Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Class Is Getting More Praise From PFF!
Cincy Jungle has an article about how PFF is praising our draft class:

Quote:Rodney Dangerfield may have been thinking about the Cincinnati Bengals when he said, “I can’t get no respect.”

That's really nothing new, and I'd say "until we win a playoff game," but I think we'd need to win at least two to get any respect.

Quote: But at least one national publication might disagree. Pro Football Focus recognizes the strides the Bengals are making under head coach Zac Taylor, and tabbed Cincinnati’s 2020 NFL Draft class as the best in the NFL.

PFF has a pretty high opinion of their 2021 class, as well. In its annual Fantasy Football Rookie Scouting Report, PFF named five of the Bengals’ 10 selections among the top 10 rookies at their positions.

PFF is pretty hard to top in credibility and, even though it's just projections, it makes me feel pretty good.

Quote:Leading the way, of course, was former LSU wide receiver and Cincinnati’s first-round selection Ja’Marr Chase, who was projected to be the top rookie receiver.

No real surprise there but it does have to get you at least a little excited that PFF is projecting him to have the best year of an rookie receiver and doesn't think we'll ruin him. It's also worth noting that this was a deep and talented receiving draft class, which gives that comment even more merit.

Quote:Something of a surprise was Chris Evans, the former Michigan running back who the Bengals nabbed with pick No. 202 in the sixth round. Evans, who was No. 106 on PFF’s Big Board, came in at No. 7 among rookie running backs.

You have to love Evans being ranked that high, especially since we got him in the sixth round and I think he's really starting to develop more. He already has the physical tools- speed, agility, hands, playmaking ability- so we just need to use him correctly as a change-of-pace back and we'll be asking ourselves "Gio who?"

(Loved Gio and what he did for us, but moving on is the nature of the beast.)

Quote:Clemson’s Jackson Carman, who Cincinnati traded back for in the middle of the second round, was forecasted to be the ninth-best rookie offensive tackle. While many publications considered Carman to be something of a reach for the Bengals, PFF had him ranked No. 48 on its Big Board.

I've said it over and over again: this team can be special if we can protect Burrow and win in the trenches on defense.

Quote:Former inside linebacker and converted edge rusher Joseph Ossai of Texas, whom Cincinnati selected in the third round with pick No. 69, was projected as the ninth-best rookie edge rusher, while massive defensive tackle Tyler Shelvin of LSU was designated as the No. 10 rookie defensive lineman.

Like I said, winning in the trenches on defense- stopping the run and getting after the passer- is going to be HUGE in our team's success because, if we have an offensive line, we can control that part of the game, but you can't fully control a game if the other team can control the clock and flow of the game.

Quote:Both Chase and Shelvin are already impressing in rookie minicamp, and Evans is off to a fast start, as well. Of course, there is still a long way to go until the opening of the regular season, and a 17-game schedule is sure to take its toll. But it’s good to know that the Bengals finally seem to be earning some respect. Now, we can only hope that respect translates into another successful rookie campaign.

It does feel good to finally be getting a bit of respect, so now we just need to put it on the field.

WHO-DEY!
Reply/Quote
They really just need to stay healthy for a change... and Lou Anarumo “maturing” as a DC would help immensely
Reply/Quote
They need to not have anymore season ending injuries on defense. Injuries happen, but avoiding season ending injuries would go a long way.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 05:43 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: They really just need to stay healthy for a change... and Lou Anarumo “maturing” as a DC would help immensely

Maturing would help.

So would having an actual defensive strategy.
Reply/Quote
Agree with injuries being a key factor, our first round pick NEEDS to play this year for it to be a top Draft.

Been crazy the luck we have had with injuries to our first round picks as of late.

I think the Ossai, D'Ante, Trey Hill, Shelvin and Chris Evans picks could be major steals. Also like Cam Sample.

Hard to not like this Draft hitting the trenches like they did.

Carman is underrated here as they are calling him an OT, dude is a Guard, made for the Guard position.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 07:20 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Maturing would help.

Yeah... I was trying to be polite for some reason
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 08:04 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yeah... I was trying to be polite for some reason

Hey man, you are just a nice guy Pat. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 08:04 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yeah... I was trying to be polite for some reason

Unless Lou has a gun on your family, give that dude zero credit until he proves he's capable.
Reply/Quote

Don't forget halftime adjustments.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 09:16 PM)2slick Wrote: Don't forget halftime adjustments.

That's media talk...

...for competent coaching.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 09:40 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: That's media talk...

...for competent coaching.

Journalistic jargon eh...
Reply/Quote
Isn't PFF owned by Cris Collinsworth? The same guy who was the only Bengals legend on team Chase? Just saying the big chief might have a little influence on why they're gushing over there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 09:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Isn't PFF owned by Cris Collinsworth? The same guy who was the only Bengals legend on team Chase? Just saying the big chief might have a little influence on why they're gushing over there.

Could be, was thinking a bit of the same thing. The biggest pick to really help this team in my opinion is Jackson Carman who is
glossed over pretty much. Ossai is probably the pick that will blow people away as he is a versatile playmaking End/Slash LB who 
is just a natural at getting tackles for loss and can get to the QB. Seeing a lot of Chase love from PFF here.

Not that he isn't a great pick, it is just Collinsworth loves the guy and seems to have a bit of an LSU bias.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 10:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Could be, was thinking a bit of the same thing. The biggest pick to really help this team in my opinion is Jackson Carman who is
glossed over pretty much. Ossai is probably the pick that will blow people away as he is a versatile playmaking End/Slash LB who 
is just a natural at getting tackles for loss and can get to the QB. Seeing a lot of Chase love from PFF here.

Not that he isn't a great pick, it is just Collinsworth loves the guy and seems to have a bit of an LSU bias.

Right. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's wheaties, and most publications do seem to like our draft. Just think it's worth mentioning. Cris was strongly on the Chase side.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 09:02 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Unless Lou has a gun on your family, give that dude zero credit until he proves he's capable.

I actually said something similar to a fellow poster on these boards during the home loss to the Browns LOL

Can’t a guy just try to be nice for a change?
Reply/Quote

What defensive strategy would you deploy?
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 07:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with injuries being a key factor, our first round pick NEEDS to play this year for it to be a top Draft.

Been crazy the luck we have had with injuries to our first round picks as of late.

I think the Ossai, D'Ante, Trey Hill, Shelvin and Chris Evans picks could be major steals. Also like Cam Sample.

Hard to not like this Draft hitting the trenches like they did.

Carman is underrated here as they are calling him an OT, dude is a Guard, made for the Guard position.

I love the fact that Chase didn't play last year and be worn out coming in to his rookie season.  All the games, post-season games, then combine prep and right in to OTAs....it seemed to wear out a lot of guys.  I don't know if Higgins was ever 100% healthy with his hamstring issue (that is kind of exciting to think given what he accomplished).  

I understand what you are saying about Jackson being made for the guard position, but there is still a chance he ends up being the RT of the future.  Very excited about him and how the right side of the line will look this year.  I, for one, kind of enjoy the continual questioning of the "lack of emphasis on the offensive line" narrative as it has to piss off the likes of Carman, Spain, Reiff, etc.  You could kind of sense the annoyance when Burrow was asked if the moves in the offseason can "keep him upright".

I don't have one single thing I love most about this draft, but two major components are getting the amazing weapon in Chase and the slide in Rd 2, where they STILL got Carman and added the likes of Shelvin and Smith at critical depth positions.  It also allowed them to get the top kicker in the draft perhaps a little earlier because they had already addressed so many needs by the 5th round.  

Time will tell on Smith if he can put the weight on and keep it on.  He probably won't be asked to do much this season barring injuries, but he could be a very valuable long term piece.  Shelvin and McPherson will contribute significantly this year. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

I’m not by any means a Lou A backer, but I don’t know if any strategy could look successful with the personnel he’s worked with. As Mike Tyson said “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

Definitely agree with the sentiments regarding injury. Losing Reader was like taking a sledgehammer and knocking out a giant hole from a super leaky dam.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 10:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's wheaties, and most publications do seem to like our draft. Just think it's worth mentioning. Cris was strongly on the Chase side.

I would have preferred an O-lineman with our first pick but I still think Chase was the best WR in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 05:43 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: They really just need to stay healthy for a change... and Lou Anarumo “maturing” as a DC would help immensely

The D had their moments despite a shortage of talent. I know it is not fashionable to give him any credit but I seem to recall it was Lou who came up with the gameplan to keep the Raven's offense in check that others then deployed. The final score didn't do it justice but that was more down to offensive failings with an interception and a couple of fumbles continually surrendering field position.

I also think the bigger issue has been the lack of investment in the D.

Just the one first round pick spent on D in the last 7 drafts - the now departed WJIII. And in that time period they've only spent one second round pick (Jessie Bates) on D as well. Has a team ever successfully built a D whilst investing so little in it? Whilst they've invested money on D in the last two free agencies those signings have played a combined 4 and a half games. Combine that with a lack of depth and you're asking for trouble. Hopefully all the D-linemen drafted this year and the likes of Apple and Allen in the secondary offer a greater level of protection when the starters go down.
Reply/Quote