Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Drafting a defensive end we didn't need
(09-19-2023, 12:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I won't speak for the OP, but I personally was scratching my head why a DE was taken before some other positions of need.
It was known that whatever pass rusher that got drafted was not going to get opportunity to get a majority of defensive snaps.
So was it necessary to take a pass rusher that early given that situation?
Or could they have taken a pass rusher in Rd 3-4 to groom and taken a position with better opportunity to see the field in Rd 1?

I think that might be some people's gripe.

They just wanted someone who could get more opportunity right away.
But that opportunity really would have just been TE, maybe CB based on Awuzie's recovery.

Pass rush was probably the #1 need in the draft. LT had been secured in Free Agency. Remember Hendrickson puking on the sideline because he had to play so many snaps? Duke also drafts BPA instead of for need. Murphy was supposed to be long gone by the time we picked. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 01:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Pass rush was probably the #1 need in the draft. LT had been secured in Free Agency. Remember Hendrickson puking on the sideline because he had to play so many snaps? Duke also drafts BPA instead of for need. Murphy was supposed to be long gone by the time we picked. 

I think Duke should have targeted a proven DE in FA
Instead of drafting a raw not ready to produce project 
Zadarius Smith would have fit this defense perfectly 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 01:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Pass rush was probably the #1 need in the draft. LT had been secured in Free Agency. Remember Hendrickson puking on the sideline because he had to play so many snaps? Duke also drafts BPA instead of for need. Murphy was supposed to be long gone by the time we picked. 

Yep, too early to question the Murphy pick. Now drafting DaWand Jones in the 3rd might of been a good move, but I also really like
Jordan Battle. Murphy will take a bit of time, but he could be a great one on down the road with his strength and athleticism. He has 
things to work on without question but most Draft picks aren't ready right off the bat anyways. Don't care if they are #1 overall.

MM was supposed to be taken in the mid to late teens in every mock I was seeing before the Draft and we needed another End for
depth in stopping the run and a future stud pass rusher. MM could still be this, it is ignorant to think otherwise.
Reply/Quote

I think most people would have put an asterisk on the bold.
*Interior

Even still, I don't think many were thrilled about Irv Smith being the starting TE, so some would say TE was the biggest need.
CB also was considered a big need because of uncertainty around Awuzie.
There is a need for more pass rush, but I think most would say they want to see Hubbard and Hendrickson on the field 70% or more of the defensive snaps if healthy. And also probably BJ Hill. So just one more guy to go along with those 3. Could be either an interior pass rusher, or someone to fill in outside and swing Hubbard inside.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 01:44 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think Duke should have targeted a proven DE in FA

Not having  Ossai these past two weeks hasn't helped either.

Also 3T is a big need as of now. Carter and Hill are not creating anything from the interior for pass rush. Need more  from them.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 06:41 PM)Joelist Wrote: The defense issues are decidedly not the safeties. This was a DL sucking eggs hard in BOTH games. Run defense has killed us - we're on pace to be the worst run defense in NFL history. Last week it was the complete inability to deal the edges and this week it was similar with the addition of constantly breaking lane discipline. Getting gashed on Jet Sweep right ten or more times in one game is embarrassing - no adjustments Lou? Or leaving the middle of the field undefended over and over? This was basic incompetence on the defense.

When the offense cant get a first down and give the D any type of rest. This D might be around 12th in the league D is not going to win us games if offense cant pull their weight D and Special teams did enough to get us to 2-0 offense is reason we are 0 -2
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 12:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Watching that game last night made me miss Larry Ogunjobi. Him and Reader were awesome together.
Still don't understand why we didn't resign him.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 02:19 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: When the offense cant get a first down and give the D any type of rest. This D might be around 12th in the league D is not going to win us games if offense cant pull their weight D and Special teams did enough to get us to 2-0 offense is reason we are 0 -2

Truth, we can judge the Defense when they aren't on the field all damn game 2 games in a row against our rivals...

Our Offense has been so horrible, it has completely tired out our Defense both games.

(09-19-2023, 02:24 PM)ah5 Wrote: Still don't understand why we didn't resign him.

Larry O was injured at the time, the Bears were going to sign him for a monster contract, way bigger than the one we gave to 
BJ Hill and then Larry O failed his physical and was hurt going into the season before the stealers gave him the prove it deal.

I wanted Larry O back too, but it just didn't seem to be in the cards. He had a great game last night for the stealers BTW.

Bastid stealers getting lucky always pizzes me off. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:35 AM)kalibengal Wrote: this for once has to be a priority in Offseason...lets bring in FAs and draft a couple of DLs
Im sick of seeing AFCN rivals have multiple gamewreckers that we fear game after game...and then we look at our D Line and its all average + talent (Reader is exeption). 

I mean for all intents and purposely Trey should be our guy for this

He just isnt finishing sacks well this year
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 01:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, too early to question the Murphy pick. Now drafting DaWand Jones in the 3rd might of been a good move, but I also really like
Jordan Battle. Murphy will take a bit of time, but he could be a great one on down the road with his strength and athleticism. He has 
things to work on without question but most Draft picks aren't ready right off the bat anyways. Don't care if they are #1 overall.

MM was supposed to be taken in the mid to late teens in every mock I was seeing before the Draft and we needed another End for
depth in stopping the run and a future stud pass rusher. MM could still be this, it is ignorant to think otherwise.

Definitely way to early to question the picks. But the punt returner rook seems quite promising.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Let's stop trying to blame the offense for the D being garbage this season. The claim has a little merit in the Cleveland game but none in the Raven game. The D could have easily gotten themselves rest, just get a stop. Remember the rats punted only twice. They are DEAD LAST in the NFL in rush defense and on a record breaking bad pace on run defense.
Reply/Quote

#4 need at best.

RT, LG, and TE

Jonah, Volson, and the entire TE position were always going to be gigantic weak spots. They needed to add a pass rusher, but just a backup rotational DE and DT, while they needed starters at all three of those positions.

(Technically #5 need because Punter, but that's not really a 1st-2nd round pick conversation.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 06:25 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Definitely way to early to question the picks. But the punt returner rook seems quite promising.

Yeah, we have to look at the rooks who get opportunities. Did MM get some chances against the Ravens and sucked or something?

Haven't watched the game yet so I don't know...

All I know is Chuck Sizzle made the best of his opportunity against the Ravens for damn sure, good blocking as well ST's.

(09-19-2023, 06:42 PM)Joelist Wrote: Let's stop trying to blame the offense for the D being garbage this season. The claim has a little merit in the Cleveland game but none in the Raven game. The D could have easily gotten themselves rest, just get a stop. Remember the rats punted only twice. They are DEAD LAST in the NFL in rush defense and on a record breaking bad pace on run defense.

Has a lot of merit against the Stains, I watched that entire game and Burrow, the OL and Tee were terrible and it kept our Defense 
on the field all game against the best OL and RB in the entire NFL. You don't win games if your Offense does this to your Defense.

They had no chance. Will watch the Rats game when I get a chance and see if this is record breaking bad for allowing 27 points 
against a Lamar Jackson ran Offense throwing well out of the pocket....
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 01:44 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think Duke should have targeted a proven DE in FA

Smith cost the Browns 12M for 1 year.  The didnt have a starting DE.  We have 2.  A lot of high priced players would fit perfectly here.

Reply/Quote
We shoulda IR'd Ossai and brought back RJ3.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 02:24 PM)ah5 Wrote: Still don't understand why we didn't resign him.

He thought he could bamboozle the Bears when they offered the big contract. He and the Bengals knew he couldn’t pass a physical. 

Once he signed they moved on to Hill. 

Then the Bears pulled out but by then it was too late. I think they wanted him back. Just not at the Bears price. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The D-line starters Hendrickson Hubbard Hill and Reader are all on pace to pass their snap counts from previous years. Let the other guys get some reps/snaps before complaining about them. Lou has issues rotating players in and keeping the starters fresh this needs to change or all our D-line depth is going to waste.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 06:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah. I think drafting any position that contributes helps us.

Our safeties are mediocre now. That makes the cbs look bad.
Hill was drafted last year high to replace Bates, Scott has experience , the line is not playing well maybe Murphy will improve the line over time, he is only 2 games into his rookie year
Reply/Quote
Let's see..Late first round pick  playing very limited snaps against division rivals with good offensive lines with the rest of the D-line playing like crap as well..Not exactly an indictment against him in the grand scheme of things. He was never expected to just take over the league on day one much less replace Hubbard or Hendrickson on day one either..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 01:16 PM)grampahol Wrote: Let's see..Late first round pick  playing very limited snaps against division rivals with good offensive lines with the rest of the D-line playing like crap as well..Not exactly an indictment against him in the grand scheme of things. He was never expected to just take over the league on day one much less replace Hubbard or Hendrickson on day one either..

If he was going to be NFL-ready coming out of the gate, he would have gone early 1st round.
He fell for a reason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote