Hendrickson
Reader
Boyd
Logan Wilson
Higgins
Awuzie
Jonah Williams

Maybe Joe Mixon

That is a chunk of the core of the team. And we can't keep them all.

I expect them to throw some picks at replacements.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 11:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: After this season, free agents are:

Hendrickson
Reader
Boyd
Logan Wilson
Higgins
Awuzie
Jonah Williams

Maybe Joe Mixon

Hendrickson is signed through 2024. No idea why Spotrac says this.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 11:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Hendrickson is signed through 2024. No idea why Spotrac says this.

Looks like he has 2 years left.
Reply/Quote
This is why I think Mazi Smith or Keeanu Benton may be on the table for our first round pick if our first few targets are taken. We need that run stopping DT that can also rush the passer. Mazi Smith is more on the pure run stopping side right now, but he has the potential to develop pass rushing moves in the future and Benton is kind of a do it all DT. Good at rushing the passer from multiple positions and very stout against the run.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 11:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: After this season, free agents are:

Hendrickson
Reader
Boyd
Logan Wilson
Higgins
Awuzie
Jonah Williams

Maybe Joe Mixon

Hendrickson is not a FA until 2025. 

As for the rest: 

1. Higgins: extension this offseason. Working on it now. 
2. Wilson: probable extension if reasonable. 
3. Reader= core piece already on high salary. Extend. 
4. Boyd = likely gone unless he takes a haircut. Draft replacement now or next year. 
5. Awuzie: good but not great. See how he is this year. Draft a cornerthis year, preferably early.  He only makes around $7 mil. Reasonable. 
6. Jonah. Gone after this year if not this year. Not a core piece. Carman or Collins or a pick (this year or next) takes over.  
7. Mixon. Ditto. Draft a replacement this year or next. 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:31 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This is why I think Mazi Smith or Keeanu Benton may be on the table for our first round pick if our first few targets are taken. We need that run stopping DT that can also rush the passer. Mazi Smith is more on the pure run stopping side right now, but he has the potential to develop pass rushing moves in the future and Benton is kind of a do it all DT. Good at rushing the passer from multiple positions and very stout against the run.

Mazi can make an argument for 28, Benton is definitely 2nd round.  I like them both.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 11:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: After this season, free agents are:

Hendrickson
Reader
Boyd
Logan Wilson
Higgins
Awuzie
Jonah Williams

Maybe Joe Mixon

I expect Bengals re-sign only Wilson and Tee. Jonah obviously gone. Boyd and Reader nearly 30, so no. Awuzie will be 28 this season so team won’t throw years and big money at him. Mixon impossible to know. So we know their focus will be, CB,DT,RB,WR,OT not in order.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:49 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: I expect Bengals re-sign only Wilson and Tee. Jonah obviously gone. Boyd and Reader nearly 30, so no. Awuzie will be 28 this season so team won’t throw years and big money at him. Mixon impossible to know.  So we know their focus will be, CB,DT,RB,WR,OT not in order.

28-30 isn't old in nfl terms.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:47 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Hendrickson is not a FA until 2025. 

As for the rest: 

4. Boyd = likely gone unless he takes a haircut. Draft replacement now or next year. 
5. Awuzie: good but not great. See how he is this year. Draft a cornerthis year, preferably early.  He only makes around $7 mil. Reasonable. 
6. Jonah. Gone after this year if not this year. Not a core piece. Carman or Collins or a pick (this year or next) takes over.  

Awuzie was great in 2021 and got hurt...again.  The safety play took a step back and they don't want to be struck in a spot where they are handcuffed to resign him to a big deal or dedicate pick 32 in 2024 on cornerback.  Cincy is notorious for drafting replacements a year early and corner is a descent class.  

The combo of Higgins, Boyd and no in house long term TE means they could get creative at WR or TE.  We say that they don't value TE as much and debate over if they'd take even take a move TE instead of a balanced one.  They may justify prioritizing a long term #2 target option in place as a fallback if they have to tag or tag and trade Higgins next year. That or you could see them grab a WR in the mid rounds especially if they pickup an extra pick in a deal down from 28. 

Reader is on top of my list to pull money forward and add another year or two, but if he demands 3 with lots of  guaranteed money in the 3rd...we may see s replacement this year.  This isn't the best year to be forced to do so and I'd hate to take a 2 down NT early, even a close to BPA type, especially thinking 

We're absolutely looking for a Mixon help and even replacement, I'd just add that we can't assume that we will have a KC 2022 class and get a Pacheco in the 7th. Lb is a weird spot. 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 28-30 isn't old in nfl terms.

30 is old in NFL terms once you remove the protected QBs, Kickers, Punters, or Longsnappers from the equation. The rookie wage scale has made paying guys in their 30s less common than it used to be. Only the Ravens in the AFCN had more than 1 starter that wasn't one of those at age 30+ last year. The only guy the Bengals had was backup S Michael Thomas who made 0 starts and played 25 defensive snaps, with 21 of the 25 coming in the Carolina blowout win where they were up 42-7.

The only time a player 30+ has started for the Bengals defense in the last 2 years was the 2021 backup game against the Ravens.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
This is the way.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:47 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Hendrickson is not a FA until 2025. 

As for the rest: 

6. Jonah. Gone after this year if not this year. Not a core piece. Carman or Collins  a pick (this year or next) takes over.  or

Correct me if I'm wrong and I've seen others mention him as having 2 years left. But I thought when we signed him they said his contract was 3 years only by name. That really it was a two year contract.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:49 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: I expect Bengals re-sign only Wilson and Tee. Jonah obviously gone. Boyd and Reader nearly 30, so no. Awuzie will be 28 this season so team won’t throw years and big money at him. Mixon impossible to know.  So we know their focus will be, CB,DT,RB,WR,OT not in order.

I do think players can be so good you can ignore the 30 year old mark to some degree. I think Reader fits into that category.
Reply/Quote
I think all the positions are a possibility. I even think there's a chance Hendrickson could be a cap casualty next offseason with his $17.5M.

I think Reader may be the exception and get a 3rd contract with the Bengals. Run stuffing DT seems to be a position where guys don't see the drop off as early.

I'm on board with WR as early as round 3.

Trading Jonah for a 3rd and/or getting extra picks with a trade back would be ideal, but I say that every year.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 11:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Hendrickson is signed through 2024. No idea why Spotrac says this.

Because he's a candidate to be a cap casualty.  His contract is one of the most expensive on the team.  Other currently less expensive stars are going to become very expensive very soon.  Something will have to give.  Not saying it's definitely going to be Trey, but it's a real possibility.
Reply/Quote
Although that's a lot of free agents, that's also a lot of cap coming off the books. You have the option to extend or replace free agents with other free agents. Boyd, Mixon, and Jonah are as good as gone and thats actually a shit ton of money freed up right there.

No idea why so many want to throw the bag at Tee. If it comes down to being able to re-sign Tee or someone like Reader...I go Reader all day. Chase is the WR who should get the bag.

I just can't see the Bengals reaching a deal with Tee given his agent and the Bengals unwillingness to pay top dollar for WR2.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 28-30 isn't old in nfl terms.

28 is fine, it's 30 where the Bengals draw the line.  Awuzie will want a 4 year deal next year and the Bengals won't do that.  Corners fall apart quickly, as do WR's when the 30's come knocking.  No telling if it's 30, 31 or 32.  It's the long term deal that the Bengals will avoid by looking early for his replacement.  
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:24 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: 28 is fine, it's 30 where the Bengals draw the line.  Awuzie will want a 4 year deal next year and the Bengals won't do that.  Corners fall apart quickly, as do WR's when the 30's come knocking.  No telling if it's 30, 31 or 32.  It's the long term deal that the Bengals will avoid by looking early for his replacement.  

But why? I could see Reader playing at a high level for 3 more years.
Reply/Quote
Reader or a younger replacement is more important than having $40 million or more tied up on two WRs.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 10:43 AM)samhain Wrote: Because he's a candidate to be a cap casualty.  His contract is one of the most expensive on the team.  Other currently less expensive stars are going to become very expensive very soon.  Something will have to give.  Not saying it's definitely going to be Trey, but it's a real possibility.

That makes zero sense.  It is a list of free agents by year, they do not add potential cap casualties to that list...

Reply/Quote