Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don’t Confuse “Cincinnati Good” with “NFL Good.”
(12-28-2020, 05:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The OP probably should have asked how many of our players could start on a Super Bowl team.

If I had asked the question in this manner the answer would be ZERO!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:21 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If I had asked the question in this manner the answer would be ZERO!

I'd think Bates and Boyd would start anywhere in this league. Right now, that's about it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:23 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'd think Bates and Boyd would start anywhere in this league. Right now, that's about it.

Bates and Boyd would for sure. WJ3 is at least a CB2 on any of the playoff teams. Carl Lawson is potentially a starter on a few of them if we give him scheme versatility (OLB/DE).
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:30 AM)Au165 Wrote: Bates and Boyd would for sure. WJ3 is at least a CB2 on any of the playoff teams. Carl Lawson is potentially a starter on a few of them if we give him scheme versatility (OLB/DE).

Joe Mixon, Jonah Williams, Vonn Bell. Bell was apart of a very good Saints defense that went deep into the playoffs twice same with Mackenzie Alexander. DJ Reader is one of the better nose tackles in the NFL. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:21 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If I had asked the question in this manner the answer would be ZERO!

Nonsense.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:51 AM)Synric Wrote: Joe Mixon, Jonah Williams, Vonn Bell. Bell was apart of a very good Saints defense that went deep into the playoffs twice same with Mackenzie Alexander. DJ Reader is one of the better nose tackles in the NFL. 

I am thinking about teams currently in the SB hunt so I kind of kept that to Packers/Chiefs/Bills/Saints/Bucs/Seahawks.

Mixon-Bills/Bucs (Ronald Jones could make a case though)
Jonah-Bills
Bell- Saints/Bucs (If they had Bates though they wouldn't need Bell)
Alexander- Seattle/Bucs? (this one is tough because if we argue WJ3 is in then that takes a spot for Alexander in this hypothetical)

Reader I wasn't really counting for that question just because right now we really don't know what he is in our scheme.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 04:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: No Alexander?

Also, Reader if not on IR should be included in all lists.

Excellent points.  Alexander has been excellent in the slot CB position and has stayed fairly healthy.  I like his (sorry, Dre) swagger.  I just don't think he backs down to anyone.  
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:30 AM)Au165 Wrote: Bates and Boyd would for sure. WJ3 is at least a CB2 on any of the playoff teams. Carl Lawson is potentially a starter on a few of them if we give him scheme versatility (OLB/DE).

Agreed....

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:51 AM)Synric Wrote: Joe Mixon, Jonah Williams, Vonn Bell. Bell was apart of a very good Saints defense that went deep into the playoffs twice same with Mackenzie Alexander. DJ Reader is one of the better nose tackles in the NFL. 

I forgot Bell and Mac.... didn't consider the others because they are on IR at the moment.

Reply/Quote
The way I see it, the roster isn't devoid of talent. We just have a big drop off from starter to depth, and some guys starting that should be average backups at best.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 05:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, I believe the talent deficiency is on both lines. Their poor play has caused a lot of problems for the skill positions and game planning. 

Agreed Wyche. 
Reply/Quote
Is the answer to which current Bengals could be on Super Bowl winning rosters Xavier Williams?
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:30 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Excellent points.  Alexander has been excellent in the slot CB position and has stayed fairly healthy.  I like his (sorry, Dre) swagger.  I just don't think he backs down to anyone.  

Has anyone heard if tyler boyd will play sunday?
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 04:22 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Has anyone heard if tyler boyd will play sunday?

I have not, but I wouldn't risk a concussion for a meaningless game.  Erickson can play slot and Green and Higgins will be outside.  I really wish we could see Rose over Sims.  If Sims plays his usual game, they will attack him all day.  
Reply/Quote
Even the best NFL teams have some average/below average starters.  So You can't really say that no Bengals would start for any Super Bowl team because on of our better players might be at a position where a Super Bowl team has a weakness.

But OVERALL we lack talent and depth.  We don't need to have a great player at every position, but we need more good players at more positions.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 09:31 AM)Au165 Wrote: To answer your question

KC- Mahomes/Hill/Kelce/Jones
SEA - Metcalf/Wilson/Wagner/Adams
GB- Rodgers/Adams/Jones/Alexander

The running trend here is you need at least 4 elite guys to be a serious threat to win a SB with another group of 4 or 5 good players to go with them. The Bengals have Bates in the elite tier, and Reader could be one of those guys when he is healthy. You are then looking to Burrow and maybe a guy like Higgins or Mixon taking the next step. After that filling in with guys like a Lawson/Hubbard/Wilson/Boyd/ WJ3 could give you a group in the following tier. If you look at those teams they all have a QB and an elite weapon, that is what this team will need I think to make the jump and we have the potential for those on the roster. 

I think the emergence of Higgins has been undersold a bit here, even though it is mentioned around here occasionally. If it weren't for Justin Jefferson having an insane year I think people would be talking nationally about how great a pick Higgins really was. He has outperformed Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs/Reagor/Ayiuk up to this point and he has a shot this week to surpass 1k yards as a rookie. Had he been with a healthy Burrow all year there is no doubt he would have surpassed 1k yards on the year as he has really started showing some really good body control and tracking ability down the field lately. 

Agreed --I think Higgins and Boyd compliment each other well and with a healthy Burrows will put pressure on Defenses. Especially with a healthy Mixon who I think can give even more in the passing game. This offense is poised to make a big jump next year if they can add a few good pieces to the O-Line. 

I'm not sure that Reader will be elite but I will admit that I wasn't sold that Bates was going to emerge as the star he has become
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 05:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But OVERALL we lack talent and depth.  We don't need to have a great player at every position, but we need more good players at more positions.

Yup.
Reply/Quote