Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft is complete, what's next?
Something to consider about veteran linemen at this point. Most are still looking for starting jobs and starting money, regardless of the unlikelihood.

So they're either injured, didn't get starting offers or looking for better offers. So now that the draft is over and people have their depth or starters from the first couple rounds, the lower quality vets will start signing those 1 yr depth or rare starter deals. So imo, Spain and Reiff aren't signed due to wanting something better than a backup job or injury.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 05:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It could make the difference between making the playoffs and staying home if Burrow is just nicked and only misses 1-3 games.

Exactly, barring a miracle, Allen is not winning a game. So as you stated should Joe miss a few games we would likely lose all 3 with a completely useless back up QB.  It makes zero sense to keep a QB you know is a dumpster fire.  Surely one of the undrafted free agents can throw a football, play like a professional and not sack themselves.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:05 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The third round guy was a DT.  The fifth round guy is rumored to have flexibility to play LB.  Our FIRST round pick has played outside CB.  

I think they just really like Cam Taylor-Britt.  (CTB).

I think Dax Hill played slot corner. He may be able to play outside but Michigan didn't have him play outside.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 05:11 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: In my dream scenario we would still sign JC Tretter, since we didn't invest heavily in offensive line in the draft.  I think this would give us a top 10 offensive line, and potentially the best offense in football, and most importantly I would know we did all that we could to protect Burrow this year, ownership owes him that based on the previous 2 years of allowing him to get killed.  Leaving OG as a question mark is not good enough in my opinion.  I would also resign Spain and cut or trade Carman and Adeniji since he is better than both of them.

For receivers, I would resign AJ Green if he is still available and let him retire a Bengal and also hopefully let him get a Super Bowl win.

I wouldn't cut Carman. But I'm with you on signing Tretter and that would get rid of the question marks on the line for me. I'd also be for resigning Spain and feel that would give us really good depth across the board for the oline. It could make sense that they were waiting to see how the draft worked out and hopefully they make some moves.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:05 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The third round guy was a DT.  The fifth round guy is rumored to have flexibility to play LB.  Our FIRST round pick has played outside CB.  

I think they just really like Cam Taylor-Britt.  (CTB).

Tycen Anderson is NOT playing LB the media got him twisted with Sterling Weatherford who they were talking about around that time. He is the one who added weight to play LB not Anderson.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 04:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: 1- I’d like to see Spain brought back cheap.
2- Reiff if he will play for less than $5 mil to be a backup.
3- A WR 4 if any decent ones are out there that will come cheap. Still a lot of interesting names. Fuller, Julio, Hilton, Sanu, Beasley, Humphries, Westbrook, Sanders, Hurns. Some are over the hill, some will probably want too much money or to be higher than #4 but we should be able to bring someone decent in at a fair price. Especially after so many teams went WR in the draft because they don’t want to pay them.
4- I’d also be interested in bringing in Foles if he isn’t trying to break the bank so that we have a legitimate backup QB should we need one
If Spain is brought back then i see Adeniji getting cut. As far as another OT i think they'll wait and see who gets cut first and see what they have in camp.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 05:11 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: In my dream scenario we would still sign JC Tretter, since we didn't invest heavily in offensive line in the draft.  I think this would give us a top 10 offensive line, and potentially the best offense in football, and most importantly I would know we did all that we could to protect Burrow this year, ownership owes him that based on the previous 2 years of allowing him to get killed.  Leaving OG as a question mark is not good enough in my opinion.  I would also resign Spain and cut or trade Carman and Adeniji since he is better than both of them.

For receivers, I would resign AJ Green if he is still available and let him retire a Bengal and also hopefully let him get a Super Bowl win.

AJ Green resigned with the Cardinals.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 07:23 PM)M.W. Wrote: Exactly, barring a miracle, Allen is not winning a game. So as you stated should Joe miss a few games we would likely lose all 3 with a completely useless back up QB.  It makes zero sense to keep a QB you know is a dumpster fire.  Surely one of the undrafted free agents can throw a football, play like a professional and not sack themselves.

This might be unpopular, but won’t Allen also get better with more consistent OL play and a running game that has some blocking.

Everyone keeps saying that Joe’s season is a testament to how much talent he has considering how bad the OL was… we’ve only seen Allen behind the same line or worse.

I’m not against a QB upgrade, but it really might not be as critical as some think. Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
What’s next is more Fredtoast hyperbole threads, what if threads, your favorite Bengal moment threads etc. basically a whole lot of work d blowing and nothing doing because this is the true beginning of the offseason.
Reply/Quote
According to PFF Carman gave up no sacks. He did deal with Covid, food poisoning, coming in overweight, and his back injury. Carman’s issues are buying into the NFL. Robbie Caldwell the Clemson OL coach wasn’t tough on his group his later years. Carman missed college. I think he’s focused now and is really going to play well. That being said the staff has him on a short leash and aren’t going to mess around with him. Resigning both Spain and Reiff if we can would be ideal.
Reply/Quote
Current cap Space= +$18 MIL

Rescind Bates Tag= +$13 MIL

Jonah Williams Cap= +$5.6

Sign Jonah Williams = -$20 MIL

Sign Eric Ebron= -$4 MIL

Sign David Johnson= +$1.5 MIL

Cut Samajae Perine= -$1.5
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 08:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Current cap Space= +$18 MIL

Rescind Bates Tag= +$13 MIL

Jonah Williams Cap= +$5.6

Sign Jonah Williams = -$20 MIL

Sign Eric Ebron= -$4 MIL

Sign David Johnson= +$1.5 MIL

Cut Samajae Perine= -$1.5

Spain is coming back
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 09:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Spain is coming back

Please no more Spain.  I dont want a repeat of the playoffs again this coming season when the Bengals make it back.  And of course the excuses for Spain playing poorly again.

If we really want to improve this team and Oline, sign Tretter instead and move Karras to LG.  That would help the team much more than bringing Spain back.

Sign Tretter not Spain.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 10:03 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Please no more Spain.  I dont want a repeat of the playoffs again this coming season when the Bengals make it back.  And of course the excuses for Spain playing poorly again.

If we really want to improve this team and Oline, sign Tretter instead and move Karras to LG.  That would help the team much more than bringing Spain back.

Sign Tretter not Spain.

Tretter wants too much
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 07:56 PM)pulses Wrote: Tycen Anderson is NOT playing LB the media got him twisted with Sterling Weatherford who they were talking about around that time. He is the one who added weight to play LB not Anderson.

I wondered.  I caught up on all the Bengals podcasts yesterday doing yard work and I never heard mention of it.

Anderson has played 900 special teams snaps (!) in his college career, too.  I really like the guy.  Three time captain, finishing his masters in Leadership.  
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 10:13 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Tretter wants too much

Well the longer he waits, the less he'll get.
I'd offer a 1 yr contract @ $5m
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 07:58 PM)pulses Wrote: If Spain is brought back then i see Adeniji getting cut. As far as another OT i think they'll wait and see who gets cut first and see what they have in camp.

Even if Spain isn't brought back, Adeniji could be getting cut anyway.

OT - Williams, Collins, Smith, Prince
OG - Cappa, Carman, Volson, Adeniji
C - Karras, Hill

If the Bengals choose to only go with 9 OL, which they could since many backups are versatile, Adeniji might be the odd man out.
Bring back Spain though and I would say for sure Adeniji is gone plus possibly Prince.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 10:03 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Please no more Spain.  I dont want a repeat of the playoffs again this coming season when the Bengals make it back.  And of course the excuses for Spain playing poorly again.

Sign Tretter not Spain.

I'd definitely go Tretter over Spain, but I'd go Spain over Adeniji.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I agree so Karras could move to LG. Ocho said in another thread Flowers as well. Lots of good options still left in FA
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 10:13 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Tretter wants too much

Source for what Tretter wants?

I have not heard a thing on his contract demands.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote