Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drafting Jaylon Smith in the first?
(04-16-2016, 06:44 PM)Okeana Wrote: thats not what ive been hearing.  Why is it do you still see a lot of the top guys mocking him in the first round.  

What?

Bleacher Report doesn't have him in the 1st. NFL never has him in the 1st. CBS doesn't have him in the 1st. Even Walter Football doesn't have him in the 1st.

Type in Jaylon Smith Injury into Google. Takes 2 seconds.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm no doctor, but the move makes some sense. We have a stacked roster where not alot of guys are gonna come in and help out immediately anyway. PUP or IR him year 1

That said I doubt we take him with the first. His injury is a little be more serious than Ced's. But I can see us taking him somewhere
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 08:36 AM)bonesaw Wrote: I'm no doctor, but the move makes some sense.  We have a stacked roster where not alot of guys are gonna come in and help out immediately anyway.  PUP or IR him year 1

That said I doubt we take him with the first.  His injury is a little be more serious than Ced's.  But I can see us taking him somewhere

A rookie DT or WR — two positions where there should be lots of talent where we pick — could be heavily used in a rotation from day one. At this point, there's a good chance we could draft one of each in the first two rounds and see them contribute significantly.
Reply/Quote
I just don't think it is wise to draft him at all. Marcus Lattimore and Napoleon McCallum, both never healed completely again. Pre-combine tweet by one doctor who saw the brace used on Jaylon.

David J. Chao, MD ‎@ProFootballDoc

We can only hope that #JaylonSmith peroneal nerve "wakes up".
What a shame for this great talent.
Has to now recover from ligaments & nerve.

Smith possibly suffered nerve damage to both his Knee and ankle.

I'm certainly rooting for Smith though.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2016, 11:39 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Why would you be disappointed?  He is a top 5 talent in this draft and very well could be the best player in the draft if not for the injury.

The Bengals don't generally use their rookies all that much, so I would love the pick.  We are one of the few teams that could take him and it wouldn't be a huge deal with our approach to rookies.

That being said, I would rather see him go to us in the 2nd round.

Because he has nerve damage and may never be anything close to the player he was.  This team could use immediate help at wide receiver and on the defensive line.  Also, keep drafting guys who don't play their first year and you lose a year of "affordability" under the current CBA.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 10:13 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I just don't think it is wise to draft him at all. Marcus Lattimore and Napoleon McCallum, both never healed completely again. Pre-combine tweet by one doctor who saw the brace used on Jaylon.

David J. Chao, MD ‎@ProFootballDoc

We can only hope that #JaylonSmith peroneal nerve "wakes up".
What a shame for this great talent.
Has to now recover from ligaments & nerve.

Smith possibly suffered nerve damage to both his Knee and ankle.

I'm certainly rooting for Smith though.

I was initially skeptical of the nerve injury, but that same guy linked a video Smith posted of himself and I can tell he has a foot drop because his gait is abnormal. That confirmed the nerve problem. My educated guess is a common peroneal nerve neuropraxis because it was stretched during the LCL tear because the nerve runs right right next to it. General rule of thumb is nerves regenerate about 1mm per day. From the knee to the foot could take a year. From what I've read the prognosis of a foot drop because the nerve was stretched is intermediate. It would be interesting to know what the team docs are saying.
Reply/Quote
The 49ers went from one of the better teams in the league to not very good pretty quick. Drafting a bunch of hurt guys contributed to that.

Id rather draft a healthy kicker in the first round. At least we know he is healthy enough to compete.

You already dont know what you are getting in the draft. Drafting a guy who may never be able to play again in the first round is ludicrous.

This is totally different than Ogbuehi. We could confirm he was on his way to a full recovery.

Im hearing stuff about myles jack now. One guy called his knee a time bomb. Hell he hasnt run a 40. Some said medical recheck went fine. Others say not so good. Ajayi fell further than many expected last year due to long term concerns about his knee.

As fans we really dont get the true story. We wont know til after the fact what the consensus is. Plenty of misinformation out there. But medical stuff scares me more than character concerns.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 08:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If this is the case we shouldn't use a pick on him until the 3rd round at the earliest.

It might be worth the gamble then, but we have to many immediate needs to waste a pick in the 1st or 2nd this year.

We need a decent WR and a DE early IMHO cause the depth falls off big time after the 2nd round both positions.

What doesn't make sense, is drafting a 1st round receiver. Then, you'd have two 1st round receivers on the field. i see all kinds of problems with respect to ego, stats/opportunity, and money/ future contracts. it doesn't make sense to replace a 5th round reveiver with a number one. This organization has done extremely well on finding late round receivers.

What DOES make sense, is drafting a DT and  DE in the first and second round. That would push this defense over the top....tremendous edge. Along with the backers, this defense would plow a path right to the big game.

I wouldn't draft a receiver higher than 3rd round. ...preferably 4th, as I would want to see an ILB in the third. Defense wins championships. ....and this offense already has many lethal weapons. All the offense needs is a few complementary additions. (plus Dalton has already shown that having a whole offense full of exceptional players doesn't gaurantee that the talent will be utilized and taken advantage of....he's not that kind of QB...in my opinion)
Reply/Quote
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/23/doctor-says-jaylon-smith-needs-a-year-off-could-recover-fully/

Definately a risk, but I'd be tempted in the second.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If the Bengals apply the same logic they did to Ced last off-season I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith in a Bengals uni at 24. If they believe he will recover fully and he is the BPA there's a good chance.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 12:57 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: If the Bengals apply the same logic they did to Ced last off-season I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith in a Bengals uni at 24. If they believe he will recover fully and he is the BPA there's a good chance.

But there's a huge difference between Ogubehi's injury and Smith's injury.

It's not just an ACL tear, there are torn ligaments and tissue. These are extremely hard to come back from and certainly easy to re-injure.

I love Jaylon Smith. I want him to be healthy and I think he's the next best linebacker prospect and will be a module for future linebackers to come. But the Bengals have actual needs this year in a few aspects. Although I see Smith falling and it's not hard to understand why. He's going to miss 2016 and there's speculation he's going to miss some of 2017

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 01:17 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: But there's a huge difference between Ogubehi's injury and Smith's injury.

It's not just an ACL tear, there are torn ligaments and tissue. These are extremely hard to come back from and certainly easy to re-injure.

I love Jaylon Smith. I want him to be healthy and I think he's the next best linebacker prospect and will be a module for future linebackers to come. But the Bengals have actual needs this year in a few aspects. Although I see Smith falling and it's not hard to understand why. He's going to miss 2016 and there's speculation he's going to miss some of 2017

I'll trust what the Bengals medical staff thinks about his injury. If they think he will come back healthy and able to reach his max potential then I think they will pull the trigger. If you look at last year they at least have to be interested.

I'm almost always for BPA though and this year is no different.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 01:59 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I'll trust what the Bengals medical staff thinks about his injury. If they think he will come back healthy and able to reach his max potential then I think they will pull the trigger. If you look at last year they at least have to be interested.

I'm almost always for BPA though and this year is no different.

I don't think there's a question as to being interested. Every team is interested in Smith.

But he has a VERY high risk with never being able to play in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 02:02 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I don't think there's a question as to being interested. Every team is interested in Smith.

But he has a VERY high risk with never being able to play in the NFL.

I mean first round interest. I could see the Bengals or the Pats taking him in the first. All of that depends on him medically though and how they feel he will be a year from now.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 02:04 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I mean first round interest. I could see the Bengals or the Pats taking him in the first. All of that depends on him medically though and how they feel he will be a year from now.

There's no real time table. Even after his recheck since February, sources said that his knee looks exactly the same as it did then. His nerve damage is still the same as it was and there's even question as to whether he'll even play in the NFL, let alone move at the same speed he once did.

Smith will not go in the 1st. He will be a day 3 pick or undrafted.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 04:05 AM)Leather Face Wrote: What doesn't make sense, is drafting a 1st round receiver. Then, you'd have two 1st round receivers on the field. i see all kinds of problems with respect to ego, stats/opportunity, and money/ future contracts. it doesn't make sense to replace a 5th round reveiver with a number one. This organization has done extremely well on finding late round receivers.

What DOES make sense, is drafting a DT and  DE in the first and second round. That would push this defense over the top....tremendous edge. Along with the backers, this defense would plow a path right to the big game.

I wouldn't draft a receiver higher than 3rd round. ...preferably 4th, as I would want to see an ILB in the third. Defense wins championships. ....and this offense already has many lethal weapons. All the offense needs is a few complementary additions. (plus Dalton has already shown that having a whole offense full of exceptional players doesn't gaurantee that the talent will be utilized and taken advantage of....he's not that kind of QB...in my opinion)

Great to see you posting again Leather Face. Love it.

I don't know man, if Doctson, Coleman or Treadwell are there i wouldn't hate the pick in the first. All have special talent.

I get why you would think of the future contracts and such though.

DT and DE are what i want early no question. Billings and Kaufusi would be great then grab Garrett the WR out of Tulsa in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 01:17 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: But there's a huge difference between Ogubehi's injury and Smith's injury.

You keep writing he has torn "tissue." What do you mean by that because tissue is awfully nonspecific. Ligaments are a type of tissue. The difference between Smith's injury and Ogbeuhi's boils down to the foot drop caused by the peroneal nerve being stretched. His surgeon stated it can take 9-15 months for full recovery for the foot drop. If the peroneal nerve recovers. His surgeon has seen full recoveries. Thing is . . . there are no guarantees.

The real concern is the nerve. Not the nonspecific tissue tears you keep mentioning.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 03:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You keep writing he has torn "tissue."  What do you mean by that because tissue is awfully nonspecific. Ligaments are a type of tissue. The difference between Smith's injury and Ogbeuhi's boils down to the foot drop caused by the peroneal nerve being stretched. His surgeon stated it can take 9-15 months for full recovery for the foot drop. If the peroneal nerve recovers. His surgeon has seen full recoveries. Thing is . . . there are no guarantees.

The real concern is the nerve. Not the nonspecific tissue tears you keep mentioning.
Based on what I know right now, I would not draft Smith until round 4. I love the LB, but he is a huge risk and definite not worthy of a #1 pick.
I agree, the issue is the nerve damage.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 04:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Based on what I know right now, I would not draft Smith until round 4. I love the LB, but he is a huge risk and definite not worthy of a #1 pick.
I agree, the issue is the nerve damage.

What is the Bengals' success in the 3rd round? 50/50? I'd would gamble on him in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 06:43 PM)Okeana Wrote: 95% of 1st round picks don't help year one.  We have one of the strongest rosters in the nfl for a reason.

Our strategy has worked out pretty well the past 5 years or so but when a team is as timid as we are about filling needs in FA and drafting projects/injured players early to build, at some point we find ourselves in the situation we are in now. We have no depth at WR,DE and are weak in others. Right now we are 1 or 2 injuries away from looking like the team in the Indy playoff game. IMO we need an impact player in the first and some contributors with the other picks for this year more than any. 
Reply/Quote