Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Don't Say Gay?
(03-23-2022, 09:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I get what you're saying, but there has to be a limit.  If Texas decided to instill curriculum that minimized the Holocaust, or even denied it occurred, I don't think many would share your position.  I think you would remain consistent, but most people aren't you in this regard.

That's not what you said.  You claimed the law is addressing an occurrence that doesn't exist.  If the law covers something that never happens then no one could ever break it.

I can tell you when I worked in a group home I got asked sensitive questions by the kids there all the time.  In every instance I informed them that wasn't a subject that I should be discussing with them, and I worked in the 10-14 year old boys cottage.  The teacher's job is to educate kids on hard facts, not to discuss sexual topics.  Or I should say it's definitely not their purview to discuss sexual topics with children nine and younger.  A Sex Ed class at Jr. High level or higher?  No problem.  My absolute favorite high school teacher taught biology, I had him for regular and AP biology.  Every once in a while he would have a class session where we all discussed important topics.  He merely presented a topic and sometimes added a fact or two. But it was really an opportunity for us to discuss something openly among ourselves.  He didn't try and convince us of anything, his goal was to get us to think and listen to others points of view.  Of course, I was sixteen and seventeen when I took his classes, which is a far cry developmentally from a nine year old or younger.

Your position seems to be that the only thing Catelyn Jenner could possibly have to discuss with a classroom is being transgendered.  I think, unwittingly, you just reduced her as a person to being solely a transgendered person with no other identity or information to share.

If a tree doesn't exist in the woods and the GOP shows up to chop it down does anybody hear it fall? You better bet your sweet ass they will. There is a reason fox news brags about beating everybody else in the ratings. They control the narrative and they want to. They worked out the formula. It works. They keep using it.

Ignoring reality and barring others from talking about it doesn't make it go away.
Reply/Quote
I went to a catholic school and our sex ed class was highlighted by a kid in my class asking if two men can have sex and getting a simple "No." as an answer followed by a slide show of the most amazingly graphic stds that are still burned into my mind.

There was a slide of a vagina that looked like a sarlaac pit and I personally raised my hand and incredulously asked how anyone could have sex with that. The doctor, yes he was a doctor, said "Oh you know, you get a few beers in you and...." and then trailed off and switched to a slide of a penis that looked like a gnarled oak tree.

My innocence is still on the ropes from that stuff.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 11:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I went to a catholic school and our sex ed class was highlighted by a kid in my class asking if two men can have sex and getting a simple "No." as an answer followed by a slide show of the most amazingly graphic stds that are still burned into my mind.

There was a slide of a vagina that looked like a sarlaac pit and I personally raised my hand and incredulously asked how anyone could have sex with that.  The doctor, yes he was a doctor, said "Oh you know, you get a few beers in you and...." and then trailed off and switched to a slide of a penis that looked like a gnarled oak tree.  

My innocence is still on the ropes from that stuff.

gay.

whoops I cant say that

err wait, I'm supposed to say that? gay means happy
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 11:19 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: gay.

whoops I cant say that

err wait, I'm supposed to say that? gay means happy

I was reading the Confessions of Jean Jaques Rousseau and I came upon this delightful passage:

[Image: 273954233_665200091269318_58584003210170...e=62617C7E]

Also,  the Flintstones theme song assured a gay ol' time for all, but I didn't see anything gay going on.  Fred and Barney swap wives, if anything. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 09:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I get what you're saying, but there has to be a limit.  If Texas decided to instill curriculum that minimized the Holocaust, or even denied it occurred, I don't think many would share your position.  I think you would remain consistent, but most people aren't you in this regard.

And that's when you replace board members.

I am not big on education policy, it's just not my bag. I like to research and evaluate conservation policy a lot more. Conservation policy and education policy have a similarity, though. Both are fields in which states tend to have appointed boards to oversee the policies related to these areas. There is usually a board or commission for wildlife that will put in place the regulations revolving around hunting and fishing regulations. These policies are guided by experts in the field that present the science to the board members who then make decisions based on that information. These regulations are easier to change because the field is a dynamic one and has to respond to new information on a regular basis and it's important to keep them that way. Legislating wildlife conservation policy is a terrible idea for this reason.

Education works in a similar way. Many people think of education as pretty static, but that is far from the truth. There are many moving parts in the administration of our primary and secondary education in this country that requires this more timely action. Curriculum, especially, is a part of this.

I know that you didn't really argue against me, I'm just kind of expanding on my point so that way people can understand my position.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I wish this sub would spend more time on economics and less on social shit lol.

Someone in here said it and it should’ve ended the thread….this is just fake outrage over a bill/law that nobody asked for. Both sides at their best.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 09:36 AM)basballguy Wrote: I wish this sub would spend more time on economics and less on social shit lol.

Someone in here said it and it should’ve ended the thread….this is just fake outrage over a bill/law that nobody asked for.  Both sides at their best.

But the social issues are so polarizing..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 11:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was reading the Confessions of Jean Jaques Rousseau and I came upon this delightful passage:

[Image: 273954233_665200091269318_58584003210170...e=62617C7E]

Also,  the Flintstones theme song assured a gay ol' time for all, but I didn't see anything gay going on.  Fred and Barney swap wives, if anything. 

somehow words get repurposed to something completely different...    Like a word people use to slander some in that community used to be what you called a bundle of sticks
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 09:48 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: somehow words get repurposed to something completely different...    Like a word people use to slander some in that community used to be what you called a bundle of sticks

How come the bad words never get repurposed as good words?  It's always about words going bad.  

Meanwhile, we rush to add the stupidest words ever to the english language.  "Nothingburger", "Amirite", "Farmhousey".  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 12:00 PM)basballguy Wrote: How come the bad words never get repurposed as good words?  It's always about words going bad.  

I'm sure that there are more examples, but "sick" received a positive context a decade or so ago.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 04:02 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm sure that there are more examples, but "sick" received a positive context a decade or so ago.

And hasn't "bad" as well? 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 07:22 PM)Dill Wrote: And hasn't "bad" as well? 
Yep.
I'm sure there's many we're forgetting.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
https://www.si.com/more-sports/2018/07/23/goat-vs-greatest-of-all-time-debate-history

Goat used to be a giant negative, but now you're the best.
Reply/Quote
I worked with a gay guy in a produce department. He was telling a story to a boss and I about helping a customer, which he hated customer interaction, and how he helped a lady with two things outside of our department. I looked at him and said "Jerrod, that's mighty ***** of you." He laughed . . . my boss went off and I got called into the HR office. It took a third boss to come into the room to explain to them that what I said was . . . "That's mighty odd of you" and was just making a play on words, which was pretty much what I was telling them.

Jerrod thought it was hilarious never complained but I was going to be punished if the third boss didn't come in and verify my explanation. The more you know.

edit - - LOL I guess it's not allowed here either.

If you take the first two letters of QUit and use them the replace the p in pEER, you can 'figger' out what is blocked above
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 11:21 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I worked with a gay guy in a produce department. He was telling a story to a boss and I about helping a customer, which he hated customer interaction, and how he helped a lady with two things outside of our department. I looked at him and said "Jerrod, that's mighty ***** of you." He laughed . . . my boss went off and I got called into the HR office. It took a third boss to come into the room to explain to them that what I said was . . . "That's mighty odd of you" and was just making a play on words, which was pretty much what I was telling them.

Jerrod thought it was hilarious never complained but I was going to be punished if the third boss didn't come in and verify my explanation. The more you know.

If you take the first two letters of QUit and use them the replace the p in pEER, you can 'figger' out what is blocked above

If you made that joke today you'd get fired, no question.
Reply/Quote
Referring to a chair that was unbalanced, my English Aunt informed my Uncle “Pee-taah, this chair is *****!”, the look of surprise and confusion on my stepson’s face was priceless.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 11:21 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I worked with a gay guy in a produce department. He was telling a story to a boss and I about helping a customer, which he hated customer interaction, and how he helped a lady with two things outside of our department. I looked at him and said "Jerrod, that's mighty ***** of you." He laughed . . . my boss went off and I got called into the HR office. It took a third boss to come into the room to explain to them that what I said was . . . "That's mighty odd of you" and was just making a play on words, which was pretty much what I was telling them.

When I was a kid my mom sang the song "Mares eat oats" to me and that word is in it.  I was 5 or 6 and I added that word to my vocabulary, as I did with all new words.  She said it meant weird.  Yeah, first time I dropped that into a conversation you could hear the proverbial record scratch and life grind to a halt.

Side note, it's funny how much people whine that you "can't say anything these days" when I have a pocketfull of stories from 30+ years ago of me getting in hot water for "saying stuff" when I was a kid.  No fair.

(03-25-2022, 12:16 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If you made that joke today you'd get fired, no question.

We need to get back to labor unions that are at least strong enough to protect the working man from being instantly fired for stuff like this. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 07:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Side note, it's funny how much people whine that you "can't say anything these days" when I have a pocketfull of stories from 30+ years ago of me getting in hot water for "saying stuff" when I was a kid.  No fair.

You know, that's a good point. If those Boomers hadn't conditioned us in that way, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, now! Ninja
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Home of Republican who crafted Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill is destroyed by tornado

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/dont-say-gay-joe-harding-tornado-b2037924.html

No word yet on whether or not his wife has been turned into a pillar of salt yet.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 08:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We have to stop inflicting ideology into children. Geez, let them grow up and live a happy childhood instead of confusing them with stuff they don't even care about. We are robbing their innocence?

spot on Harley!
too young and too soon to try and influence them one way or another
just let them be kids for just a little while for godsakes!  
Next thing you know they will be asked to write on thier desk name tags what they identify as in kindergarten.i.e his, him omnisexual etc....
IMO middle school is a better starting point

PS I voted Dem last election  but we all are not the same!!

Reply/Quote