Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Draft Grades for Pick 28 Myles Murphy
(04-28-2023, 02:01 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: bengals fans really take it personal when a player leaves on a bad note lmao 

I dont care, he didnt want to spend his twilight years on a rebuilding team. When he was here, in his prime, and a key part of those Dalton playoff teams, the dude was great

He was very disruptive no question and one of the best Ends, if not the best we have ever had. I will give him that.

But I like where we are presently with our End situation, especially with the Murphy addition and Ossai finally growing into what
he could be. Add a DT like Keeanu Benton that can get pass rush from the interior and we are set on the DL.
Reply/Quote
Making the pass rush better is never a bad thing. I doubt Trey H is re-signed so hopefully this pick is a home run!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, it's almost like if you selected a player in the 1st round that they had rated as a 1st round talent, it validates their ratings of players and therefore you get an 'attaboy' for making them look good.  However, if you selected a player outside of the group that they felt should be in that selection range, you made a 'reach' and get a sub-optimal grade for bucking the protocol.  But, what if your evaluators saw something in a player that others missed, and they work out just fine?  Well, then you got lucky and your 'gamble' paid off..

FWIW, I'm fine with our pick.  I feel like it was a bit of a 'safe' pick, but I can rationalize why they went that direction.  Quality pass rushers are expensive on the open market, and as much as I like our starting front four, having fresh legs to rotate in keeps the pressure on those opposing QBs.

Yup

I like our D-line as well but to be totally honest we struggled getting pressure on opposing QB's in many games last season. Hopefully Myles can help out there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 06:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

I like our D-line as well but to be totally honest we struggled getting pressure on opposing QB's in many games last season. Hopefully Myles can help out there.

Absolutely, and according to the folks I've interacted with that watch a good bit of ACC football, he's not only good at getting after the QB, but also effective at setting the edge in run defense.  Complete football players are always the best, they don't need to come off of the field dictated by down and distance.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned around here but I am fairly certain this guy was viewed as a potential top 10 pick and the combine kinda dropped his stock. To me what he did with pads on that got him viewed as a potential top 10 pick is far more important than what he did in shorts up in Indy. The guy has a huge ceiling and can absolutely become a game wrecking end. How is that a bad thing??

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 06:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm not sure if it's been mentioned around here but I am fairly certain this guy was viewed as a potential top 10 pick and the combine kinda dropped his stock. To me what he did with pads on that got him viewed as a potential top 10 pick is far more important than what he did in shorts up in Indy. The guy has a huge ceiling and can absolutely become a game wrecking end. How is that a bad thing??

pretty sure his athleticism made him a top 15 player, but his on field production is what tanked him a bit

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 06:42 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: pretty sure his athleticism made him a top 15 player, but his on field production is what tanked him a bit

What a lot of people aren't seeing is that the entire Clemson defense took a step back after they lost Brent Venables who was a wizard on the defensive side.

I think Lou can unlock the same things Venables started to unlock in Murphy as a sophmore. Kid is going to grow into a very nice edge rusher for this team.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 06:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Absolutely, and according to the folks I've interacted with that watch a good bit of ACC football, he's not only good at getting after the QB, but also effective at setting the edge in run defense.  Complete football players are always the best, they don't need to come off of the field dictated by down and distance.

This is what I have been saying since they made the selection. It seems too many people are laser focused on sack production when that is just one facet of the game for a defensive lineman. The beauty of Murphy is that he is complete and right now needs to work on adding to his pass rush arsenal as he is pretty accomplished against the run and setting the edge of the defense. 

It was an awesome selection at 28. His floor is not a low one but his ceiling is a very high one.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 05:50 PM)M.W. Wrote: Making the pass rush better is never a bad thing. I doubt Trey H is re-signed so hopefully this pick is a home run!

Why do you doubt that Trey is re-signed? It is hysterical when people say this when a player has two seasons on his contract.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 07:37 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Why do you doubt that Trey is re-signed? It is hysterical when people say this when a player has two seasons on his contract.

I think that some fans are still stuck in the mindset of the old way of Bengals management, and have yet to fully realize that there is a new way the team is handling business these days.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 07:37 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Why do you doubt that Trey is re-signed? It is hysterical when people say this when a player has two seasons on his contract.

There will be too much money wrapped up in Burrow, Chase and Higgins.  There will be a salary cap then too. 
Reply/Quote