Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don’t freak out if….
Now that we’ve greatly improved our o line, what should people not freak out over if it happens? I’ll start.

1) Don’t freak out if we don’t bring in another o line. I’d still like to bring Spain back to compete with Carman. If we don’t, we’ll be just fine. Worst case scenario we have one weak link on the line. Burrow can anticipate that, the coaches can game plan for that. They couldn’t last year with 60% of the line being incompetent. Best case scenario our talented 2nd year player is up for the challenge and we have no weak links on the line.

2) Don’t freak out if we draft a receiver early. Even the first round. I know some will probably blow a gasket but with the FA they just put up we don’t have any urgent needs. CB would be nice (still think we sign one more), DT depth, TE to develop, etc are all positions we will look for, but we’ll be fine without them if we go BPA.

We should probably get used to early WR draft picks in basically every single draft. Pay Burrow, pay Chase, the rest are probably going to have to go. Maybe even be traded before their last year to get picks in return. With as much 5 wide as we run, we should really have 4 reliable WR’s especially when you consider an injury to one (or two) of the top 3. Look at the rams last year. They got lucky OBJ was cut. With the contracts WR’s have signed we will struggle to fill any injury openings we have and can’t count on an all star to get cut right when we have an injury.

Also most rookies aren’t studs year one like the last two we got so time to develop will be nice. Based on the talent in this draft I’d target round 3 for the best WR value but if the right guy is there round 1-2 don’t freak out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 08:27 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Now that we’ve greatly improved our o line, what should people not freak out over if it happens? I’ll start.

1) Don’t freak out if we don’t bring in another o line. I’d still like to bring Spain back to compete with Carman. If we don’t, we’ll be just fine. Worst case scenario we have one weak link on the line. Burrow can anticipate that, the coaches can game plan for that. They couldn’t last year with 60% of the line being incompetent. Best case scenario our talented 2nd year player is up for the challenge and we have no weak links on the line.

2) Don’t freak out if we draft a receiver early. Even the first round. I know some will probably blow a gasket but with the FA they just put up we don’t have any urgent needs. CB would be nice (still think we sign one more), DT depth, TE to develop, etc are all positions we will look for, but we’ll be fine without them if we go BPA.

We should probably get used to early WR draft picks in basically every single draft. Pay Burrow, pay Chase, the rest are probably going to have to go. Maybe even be traded before their last year to get picks in return. With as much 5 wide as we run, we should really have 4 reliable WR’s especially when you consider an injury to one (or two) of the top 3. Look at the rams last year. They got lucky OBJ was cut. With the contracts WR’s have signed we will struggle to fill any injury openings we have and can’t count on an all star to get cut right when we have an injury.

Also most rookies aren’t studs year one like the last two we got so time to develop will be nice. Based on the talent in this draft I’d target round 3 for the best WR value but if the right guy is there round 1-2 don’t freak out.

1. Bring back Reiff just in case.

2. Sign Jarvis Landry for returns. Just under 30, has the hands and speed and is durable missing only one game in 7 years before getting injured last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 08:27 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Now that we’ve greatly improved our o line, what should people not freak out over if it happens? I’ll start.

I would be on board with a WR if he was bpa at 31. I’d prefer DE, CB, DT, WR in that order at 31.
Reply/Quote

I'd freak out in the sense that I'd be excited to see Joey B get more weapons. 
Reply/Quote
I remember when they used to have Whitworth and good to great OL in their prime and they'd kind of squander it by starting Russel Bodine at center.  If they're stubborn and hard headed about things, that pattern may repeat with the LG spot.  I'd hope that they stomp on the gas pedal and refuse to anoint Carman a starter until he has soundly earned it.  I hope that he does work out as a pro, I just haven't seen enough evidence to convince me that he will as of yet.

They're at a good spot in the draft where they can pretty much go BPA.  I'd like to see some more vet presence at LG, CB2, maybe EDGE, but the draft should be wide open either way.
Reply/Quote

Carman may be "the" weak link of the current line...but he's not "a" weak link. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Would you be mad with Breece Hall in 1?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 08:36 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I remember when they used to have Whitworth and good to great OL in their prime and they'd kind of squander it by starting Russel Bodine at center.  If they're stubborn and hard headed about things, that pattern may repeat with the LG spot.  I'd hope that they stomp on the gas pedal and refuse to anoint Carman a starter until he has soundly earned it.  I hope that he does work out as a pro, I just haven't seen enough evidence to convince me that he will as of yet.

They're at a good spot in the draft where they can pretty much go BPA.  I'd like to see some more vet presence at LG, CB2, maybe EDGE, but the draft should be wide open either way.

Good point about the line. Their only as good as the weakest link. Don’t settle after doing this well with the additions.
Reply/Quote
Dont freak out over Myles Garrett ever again....

Reply/Quote
The only thing I would've freaked out over has already been addressed in a major way.

I'm not a fan - at all - of just giving LG to Carman, but I wouldn't chicken little over it.

Don't care what we do in the draft. This team doesn't have any gigantic needs, which feels crazy to say.

It's all icing the rest of the way. Would be nice to bring back Reiff. He can backup multiple spots and is solid.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 08:36 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I remember when they used to have Whitworth and good to great OL in their prime and they'd kind of squander it by starting Russel Bodine at center.  If they're stubborn and hard headed about things, that pattern may repeat with the LG spot.  I'd hope that they stomp on the gas pedal and refuse to anoint Carman a starter until he has soundly earned it.  I hope that he does work out as a pro, I just haven't seen enough evidence to convince me that he will as of yet.

Really the only option at this point, besides trading back to accumulate more picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 08:39 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Dont freak out over Myles Garrett ever again....

Miles Garrett when asked to line up on the left side when playing the Bengals. 

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b7611db05cdb69c9eaa3d31...y.gif&ct=g]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
There's not much more to freak out about but don't freak out if week keep Waynes (just to have something to add).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think a receiver at 31 is highly possible, and I'm pretty okay with it.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 08:39 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Dont freak out over Myles Garrett ever again....

I hope everyone realized Garrett will be over Jonah, not Collins.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 08:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Carman may be "the" weak link of the current line...but he's not "a" weak link. 

No he actually played pretty good on the left side, but if there’s someone better out there for just a year so he can develop more I would do it.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 08:43 PM)TKUHL Wrote: No he actually played pretty good on the left side, but if there’s someone better out there for just a year so he can develop more I would do it.

“He played good on the left side”

In such a limited amount of snaps that nobody should say with confidence that Carman will be good at LG
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 08:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I hope everyone realized Garrett will be over Jonah, not Collins.

Just a fun post...

[Image: debbie-downer-sad.gif]

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 08:43 PM)TKUHL Wrote: No he actually played pretty good on the left side, but if there’s someone better out there for just a year so he can develop more I would do it.

I'm a Carman fan and am looking forward to him @LG. It's everyone else freaking out...

They may draft someone but i don't see them signing anyone (Spain or anyone else) in FA. 

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 08:45 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: “He played good on the left side”

In such a limited amount of snaps that nobody should say with confidence that Carman will be good at LG

Unless you actually watch the snaps to see how he played...

Reply/Quote