Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Position
(12-13-2020, 09:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A loss to Houston will be 0-16 on the road!

Reminds me of the line in the movie "Days of Thunder". 

Pit Chief, played by Robert Duvall:  "I want you to go out and hit the pace car"

Cole Trickle, played by Tom Cruise:  "What the hell for?"

Pit Chief:  "You have already hit every other car on the track, and I want you to be perfect"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 12:51 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Really?

Our 2018 #1 Pick was Billy Price a complete and total failure.

Our Offensive Line by the end of 2018 was

LT Cordy Glenn - Failure
LG - Clint Boling - Retiring
C - Billy Price - Failure Backup Tank Johnson (Terrible)
RG - Trey Hopkins, Christian Westerman, Alex Redmond (Terrible)
RT - Jake Fisher (2nd Rd Bust), Cedric Ogbuehi (1st Rd Bust), Bobby Hart (terrible)

I am sure Zak Taylor was thrilled to walk in to have that Offensive line to start with.

I want him fired, too, and people will say I am a ZT Cheerleader, but I don't think any coach would have been successful with this roster and losing Green last year 15 minutes in to the first practice.  

There is a very short list of things he has done that I like:  Play younger talent (although I wish they would put Bailey and Winston Rose out there as well to evaluate how they could do...Phillips showed he was worthy last year when he got a shot...) and he seemed to want to draft, recruit high character guys from winning backgrounds.  

Outside of that, I pretty much question almost everything he has done.  I just don't see any coach that would have won here the past two years.  
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 12:51 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Really?

Our 2018 #1 Pick was Billy Price a complete and total failure.

Our Offensive Line by the end of 2018 was

LT Cordy Glenn - Failure
LG - Clint Boling - Retiring
C - Billy Price - Failure Backup Tank Johnson (Terrible)
RG - Trey Hopkins, Christian Westerman, Alex Redmond (Terrible)
RT - Jake Fisher (2nd Rd Bust), Cedric Ogbuehi (1st Rd Bust), Bobby Hart (terrible)

I am sure Zak Taylor was thrilled to walk in to have that Offensive line to start with.

Cordy Glenn was a solid player, he just wasn't what he was in BUF.
Boling only retired after Taylor was hired on. It was July 2019, just before TC started.
Price was a downgrade from Bodine, but he wasn't as bad at C as he was at G.
I'll give you the right side of the line. Hopkins wasn't a good run blocker (still isn't), Redmond wasn't a good pass blocker (still isn't). Westerman was about the only semi-hope, but he was contemplating retirement during preseason. He ultimately did not make the final cuts.
No one wanted Fisher or Ogbuehi to play a down, and Hart is Hart.
Remember too that the OL you slam still had the Bengals at 6 wins in 2018 and helped give Mixon 4.9 YPC.
The Bengals also brought Andre Smith back in late July 2019, who people thought was going to either start at RG or RT.
And Jonah Williams was just drafted. People didn't know he was going to have surgery on the shoulder injury he played through all 2018 with Alabama.

After the draft, people expected the OL to be a combo of Glenn, Boling, Price, Williams, and Hart/Smith/Hopkins/Redmond/Westerman.
So no, the OL really wasn't as bad heading into 2019 as it is now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Jets are grabbing Lawrence at QB with pick #1, but are we certain Fields goes #2 to the Jags? What if they take Sewell? Do we all make forum rage posts or are we happy with who we get at pick #3 in such a scenario?
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 01:46 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Jets are grabbing Lawrence at QB with pick #1, but are we certain Fields goes #2 to the Jags? What if they take Sewell? Do we all make forum rage posts or are we happy with who we get at pick #3 in such a scenario?

IF Fields last to 3 you trade it.

Sewell isn't the sure thing that people think. He's only 20 and really raw and in need of coaching. I HOPE we have a competent o-line coach. IF any team can turn him into a bust, it's us.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 01:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF Fields last to 3 you trade it.

Sewell isn't the sure thing that people think. He's only 20 and really raw and in need of coaching. I HOPE we have a competent o-line coach. IF any team can turn him into a bust, it's us.

And if any team can screw up multiple early picks (we’d receive for trading back) it’s us. Ofc Sewell isn’t a sure thing (no prospect is) but I’d feel much better about him than trusting Tobin and Taylor to make good use of the extra picks. Sure we could end up with another hit like Tee, but we could also end up with some Sample, Pratt type picks.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 02:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And if any team can screw up multiple early picks (we’d receive for trading back) it’s us. Ofc Sewell isn’t a sure thing (no prospect is) but I’d feel much better about him than trusting Tobin and Taylor to make good use of the extra picks. Sure we could end up with another hit like Tee, but we could also end up with some Sample, Pratt type picks.

I was talking about the scenario where Sewell goes at 2.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 03:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I was talking about the scenario where Sewell goes at 2.

Ah ok. It would still depend on the offers though. Surtain, Chase, Parsons, etc would be pretty tempting.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 01:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF Fields last to 3 you trade it.

The draft is usually wild in some ways, but I think as far as Lawrence and Fields are concerned, it'd be tough not to see them as #1 and #2 OA.  

I think you may be onto something about Sewell.  Of course, you may not be either, he may be epic and great from the start and continuing to improve like a fine wine.  But my reasoning for thinking you may be onto something is Andrew Thomas.  I remember really hoping we'd get him before the #1OA pick was secured, and he hasn't looked as great as I really thought he would out the gate.  Granted, maybe some OL-brained people did know that was coming... shrug.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 01:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF Fields last to 3 you trade it.

About the only scenario I see of Fields falling to 3 is either a position player went in the Top 2 picks or JAX/NYJ selected a QB who isn't Fields.

If that's the case, you absolutely trade back.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Good we need the highest pick possible so we can net the most compensation when we trade back to stockpile picks.

1 OL who played 1.5 years of college football and no football at all in 2020 is not going fix this roster.

Trade back. Load up on picks. And roll the dice as many times as possible. We need help everywhere.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 05:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: About the only scenario I see of Fields falling to 3 is either a position player went in the Top 2 picks or JAX/NYJ selected a QB who isn't Fields.

If that's the case, you absolutely trade back.

Even if the offers are underwhelming? Ofc you listen, but I’m not down to just automatically trade back no matter what.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 06:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Even if the offers are underwhelming? Ofc you listen, but I’m not down to just automatically trade back no matter what.

Obviously it depends what the offer is. It needs to at least be close to what the NFL trade value chart shows.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I haven't had this much fun losing since we were losing for Burrow. Hopefully we aren't losing for a draft pick a year from now, but ehh...if it happens, it happens.
Reply/Quote
This is a shortened college season with less games. That means less stuff for our talent evaluators to evaluate. That means our chances of getting it right go up. Since they usually set their board and get it wrong. Having less information when they set their board means they have a higher chance of getting it right. Since they are almost always wrong.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals aren't winning two more games to pass up anyone ahead of them, pretty much locked in to #3.

Jacksonville plays @ Baltimore, Chicago and finishes up @ Indianapolis. They may beat Chicago, and they've already beaten Indy this year, but I see them going 0-3 the rest of the way. They won their first game of the year against the Colts and then lost 12 straight, 5 of those losses were by 3 scores or more, but they were actually in most of those games.
Colts won by 7
Titans lost by 3
Dolphins lost by 18
Bengals lost by 8
Texans lost by 16
Lions lost by 18
Chargers lost by 10
Texans lost by 2
Packers lost by 4
Steelers lost by 24
Brows lost by 2
Vikings lost by 3 in OT
Titans lost by 21
I would love to see them beat Baltimore just to make the last two Jags games mean something(to us).

There's no way the Jets go 3-0 @ Rams, vs Browns and @ Patriots.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Fields can be available for trade at 3 if Jax sign or trade for a vet QB (Wentz, Zac, Garoppalo, Stafford, Darnold), and decide to use the pick (they'd probably trade it tho if they weren't selecting a qb and everyone knew it).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 05:56 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: The draft is usually wild in some ways, but I think as far as Lawrence and Fields are concerned, it'd be tough not to see them as #1 and #2 OA.  

I think you may be onto something about Sewell.  Of course, you may not be either, he may be epic and great from the start and continuing to improve like a fine wine.  But my reasoning for thinking you may be onto something is Andrew Thomas.  I remember really hoping we'd get him before the #1OA pick was secured, and he hasn't looked as great as I really thought he would out the gate.  Granted, maybe some OL-brained people did know that was coming... shrug.

Thomas shut out Carl Lawson. He is having a pretty good year.
I would be happy to have him as our LT.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 08:15 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Thomas shut out Carl Lawson. He is having a pretty good year.
I would be happy to have him as our LT.

Jonah is better than Thomas.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 07:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: Fields can be available for trade at 3 if Jax sign or trade for a  vet QB (Wentz, Zac, Garoppalo, Stafford, Darnold), and decide to use the pick (they'd probably trade it tho if they weren't selecting a qb and everyone knew it).

Those QB's are all bad options. Take Fields on a cheap rookie deal.

Well I guess Stafford of that bunch is ok.
Reply/Quote