Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't worry guys
(08-10-2016, 09:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh, I could have sworn I saw our defense running into the tunnel in victory before the game against the Steelers was over, but it's good to know it was Dalton's thumb and no amount of short-sightedness that ruined the season.

And you think with the season Dalton was putting together that the steelers game would have even been close? Mccarron playing like poo for 3 1/2 quarters was heaven sent for Pittsburgh. Literally had zero to do with the team focusing too much on Denver and New England.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 09:27 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: And you think with the season Dalton was putting together that the steelers game would have even been close? Mccarron playing like poo for 3 1/2 quarters was heaven sent for Pittsburgh. Literally had zero to do with the team focusing too much on Denver and New England.

Good point...if Dalton is ANYTHING it's lights-out in the playoffs.  What the hell was I thinking?  I don't know why we didn't even make the rest of the team surrender when Dalton broke his thumb.  Maybe when Dalton hangs up his cleats Mike Brown can sell the team to some zillionaire in London.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 09:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Good point...if Dalton is ANYTHING it's lights-out in the playoffs.  What the hell was I thinking?  I don't know why we didn't even make the rest of the team surrender when Dalton broke his thumb.  Maybe when Dalton hangs up his cleats Mike Brown can sell the team to some zillionaire in London.

Nope but I know what I saw in that football game. what I saw was a focused team in a winnable game despite a second year backup QB that was in over his head. What I did not see was a team that was overlooking the task at hand focusing on DEN and NE. It is asinine to claim they were too focused on those other teams.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 03:01 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: Me too!  I missed all the discussions (though I fear I have gotten WAY less work done today already LOL)  But there's always tomorrow, right?  (Clearly I'm a Bengals fan through and through  LOL)

Welcome to the best Board Jonesy! Rock On

Sucked the way they left everyone hanging, thank God for Bengalholic and the boyz.

Cause this is way better anyways. Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 09:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Good point...if Dalton is ANYTHING it's lights-out in the playoffs.  What the hell was I thinking?  I don't know why we didn't even make the rest of the team surrender when Dalton broke his thumb.  Maybe when Dalton hangs up his cleats Mike Brown can sell the team to some zillionaire in London.

From the way Dalton was playing all last season this is a dumb post from a fellow Nate.

Dalton would of played better than McCarron did in that game, period. But we will never know for sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 09:25 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: There's a big difference between the NFL years ago and now.

Yes. Eifert was a big part of the offense. But so what stopped them from using Gresham like Eifert exactly?
Yes. Gio missed games. But remember, who took his place when he went down? Hill. And didn't Hill have over 350 yards in those 3 games and become the starter because of that?
Hue was here for a year before he was OC. And he's been a part of Marvin's system before. And he has been an OC and HC since leaving here as well. Hue has a resume.
Green played the full 1st game against the Steelers where he had 221 yards. The next and final game is where he got hurt. And he was only out for 6 plays at the end of the game.

It's not fantasy stats. Stats are stats. He had 21 TDs to 18 turnovers. That's just bad for a QB.
Mark Sanchez had a better QB rating that year. As did both Shaun Hill and Austin Davis.
And so did Bridgewater and Kyle Orton.

I get what you're saying. They won games. Awesome. But that doesn't mean you can't critique someone's play that year. Dalton had a bad campaign in 2014.

I mean, Mark Sanchez had a VERY identical year in 2010 as Dalton's 2014. But we all criticize Sanchez's game, even back then, right?

2015 Dalton played great. There's no denying that. But there's also no denying that he had a poor outing in 2014. I mean, it's not like we didn't have a running game with Hill.

Yeah, it was a bad stats year, no doubt.  The point I was making about fantasy is that people become too enamored with stats and fail to see the big picture these days. Isn't winning games what it's all about?  Winning ONE game got a guy with 220 INTs vs 173 TDs into the HOF.

What stopped them from using Gresh like Eifert?  Gresh.  How many drops? How many drive killing penalties? (Miami ring a bell?  Cost us a TD that game, which would've won the game).  Gresham is just not as good as Eifert.  They did use him.  He dropped balls, fumbled, and penalized his way out of town.  Plus, he was playing injured, we now know.

I know Hue had a resume, but there is usually an adjustment period to a new OC, you know this.  Plus, this was the first year they gave him "free reign" at the line of scrimmage, if memory serves.

Yes, Hill performed well, but there are always adjustments you have to make when you switch personnel, especially to a rookie.  This team did well at overcoming quite a bit of obstacles that season, and your QB is your leader.  As I said, I saw a lot of grit out of him that season.  Remember the awful game at Tampa?  Where they were pumping him full of IVs?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 10:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Welcome to the best Board Jonesy! Rock On

Sucked the way they left everyone hanging, thank God for Bengalholic and the boyz.

Cause this is way better anyways. Cool

SO glad to be back!!  Miss my fellow orange and black fanatics!  Still trying to get caught up, and perhaps this question would be best suited to be its own thread, but what happened to the old boards?  Did Bengals FO make the webmaster get rid of it?  Did threads get out of control?  I totally missed whatever happened  LOL
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 09:49 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Nope but I know what I saw in that football game. what I saw was a focused team in a winnable game despite a second year backup QB that was in over his head. What I did not see was a team that was overlooking the task at hand focusing on DEN and NE. It is asinine to claim they were too focused on those other teams.

The team literally ran into the tunnel holding up the "We're number 1" finger and then proceeded to lose the game.  If that isn't overlooking a team I don't know what is.  But by all means, let's just act like the way an NFL team conducts itself after their QB gets injured is completely irrelevant.

(08-10-2016, 10:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: From the way Dalton was playing all last season this is a dumb post from a fellow Nate.

Dalton would of played better than McCarron did in that game, period. But we will never know for sure.

We can only speculate, but yes he mostly like would have played much better in that game.  That doesn't excuse Hill from fumbling, the defense for letting an injured QB throw down the field, or any of that other crap that happened during the collapse.  I know as fans many of us were wondering if we were going to play NE or Denver the next week, so it's pretty clear we all declared mission accomplished before we were out of the woods. 

We blew it, but again...I guess Dalton's thumb blew the entire season.  What a jerk he was to break his thumb and make the rest of the team unable to close out the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 12:35 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: SO glad to be back!!  Miss my fellow orange and black fanatics!  Still trying to get caught up, and perhaps this question would be best suited to be its own thread, but what happened to the old boards?  Did Bengals FO make the webmaster get rid of it?  Did threads get out of control?  I totally missed whatever happened  LOL

The team pulled the plug.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 01:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The team literally ran into the tunnel holding up the "We're number 1" finger and then proceeded to lose the game.  If that isn't overlooking a team I don't know what is.  But by all means, let's just act like the way an NFL team conducts itself after their QB gets injured is completely irrelevant.

We can only speculate, but yes he mostly like would have played much better in that game.  That doesn't excuse Hill from fumbling, the defense for letting an injured QB throw down the field, or any of that other crap that happened during the collapse.  I know as fans many of us were wondering if we were going to play NE or Denver the next week, so it's pretty clear we all declared mission accomplished before we were out of the woods. 

We blew it, but again...I guess Dalton's thumb blew the entire season.  What a jerk he was to break his thumb and make the rest of the team unable to close out the Steelers.

Ok you speculate on what the team may or may not have been thinking at the end of that game and I'll speculate on whether or not our MVP candidate QB would have played better than a backup that crapped the bed most of the game. If mccarron could have given just TWO quality quarters we win that game. He didn't. Shame on me for believing Andy would have.

You can also speculate that Jeremy hill fumbled because he was thinking about NE and DEN while I speculate that he could have been overly focused and possibly trying too hard to get the first down to ice the game that he let his guard down on basic ball carrying fundamentals.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 02:21 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Ok you speculate on what the team may or may not have been thinking at the end of that game and I'll speculate on whether or not our MVP candidate QB would have played better than a backup that crapped the bed most of the game. If mccarron could have given just TWO quality quarters we win that game. He didn't. Shame on me for believing Andy would have.

You can also speculate that Jeremy hill fumbled because he was thinking about NE and DEN while I speculate that he could have been overly focused and possibly trying too hard to get the first down to ice the game that he let his guard down on basic ball carrying fundamentals.

I think every year we (meaning us, more than the team) tend to overlook the Steelers because we are wondering if we can win an AFC Championship game in Foxborough.  Anyways, I'm surprised you even bothered watching the game if you knew we had no chance to win without Dalton.  I hope you weren't too happy when you turned out to be right, though.

Anyways, we can put the "Woulda beaten the Steelers with Dalton" trophy next to the one Palmer shoulda gotten in 2005. Tough luck, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 01:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: The team pulled the plug.

Well, God bless the folks that resurrected the boards here!!! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 02:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think every year we (meaning us, more than the team) tend to overlook the Steelers because we are wondering if we can win an AFC Championship game in Foxborough.  Anyways, I'm surprised you even bothered watching the game if you knew we had no chance to win without Dalton.  I hope you weren't too happy when you turned out to be right, though.

Anyways, we can put the "Woulda beaten the Steelers with Dalton" trophy next to the one Palmer shoulda gotten in 2005.  Tough luck, I guess.

It is a fair assessment that fans do in fact look ahead, so I agree. But you can put me down in permanent marker as one who believes what we as fans think or do has no impact on the team and the outcome of their games.

Also, nowhere did I say I went into that game thinking there was no chance. I was cautiously optimistic due to the talent this team had (has). In fact, I told my brother before the game that I hoped mccarron  played lights out and won the game, continued winning and won the super bowl. I told him I didn't care if Andy Dalton never took another snap for Cincinnati so long as that meant AJ Mccarron was the best option for the team. I could not care less  about who plays what position as long as the Cincinnati Bengals are winning football games. So there's that.

And should those trophies go next to the "woulda beaten the steelers if we didn't Think about Denver and New England" trophy?

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 03:59 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: And should those trophies go next to the "woulda beaten the steelers if we didn't Think about Denver and New England" trophy?

Again, I'm not one of those attitude over all else people, but I have to admit the Bengals running into the tunnel in "victory" after picking off Laundry Jones ranks right up there with "Dewey Defeats Truman" in the world of pride goeth before the fall.  Anyways, here is some rep for arguing with me.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 04:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Again, I'm not one of those attitude over all else people, but I have to admit the Bengals running into the tunnel in "victory" after picking off Laundry Jones ranks right up there with "Dewey Defeats Truman" in the world of pride goeth before the fall.  Anyways, here is some rep for arguing with me.

I thank you and return the favor. Rock On

Reply/Quote