Poll: Doubling down on linebackers in rounds 1 & 2 - POLL
I would be totally disgusted by this strategy
Not feeling it but it would not totally disgust me
Could be worse, could be better so I have mixed feelings about it
Not excited but we could roll with it & give it a whirl
I would be totally excited about this strategy
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Doubling down on making a weakness into a strength - LB upgrade POLL
(04-12-2019, 02:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: nah I stay away from that approach.
everytime the Bengals doubled down its backfired.
Thurman Pollack
Oguebhi Fischer

the Bengals have too many needs on the horizan to be doubling down.

I kind of feel like the OP is reflecting back to when the Bengals took Takeo Spikes and Brian Simmons with the 13th and 17th picks in the 1998 draft.  It worked well then, but that was a completely different era of Pro Football.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:19 PM)depthchart Wrote: As of now, I want an Offensive Tackle in round 1 but I often entertain OUT of the Box ideas.

How would you feel if the Bengals doubled down on making a weakness into a strength. (assumes Devin White is not available at pick #11)

They take Devin Bush LB in round 1 and Mack Wilson LB in round 2.  (or Devin Bush round 1 and another Top 2nd round linebacker)

Starting in round 3 they can begin addressing O-line or DL or DT etc.

After round two the Bengals have BOTH Devin Bush & Mack Wilson (or other 2nd round LB) on their roster adding two speedy linebackers right off the bat.

How would you feel if this was their Strategy ?   To double down on linebackers early.

Take the POLL...     it will be up in a moment

I personally do not want either of these linebackers,do not buy into all the hype,there are other linebackers in this draft that are better than these two and we can get one in the 3rd or 4th.We NEED Andre Dillard,O-line and Ed Oliver for our defense,top top players and day one starters.We need to get this right.You first two picks MUST be day one starters.You build a great team starting with your lines and that is how all great teams win.This is a no brainer folks and we have a couple guys in the wings that goofy marvin would not play that is waiting for their chance. We can draft a top linebacker in rounds 3-4.Believe this.No linebackers in the first,go get Taylor or Dillard or any of the top O-linemen,they will be gone by end of the second.This draft is DEEP in defense and not so much with O-linemen.Gotta grab a top one early. ThumbsUp :andy:
Reply/Quote
we need a OT cause Cordy Glenn has a small window left of playing at a high level...WHEN HEALTHY.
if Glenn goes down then who plays LT?
Reply/Quote
Eh im torn. Landing one of the Devin's would be an immediate upgrade to the linebackers, but passing up on a need like OT in round 2 seems risky.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 04:20 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: .No linebackers in the first,go get Taylor or Dillard or any of the top O-linemen,they will be gone by end of the second.This draft is DEEP in defense and not so much with O-linemen. Gotta grab a top one early.

(04-12-2019, 04:21 PM)impactplaya Wrote: we need a OT cause Cordy Glenn has a small window left of playing at a high level...WHEN HEALTHY.

I agree that we need O-line early but do the Bengals feel this way.

Based on the 3 year deal they gave Hart and them bringing in John Miller they may be content with the starting O-line they have.

Glenn - Boling - Price - Miller - Hart

If they are content, then they may not start thinking O-line until round 3 or 4 which could mean LB, DT, TE or DE are the possible round 1 and 2 targets.

They seemed content in the 2018 draft with a more unproven Hart penciled in as a starter. They may feel even more content with Hart now as his recent payday suggests.
Reply/Quote
Watch, the Bengals will do something totally different and take a TE.

Reply/Quote
Sounds like back-to-back reaches to me. Pass.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 04:21 PM)impactplaya Wrote: we need a OT cause Cordy Glenn has a small window left of playing at a high level...WHEN HEALTHY.

right now boiling
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 05:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Watch, the Bengals will do something totally different and take a TE.

only if we trade back to the 21st spot
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:49 PM)depthchart Wrote: It's really not my Strategy.

Just seeing how people might view an out of the box idea.

Guess I phrased that wrong.  Sorry.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Well we have the worst linebacking unit in the NFL do yeah. I would not mind.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 01:07 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Well we have the worst linebacking unit in the NFL do yeah.  I would not mind.

We also have one of the worst Offensive Lines in the league.  Do you not mind letting that continue to be the case?  This isn't the NFL from 30 years ago, when your base defense played 70% of snaps.  3 LBs are on the field roughly 1/3 of all downs, in the modern NFL.  Assuming that Brown is going to remain healthy and regain his form, we only need one (1) high quality LB to pair with him.

The OL, on the other hand..  You need 5 quality guys, as well as a few capable of starting to be on the bench, in order to avoid being one dimensional in the NFL.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:19 PM)depthchart Wrote: As of now, I want an Offensive Tackle in round 1 but I often entertain OUT of the Box ideas.

How would you feel if the Bengals doubled down on making a weakness into a strength. (assumes Devin White is not available at pick #11)

They take Devin Bush LB in round 1 and Mack Wilson LB in round 2.  (or Devin Bush round 1 and another Top 2nd round linebacker)

Starting in round 3 they can begin addressing O-line or DL or DT etc.

After round two the Bengals have BOTH Devin Bush & Mack Wilson (or other 2nd round LB) on their roster adding two speedy linebackers right off the bat.

How would you feel if this was their Strategy ?   To double down on linebackers early.

Take the POLL...     it will be up in a moment

I voted could be worse. Think we need a OT with one of our first two picks. I honestly believe that if our new LB coach is a good one, Linebacker is not as big of a weakness as it was when Haslett was here. Turner will need all the help he can get with the O-line. Need some talent at RT, Hart is not the answer and even Glenn was disappointing last season IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 02:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We also have one of the worst Offensive Lines in the league.  Do you not mind letting that continue to be the case?  This isn't the NFL from 30 years ago, when your base defense played 70% of snaps.  3 LBs are on the field roughly 1/3 of all downs, in the modern NFL.  Assuming that Brown is going to remain healthy and regain his form, we only need one (1) high quality LB to pair with him.

The OL, on the other hand..  You need 5 quality guys, as well as a few capable of starting to be on the bench, in order to avoid being one dimensional in the NFL.

We have no one above average at linebacker. Brown is our best player but I don’t recall him doing anything last year after that one interception against the Colts. Everyone else sucks. We need a coverage linebacker. They couldn’t cover my grandma last year. They were that bad.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d be down. Our LBers are horrible. Worst position group by far.

This ^^^.   It will be like last season, except new coaches to sweat it out, same problem. I don't think both LB drafts will have the results we want, so I'd only go with one LB instead of both.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 02:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We also have one of the worst Offensive Lines in the league.  Do you not mind letting that continue to be the case?  This isn't the NFL from 30 years ago, when your base defense played 70% of snaps.  3 LBs are on the field roughly 1/3 of all downs, in the modern NFL.  Assuming that Brown is going to remain healthy and regain his form, we only need one (1) high quality LB to pair with him.

Is it possible that the O-line would play better as a result of a better defense?

Teams were able to pin their ears back and rush the passer all day long with how bad our defense was. 

Improve the defense, and it ALSO improves the O-line imo.
Reply/Quote
We need linebacking help bad. What we have his bad. Really bad
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 03:57 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We have no one above average at linebacker.   Brown is our best player but I don’t recall him doing anything last year after that one interception against the Colts. Everyone else sucks.   We need a coverage linebacker.  They couldn’t cover my grandma last year. They were that bad.

We need one (1) good coverage LB, for sure.  But spending the top two (2) picks on a pair of LBs is just plain short sighted thinking.

(04-13-2019, 04:51 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Is it possible that the O-line would play better as a result of a better defense?

To answer your question, no.  However, having an OL that allows the offense to score more will definitely allow the defense to have a much easier day, but turning the pass rush loose on teams trying to play catch-up football.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm starting to think that a 2 year plan might be best. In each year build 1 specific position group with the best available players then attack the next position group the following season. Year one concentrate on the worst group and do the same the following season, but this also has its flaws as other position groups may weaken as time goes on.  They really can't rely on 5th and 6th round players to shore up every group without getting really lucky..  
Then again I'm no draft savant.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not in favor of taking two LBs with early picks.  I would be fine with one early, and another in mid or even later rounds.  The OL needs too much improvement, to just allow all of those talented 1st and 2nd round picks to go to other teams.

This.  If LB was the only glaring need, that would be different.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote