Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drafting Jake Elliot over Roderick Johnson
Was idiotic.

He would have been available much later.

This is the only move that I hate from the draft.

Overall an A- Roderick would have made it an A+ for me.
Reply/Quote
Lotta people freaking out over this pick. Only time will tell.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Darrin Simmons, a guy who has overseen a consistently good Special Teams unit while he's been here, had his choice of the three best kickers in the draft and he chose Jake Elliott.

That's good enough for me.

Fingers crossed Elliott follows up breaking Stephen Gostkowski's school records with breaking his NFL career records, too.
Reply/Quote
I wish people would tell us they were at the pro days and combine. Guys please tell us next time so we know who they should pick!

But for real... Simmons said out of the kickers he tried out, Jake Elliot had the best Kickoff. Also said that the weather he kicked in was a lot harsher than the others.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 09:31 PM)Thefinalcut813 Wrote: I wish people would tell us they were at the pro days and combine. Guys please tell us next time so we know who they should pick!

But for real... Simmons said out of the kickers he tried out, Jake Elliot had the best Kickoff. Also said that the weather he kicked in was a lot harsher than the others.

I'm not upset with taking a kicker.

I'm upset about when they took a kicker, with a quality, 6-7 300 lb OT from FSU available.

Our Oline is a concern. Having Johnson would have helped.

Get it?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 09:41 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: I'm not upset with taking a kicker.

I'm upset about when they took a kicker, with a quality, 6-7 300 lb OT from FSU available.

Get it?

Agree with this and still wish we could have traded AJM for the Browns 2nd round pick and got Cam Robinson. 

Then the draft would have been perfect for me.. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 04:19 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Was idiotic.

Overall an A-   Roderick would have made it an A+ for me.

Roderick Johnson was terrible.  Getting an OT that would compete to be a backup vs a starting Kicker who the considered to be the number 1 kicker in the draft.  Yeah be prepared to eat crow.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Get it?

The team is still trying to pretend the O-line is not a problem. Cam Robinson could have been available at that point in the draft and they'd have passed on him just to prove how right they were with Ogbuehi.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:02 PM)Okeana Wrote: Roderick Johnson was terrible.  Getting an OT that would compete to be a backup vs a starting Kicker who the considered to be the number 1 kicker in the draft.  Yeah be prepared to eat crow.

Yeah he was awful.

1st team All ACC last two years

VotEd best OL in the conference in 2015 and 2016

And allowed 4 total sacks and 10 qb hits in over 1150 collegiate snaps.

Lol
Reply/Quote
Seriously?

The key to the draft to you was a guy who was taken 160? He obviously was nothing special.

And you have no idea if we could have gotten Elliot much later. if the bengals had him ranked that high then it is very possible that other teams did also.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Seriously?

The key to the draft to you was a guy who was taken 160?  He obviously was nothing special.

And you have no idea if we could have gotten Elliot much later.  if the bengals had him ranked that high then it is very possible that other teams did also.

Hilarious.  You're gushing about Brandon Wilson, calling him your fav pick,  and he  was drafted at #207. 

'The key to the draft to you was a guy who was taken 207?  He obviously was nothing special.'  -  Using your exact words.  hahah

Must be hard to keep up with all the garbage you post on here.. lol 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 11:10 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Hilarious.  You're gushing about Brandon Wilson, calling him your fav pick,  and he  was drafted at #207. 

'The key to the draft to you was a guy who was taken 207?  He obviously was nothing special.'  -  Using your exact words.  hahah

Must be hard to keep up with all the garbage you post on here.. lol 

You are comparing apples to oranges.

I like the Wilson pick as a great value, but I would not have been sqealing and squirting all over myself if we had passed on him.

Definitely would not have started a thread devoted to passing on a guy that late in the draft.
Reply/Quote
We've lost how many games because of the K the past few years and people are ticked we took one over a backup T with serious balance and coordination issues? Elliott could be a difference maker. Johnson would've just rode the pine unless every other T got hurt.
Reply/Quote

Get it?

Sorta. But if we just drafted the next ace kicker would you still be mad? And I agree we could of taken him in a later round more than likely. But they could of heard a rumor or something about a team taking him off the board. Also the O-line prospects were not up to par with normal years I hear. That could have something to do with it.
Reply/Quote
The bottom line is this: this year's draft was not a good year to find Offensive lineman. Maybe Asiata would have helped. Robinson for RT. There is always next year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Johnson would not have contributed at all this year, as the Bengals are hell bent on giving Ogbuehi and Fisher a fair (or more than fair) shake.

If they don't prove to be the answers at LT and RT, then next year we can spend some legitimate draft capital on some offensive linemen.

Meanwhile, we got a kicker that will solve one of the largest problems we had last year (and, really, the year before that too).

I am not really worried about missing out on a back up tackle from a class that was historically bad in terms of Oline depth.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 04:19 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Was idiotic.

Overall an A-   Roderick would have made it an A+ for me.

We'll come back to this post after Jake wins a game for us, and he will.
Reply/Quote
I think people really do forget how bad our kicking game was last year. Drafting Elliot will have a bigger, better and faster impact to our team than any OT/OG would have been had we taken them in round five over Elliot. The Bengals are giving Ced O. and Fisher a shot to prove themselves. I've heard nothing but positive things on Ced O. so far this offseason and I think Fisher will be okay at RT. We just have to wait and see.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:22 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Yeah he was awful.

1st team All ACC last two years

VotEd best OL in the conference in 2015 and 2016

And allowed 4 total sacks and 10 qb hits in over 1150 collegiate snaps.

Lol

And then he was decimated at the senior bowl.  Why do you think he slid so late ?  Because he's SOOOO great

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 08:22 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Darrin Simmons, a guy who has overseen a consistently good Special Teams unit while he's been here, had his choice of the three best kickers in the draft and he chose Jake Elliott.

That's good enough for me.

Fingers crossed Elliott follows up breaking Stephen Gostkowski's school records with breaking his NFL career records, too.

Not only this, but Elliot also has cold weather experience.
Reply/Quote