Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dooms Day hasn't hit us yet.
This isn't about being a "yes man"

It's about having coaches and coordinators that don't shrink when the moment gets big and can make adjustments.

You can't tell me that there isn't enough talent on the roster over the past 7 years to win a few playoff games. The players reflect the coaches. Does Andy always shrink in big moments? Pretty much, do the coaches tend to shrink in the big games? Yep.

Get some coaches in here with some swagger and some balls.
Reply/Quote
It clearly looks like the players finally quit on Marv.

MB needs to retire and turn the team over to Katie, then we can get a decent GM and do this thing right.

I am actually excited for the rebuild. I knew we were never going to win a Playoff game under Marv anyway.
Reply/Quote
If a new HC comes in it will be the 90's all over, it is time to realize Marvin is the only coach who will and can get us over the hump, we must give him more time. 15 Years is not enough.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: This isn't about being a "yes man"

It's about having coaches and coordinators that don't shrink when the moment gets big and can make adjustments.  

You can't tell me that there isn't enough talent on the roster over the past 7 years to win a few playoff games.  The players reflect the coaches.  Does Andy always shrink in big moments?  Pretty much, do the coaches tend to shrink in the big games?  Yep.

Get some coaches in here with some swagger and some balls.

Exactly. Same script different cast....

Remember Carson, yea that choke artist that led his team to the NFCC
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Make no mistake, Doomsday was August 5th 1991 - the day Mike Brown assumed command.

[Image: f_mb_zpsvyz9npsu.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I can't stand his politics, but the only real hope might be for someone like Clooney to buy the team. We need someone who would get a greater sense of accomplishment seeing a winning team as opposed to simply running a profitable business.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 07:37 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I can't stand his politics, but the only real hope might be for someone like Clooney to buy the team.  We need someone who would get a greater sense of accomplishment seeing a winning team as opposed to simply running a profitable business.

That's a very novel idea, but LA just went from 0 to 2 teams this year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 07:37 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I can't stand his politics, but the only real hope might be for someone like Clooney to buy the team.  We need someone who would get a greater sense of accomplishment seeing a winning team as opposed to simply running a profitable business.

Wow, never thought of that.
Reply/Quote

If Clooney were to buy a team in Cincinnati it would probably be the Reds and not the Bungles.. 
Hey, I'm still a Reds fan too.. In fact, I'm more a Reds fan than a Bungles fan..  I could quit being a Bungali ,but I'll never quit on the Reds..   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 09:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Exactly. Just look at the Saints if you want a little hope. They were a terrible franchise until they found the right coach and the right QB. Never know what the future holds...

Difference is old man Benson didn’t fancy himself as a football savant and promote himself to GM. They also made their money elsewhere and didn’t squeeze the organization and town for every penny.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:51 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Difference is old man Benson didn’t fancy himself  as a football savant and promote himself  to GM.  They also made their money elsewhere and didn’t squeeze the organization and town for every penny.

That's the other great irony with the Bengals...like 90% of the other owners know they aren't football people so they put smart people in charge, stand aside, and reap all the rewards.

The Bengals are terrible at managing a football team, yet they bristle at the criticism, and talk about how they do things the way they have to.
Reply/Quote
Mike is not going anywhere till he is ready to go he wont be forced out by fans or media. It is really a waste of time discussing it he will pass the torch when he is ready. When he hired Marvin we was one of the worst teams in the NFL and was that way for a long time. So he did not have the greatest pool of people to chose from but now we have a decent team with talent I think we can have much better coaches join the team this time. Not to mention that Marvin had this job for 15 years and that says a lot about job security if the new coach can produce and get wins and playoff wins.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 12:05 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Mike is not going anywhere till he is ready to go he wont be forced out by fans or media. It is really a waste of time discussing it he will pass the torch when he is ready. When he hired Marvin we was one of the worst teams in the NFL and was that way for a long time. So he did not have the greatest pool of people to chose from but now we have a decent team with talent I think we can have much better coaches join the team this time. Not to mention that Marvin had this job for 15 years and that says a lot about job security if the new coach can produce and get wins and playoff wins.

Marvin was the hot candidate at the time. It's not like they hired some coaching retread.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 12:07 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Marvin was the hot candidate at the time. It's not like they hired some coaching retread.

He was unproven as a head coach he was a defensive cord it was not like he was a head coach with a good track record.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 12:10 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: He was unproven as a head coach he was a defensive cord it was not like he was a head coach with a good track record.

How many great HC's with proven track records are available anytime?

Jon Gruden isn't coming here. Pretty much the best you can hope for is a hot coordinator candidate.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 05:54 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: If a new HC comes in it will be the 90's all over, it is time to realize Marvin is the only coach who will and can get us over the hump, we must give him more time.  15 Years is not enough.

I'm new to the board, so forgive me if I don't know everyone's personality yet.  Are you serious or being sarcastic?

Agreed on the fact we could return to the '90's, but that type of thinking is "playing not to lose."  Which is one of the biggest complaints of Marv as head coach.  We could also end up with a coach that takes us to the next level.  We need to "play to win" and bring in somebody who will do the same for the team.

One thing is overwhelmingly apparent -- Marv is not the coach to get this team over the hump.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 09:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You can talk about it until you are blue in the face, but we won't know until we know.....

Totally agree with Sled here and he sums it up quite nicely. We already know what we get with Marvin and a Lombardi isn't in our future with him. Do we really want to take pride in a team that makes the playoff's every year but cant get a playoff victory? Even if your rebuttal was eventually he will win in the playoffs, do we really want to wait another 10-15yrs to do that, even if possible with Marvin? In addition, do we really want the media and others, after an extremely long era of no wins to root for us to finally get one like they would hope for someone in the Special Olympics to finally cross the finish line after running the lap in the wrong direction? 

We've got to move on from Marvin. If the next HC doesn't work, we have to move on from him and continue that process until we get a winner. 

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 06:46 AM)JB Bengal Wrote: I'm new to the board, so forgive me if I don't know everyone's personality yet.  Are you serious or being sarcastic?

Agreed on the fact we could return to the '90's, but that type of thinking is "playing not to lose."  Which is one of the biggest complaints of Marv as head coach.  We could also end up with a coach that takes us to the next level.  We need to "play to win" and bring in somebody who will do the same for the team.

One thing is overwhelmingly apparent -- Marv is not the coach to get this team over the hump.

Marlon was being sarcastic.
Reply/Quote