Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Dre K wants to be 'face of the franchise'
I'm going to run this through my "what if the Steelers did this?" filter and see what I get.

What if the Steelers had a 1st round CB who started 5 games in 3 years and had some nice plays, some not so nice plays, and ran his mouth about being awesome and wanting to be super-awesome? Hmm, we'd probably be laughing about Tomlin having no control over the players and their blathering egos. Well, let's see what Dre K can do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Like the confidence from swag.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Nice to hear players on defense with a fire. Obviously we missed that from Burfict. I want a guy to want to be the best player on the team, to want to be the face of the franchise.

Remember Richard Sherman? Dude talked all the time and had some struggles, but he kept fighting.

People need to realize that transition from college to NFL as a cornerback is quite possibly the hardest transition to make. Look at Patrick Peterson, the beginning of his rookie season he was getting burned and turned around left and right. But the more time a cornerback gets on the field the beter they get and the more adapted to the game they get.

Plus, Kirkpatrick had as many INTs last year as Claiborne has his entire career; Kirkaptrick also has as many interceptions as Gilmore has his entire career.

But Kirkpatrick hasn't been starting since 2012.

Kirkpatrick has a high ceiling, and it's been that way ever since he was drafted. Cornerbacks just need time on the field, it holds true. Seriously. Go watch Sherman and Peterson in the beginning of their careers. Takes time to transition.
Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with high aspirations.

But this "face of the franchise" stuff seems a little premature for somebody who hasn't been a starter for a full season yet. I wish him the best, though. He's quick, and really seems to be on a nice upswing. If he can do it, then great.
Reply/Quote
I think to really be a great corner in this league, you have to have this type of confidence/attitude. There have been several really good corners without it, but if you look at the best, Sherman, Revis, Deion, Patrick Peterson, they all have that edge that borders on cocky (in some cases, is cocky) but if Dre gets that confidence with his physical talents, he'll be special.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 12:25 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm going to run this through my "what if the Steelers did this?" filter and see what I get.

What if the Steelers had a 1st round CB who started 5 games in 3 years and had some nice plays, some not so nice plays, and ran his mouth about being awesome and wanting to be super-awesome?  Hmm, we'd probably be laughing about Tomlin having no control over the players and their blathering egos.  Well, let's see what Dre K can do.

Lots and lots of this.

Every time something like this comes up, the first thing I do is read the comments and then try to think of what that same person would be saying had this been a Ravens or Steelers player instead.

Oh man, what fun that is. Is there ANY chance whatsoever that Dre wouldn't be getting the "bust" label from most of these guys if he were on a division rival's team instead??

I've been a big fan of #27 since we drafted the kid, but it makes me laugh when people treat our guys so much differently than others around the league. Objectivity and Jungle Noise just don't really go together much.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 09:15 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Lots and lots of this.

Every time something like this comes up, the first thing I do is read the comments and then try to think of what that same person would be saying had this been a Ravens or Steelers player instead.

Oh man, what fun that is. Is there ANY chance whatsoever that Dre wouldn't be getting the "bust" label from most of these guys if he were on a division rival's team instead??

I've been a big fan of #27 since we drafted the kid, but it makes me laugh when people treat our guys so much differently than others around the league. Objectivity and Jungle Noise just don't really go together much.

Dre was getting the bust label on the old board....

I'm pretty sure there's residual hate for Dre (from some posters) because of who he isn't...even though those CBs suck...and I mean actually suck
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2015, 05:00 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: Hate to derail the thread, but as multiple people said on the old boards, no other team would have kept Leon Hall around at that cap number.

The cynic in me thinks they just kept him around to cry poor about cap space during free agency knowing that they would either re-structure or cut him during training camp. But it's early and hopefully he can turn things on. I like the idea of him playing some safety.

i think he only gets most of it if hes still here 9/3
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 01:39 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Dre was getting the bust label on the old board....

I'm pretty sure there's residual hate for Dre (from some posters) because of who he isn't...even though those CBs suck...and I mean actually suck

There has been some bust talk of Dre on the old board for sure, I definitely remember all of that, some of it was fairly recent too.

I would just love to see this thread if it was an article about a young Browns CB that was taken in the first round and has barely been able to find the field. I think everybody here knows how that would have gone down.
Reply/Quote
I'm all for him wanting to prove he's the best, go out there and do it...but let the team tell you they want you to be a captain.
[Image: 29p43f6.png]

Quote:"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 01:45 PM)djs7685 Wrote: There has been some bust talk of Dre on the old board for sure, I definitely remember all of that, some of it was fairly recent too.

I would just love to see this thread if it was an article about a young Browns CB that was taken in the first round and has barely been able to find the field. I think everybody here knows how that would have gone down.

Sure. But Dre has been good when able to get on the field. 
That's where the analogy falls apart. 

It's a division rival of course we think it's stupid. We hate them.
If a player on a non-division rival said it, we wouldn't give two shits. 
Reply/Quote
This is definately encouraging. We have some fine young Cornerbacks and it sure would be
much nicer for Dre and Dennard to be out there so Adam can concentrate on Returning Punts
and Kicks where he is the best in the league right now IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 01:45 PM)djs7685 Wrote: There has been some bust talk of Dre on the old board for sure, I definitely remember all of that, some of it was fairly recent too.

Does it even matter?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Dre has done some good things...  He's just got to make some plays.  He's got to do his job.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Dre has done some good things...  He's just got to make some plays.  He's got to do his job.

oh yeah...and....

He's got to do a better job on 3rd down.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 03:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is definately encouraging. We have some fine young Cornerbacks and it sure would be
much nicer for Dre and Dennard to be out there so Adam can concentrate on Returning Punts
and Kicks where he is the best in the league right now IMHO.

I almost posted a thread about it, but Vance Joseph agrees with you.

He had this to say about the cornerback situation, and getting Adam more time at PR and KR.

“Adam Jones is the best returner in the game. He has to return for us,” Joseph said. “Maybe Quez can play that series. Just to keep guys fresh. Play (Hall) less snaps and he can play better down the stretch.”
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 01:03 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I almost posted a thread about it, but Vance Joseph agrees with you.

He had this to say about the cornerback situation, and getting Adam more time at PR and KR.

“Adam Jones is the best returner in the game. He has to return for us,” Joseph said. “Maybe Quez can play that series. Just to keep guys fresh. Play (Hall) less snaps and he can play better down the stretch.”

Alright. Me likey. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 01:45 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I would just love to see this thread if it was an article about a young Browns CB that was taken in the first round and has barely been able to find the field. I think everybody here knows how that would have gone down.

Like justin Gilbert?
Reply/Quote
Most of the bust talk on the old board was from the people.. some on this board also that have not come to the realization that our
team is talented enough that guys DO NOT HAVE TO START or Play for that matter during their rookie season.

I like the confidence from Dre.
He seems like he finally is comfortable and getting back his form.
Fact is even in short sample the guy has proven himself as a play maker, never can have too many of those.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 02:18 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Most of the bust talk on the old board was from the people.. some on this board also that have not come to the realization that our
team is talented enough that guys DO NOT HAVE TO START or Play for that matter during their rookie season.

I like the confidence from Dre.
He seems like he finally is comfortable and getting back his form.
Fact is even in short sample the guy has proven himself as a play maker, never can have too many of those.
There's really no shame in not being able to beat out 3 seasoned (1st rounders) vets for playing time when you're fresh outta college.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote