Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Don't blame the defense
Someone please set this thread on fire already.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 06:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Where did that damn meme of goalposts moving go...?

If you want to make a point about yards per drive, etc., please do. Here is the post i replied to.

A pathetic 31.2 yards per drive. Good for 22nd in the league. Look at where the good offenses are, look at where cincy is
[attachment=1321]

2nd to last in number of plays per drive. Some of that is big plays downfield to Jamarr Chase and Uzomah, but most of it isnt. The Lions are high up there due to garbage time. But look at the teams near cincy. Horrible offenses. New Orleans is a heavy run the ball team, dont throw ints, and play defense kind of team
[attachment=1322]

These are things on offense that NEED fixings
Reply/Quote
Y’all are silly. Really reaching hard to defend the poor defensive effort. The JETS had 32 first downs. You know who stops the offense from getting first downs? The defense. That’s the most first downs the JETS have had since 1988 in a game. For reference the record is 40. None of that was the offenses fault. All this about TOP and the defense being tired. They allowed Mike White to go 7/7 on his first drive and score a TD. When they hadn’t scored any first quarter points all year.

I know many of y’all really want to blame the Offense for everything because you’re so Butthurt about specific people we drafted.

The offense has had its share of problems, but they are not even close to the reason we lost Sunday. That defense, which has been the reason we have won some games, was THE reason we lost. Anything else is reaching HARD.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 07:19 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: A pathetic 31.2 yards per drive. Good for 22nd in the league. Look at where the good offenses are, look at where cincy is

2nd to last in number of plays per drive. Some of that is big plays downfield to Jamarr Chase and Uzomah, but most of it isnt. The Lions are high up there due to garbage time. But look at the teams near cincy. Horrible offenses. New Orleans is a heavy run the ball team, dont throw ints, and play defense kind of team

Yep. I'd say more early in games. First quarter to quarter and a half. Other than a random drive or two, they don't really seem to kick it into gear until the end of the half. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 11:21 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Let's be real here. No one is saying the offense played great or flawless or perfect or close to it. That said, they managed to score 31 points which at point had them at an 11 point lead late in the 4th QTR. To anyone saying that it's the offense that is primarily at fault that we lost are either stupid (or at least stupid when it comes to football) or have an agenda.

I don't think anyone can argue that the offense couldn't have played better on Sunday, but scoring 31 points more times than not is enough to win a game no matter the opponent. So, yes, the defense IS to blame, or, at least, PRIMARILY to blame. 

If the defense gives you the ball via turnovers 3 times and one of them being damn near in the end zone, then not sure the offense deserves credit for all the points totaled.

Still say its a team loss, yet agree with you that the defense was horrid and clearly forgot how to tackle in this game and never adjusted to the same plays being done over and over. They're not without blame at all and that's why I blame everybody.  

But all the superstars are on offense and they should score a lot every game. Just feel both sides of the ball played poorly but obviously you do not agree.  

Wonder how many top 5 first round draft selections are on the defensive side of the ball anyway ?

Yet if you think I'm stupid about football or have some forum agenda then that's perfectly ok, other Ho's have tried to hurt my feelings a time or two with condescension as well yet still Ive avoiding safe rooms to this very day.  

It's all good and it's only my opinion and if you find it foolish that's ok too,  because I find the way you so matter of factly state that humorous as well.

Carry on my wayward son. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 07:19 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: A pathetic 31.2 yards per drive. Good for 22nd in the league. Look at where the good offenses are, look at where cincy is

Plays and yards don't win games.  Points do.  And Bengals are top 10 in points per drive.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:43 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Eli Apple is a liability hope Waynes comes back soon.  D played well enough to win. the 34 points they gave up is misleading though. especially when they gift wrapped 17 for the offense and offense caused them to give up 7.

It wasn't Apple.  The middle of the defense was destroyed in coverage.  That was the LBs.  I think every team the Bengals play will do the same thing moving forward.  
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 07:19 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: These are things on offense that NEED fixings

Not going to get an argument from pretty much anybody. Doesn't mean the defense wasn't primarily responsible for the loss against the Jets.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 08:57 PM)Go Cards Wrote: If the defense gives you the ball via turnovers 3 times and one of them being damn near in the end zone, then not sure the offense deserves credit for all the points totaled.

I get the point you're making but, honestly, this argument would be like me blaming the defense for not getting the TD when the offense failed on 4th-and-goal.

(11-02-2021, 08:57 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Still say its a team loss, yet agree with you that the defense was horrid and clearly forgot how to tackle in this game and never adjusted to the same plays being done over and over. They're not without blame at all and that's why I blame everybody.  
As I said before, I don't think anyone is claiming the offense played well and to add to that I don't think people are saying that the whole team isn't to blame for the loss. That said, when your offense scores 31 points - whether assisted by great field position or even after playing below par - that's usually enough to win most games.
(11-02-2021, 08:57 PM)Go Cards Wrote: But all the superstars are on offense and they should score a lot every game. Just feel both sides of the ball played poorly but obviously you do not agree.  

So, even though I've stated that the both sides didn't play great but that the defense played worse is somehow me not saying both sides played poorly? How do you figure?
(11-02-2021, 08:57 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Yet if you think I'm stupid about football or have some forum agenda then that's perfectly ok, other Ho's have tried to hurt my feelings a time or two with condescension as well yet still Ive avoiding safe rooms to this very day.  

Where did I say I thought you were stupid about football? Only person I said anything that to was the OP. So unless you are an alt of Bengalfan4liffe27c (which is against the rules, btw), I never said that about you. I don't mind discussing opposing viewpoints with people but when you resort to making shit up, then as far as I'm concerned the discussion is over and I've won the debate.
Good day, sir.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2021, 08:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It wasn't Apple.  The middle of the defense was destroyed in coverage.  That was the LBs.  I think every team the Bengals play will do the same thing moving forward.  

The Jets were not the first team to throw the ball short over the middle (in addition to short outside) against the Bengals. I don't know what exactly happened Sunday, but it won't be that simple to burn us up every week.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2021, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Jets were not the first team to throw the ball short over the middle (in addition to short outside) against the Bengals. I don't know what exactly happened Sunday, but it won't be that simple to burn us up every week.

Actually, if you listed to "Bengal Sands" when he was on the Locked On Bengals Podcast, he said no team had attacked the Bengals with such a simple game plan, and the Bengals couldn't stop it.  He said that after watching the All-22 several times.  
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2021, 03:16 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Actually, if you listed to "Bengal Sands" when he was on the Locked On Bengals Podcast, he said no team had attacked the Bengals with such a simple game plan, and the Bengals couldn't stop it.  He said that after watching the All-22 several times.  

So he actually said no other team had thrown short against the Bengals.

From what I have seen that just is not correct. Ill go back and see if I can post some examples.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 07:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Someone please set this thread on fire already.

I second this motion.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2021, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So he actually said no other team had thrown short against the Bengals.

From what I have seen that just is not correct. Ill go back and see if I can post some examples.

Dalton was throwing short all over the bengals

Bengals had a hard time slowing down the bears offense while he was in
Reply/Quote
Mike Whites jersey is now in the pro football hall of fame… can I blame the defense now? Lol
Reply/Quote
Don't blame it on the sunshine
Don't blame it on the moonlight
Don't blame it on the good times
Blame it on the boogie
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2021, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So he actually said no other team had thrown short against the Bengals.

Sure, there would be some similar plays, the point was that they ran such a simple game plan, aside from a trick play or two, that they were shocked that the Bengals couldn't stop it and that no other team had run such a simple plan of attack.  
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2021, 08:46 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Mike Whites jersey is now in the pro football hall of fame… can I blame the defense now? Lol

Why would you blame the defense? It's the OFFENSE'S fault that Mike White threw for over 400 yards in leading the Jets to over 500 yards of total offense and giving up 34 points. How can people not see that?  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2021, 08:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Sure, there would be some similar plays, the point was that they ran such a simple game plan, aside from a trick play or two, that they were shocked that the Bengals couldn't stop it and that no other team had run such a simple plan of attack.  

My point is that other teams have already tried the exact same thing and it did not work like it did for the Jets.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2021, 09:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: My point is that other teams have already tried the exact same thing and it did not work like it did for the Jets.

I think it worked on third and long when it couldn't hurt you (for the first down) and the Jets just said "Hey, we will do this on first down, second down, and third down".  
Reply/Quote