Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dre Kirk Says Starting Role is His
Dre Kirkpatrick is working his ass off to earn the starting job and finally play to his potential and expectations:

Quote:"I am a low key guy. The offseason this year for me has been about dialing into the vision of how I see the season unfolding," Kirkpatrick said. "I spent a tremendous amount of time back home in Alabama spending time with my son and my family."

Following the end of the season, Kirkpatrick took a month off to let his body settle and rest from the season. Then, after that month, the work began in preparing for the 2015 season. To start up his training, Kirkpatrick headed down to his alma mater, University of Alabama.

What's awesome about that is how he took a month off to heal and be with his family, but then immediately got into football mode and he's focused on being the best that he can:

Quote:"I eat, breathe, sleep football down there with those guys, not to mention the mentor factor really inspires me to be a better pro," Kirkpatrick said. The younger college guys look up to us as players that have gone through the process and are making an impact. It gives me just as much motivation as they get from the pros that come back to UA."

He's stepping into being a leader and has the mindset that he's the man this year:

Quote:And, after three years on the Bengals, Kirkpatrick's expectations are set high, "As far as the starting role is concerned it's not a question. I know it's mine," Kirkpatrick told us last week.

We need that kind of confidence and swagger from our corners, which hopefully he's rubbing off on DD because they could be a hell of a duo for years to come.

I can't wait to see what he can do with getting close to 100% of the snaps because look at what he did with only getting 21.3% of them:

Quote:In 2014, Kirkpatrick had 20 tackles, seven passes defended and three interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown. Those three interceptions tied for second-most on the team, behind only Reggie Nelson and tied with Adam Jones and George Iloka. What makes those three interceptions stick out is the amount of playing time Kirkpatrick was given to produce those results. Comparatively, Iloka played on 99.3% of the Bengals' 2014 defensive snaps, Nelson 97.9%, and Jones 69.2%, Kirkpatrick only played in 21.3% of defensive snaps throughout the 2014 season.

Then, this makes it sound like he's ready for a breakout year, but will reward the Bengals by sticking with the team:

Quote:The Bengals' trust in Kirkpatrick was solidified this offseason when Kirkpatrick experienced the highlight of his offseason. "The highlight of all highlights is the Bengals picking up my 5th year which just allows me to continue my dream," Kirkpatrick said.

And as the 2015 season approaches, Kirkpatrick will seek to further live out his dream and snag the starting role he's been working toward the past three seasons.

I'm just pumped because I think that we'll finally ee what he can do and we'll have a hell of a secondary this year, which will be aided by a much-improved pass rush.

There's more here.

I'm getting pumped already!
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 10:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Dre Kirkpatrick is working his ass off to earn the starting job and finally play to his potential and expectations:

What's awesome about that is how he took a month off to heal and be with his family, but then immediately got into football mode and he's focused on being the best that he can:

He's stepping into being a leader and has the mindset that he's the man this year:

We need that kind of confidence and swagger from our corners, which hopefully he's rubbing off on DD because they could be a hell of a duo for years to come.

I can't wait to see what he can do with getting close to 100% of the snaps because look at what he did with only getting 21.3% of them:

Then, this makes it sound like he's ready for a breakout year, but will reward the Bengals by sticking with the team:

I'm just pumped because I think that we'll finally ee what he can do and we'll have a hell of a secondary this year, which will be aided by a much-improved pass rush.

There's more here.

I'm getting pumped already!

I like his confidence. Adam Jones won't be here much longer. Leon Hall is oft injured, a large cap hit, and declining. The time is now for both Kirkpatrick and Dennard.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Cincinnati is ready to watch you turn it up Dre K.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I legitimately feel like this kid and Dennard can put us over the top, no joke. These guys are ball hawks.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 11:44 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I legitimately feel like this kid and Dennard can put us over the top, no joke. These guys are ball hawks.

I don't know why Dre is so hyped this off season. Yes he has made some highlight plays but his overall body of work is very suspect. I've seen countless times over the years where he's been beat really bad.  

As far as Dennard; I had high hopes for him but we didn't get to see him play at all so who knows what he's capable of.

The only CBs we can count on are PacMan and Hall.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 10:11 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: I like his confidence.  Adam Jones won't be here much longer.  Leon Hall is oft injured, a large cap hit, and declining.  The time is now for both Kirkpatrick and Dennard.

You don't think we will re-sign Jones?
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 08:19 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I don't know why Dre is so hyped this off season. Yes he has made some highlight plays but his overall body of work is very suspect. I've seen countless times over the years where he's been beat really bad.  

As far as Dennard; I had high hopes for him but we didn't get to see him play at all so who knows what he's capable of.

They picked up his option, so expect him to start.  He also hasn't gotten a lot of snaps for someone who has been here four years.  Now in his fifth year, we'll see what he's capable of.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 08:19 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I don't know why Dre is so hyped this off season. Yes he has made some highlight plays but his overall body of work is very suspect. I've seen countless times over the years where he's been beat really bad.  

I feel like Dre got burned a lot in 2013 by Calvin Johnson and a few others, but overall I think he filled in well last year. Each time he has gotten more playing time he has improved

Also he has a knack for interceptions which is something we need. He gets beat every so often but his int per snap ratio is pretty high I believe. Could be wrong there but I don't see any reason to think he won't be better than hall was last year. I would take getting best every so often for some more ints to swing momentum. But that's just my opinion.
Reply/Quote

PacMan maybe.   I'll take my chances with CBs who have two good achilles.  I hope he proves me wrong though.  
Reply/Quote

I think that might have been just because he was getting so little playing time that he was always trying to make a big play and not protecting himself against giving up a big play.

Now that he'll see the field more, he can play defensive football but still have his opportunities for interceptions and big plays.
Reply/Quote

You didn't watch Hall a lot this season, huh? He was beaten a lot and gave up some big, crucial plays this past year. He's on the decline.

Also, cornerbacks take time to transition from the NCAA to the NFL. It's just how it is. Kirkpatrick hasn't received much playing time. Goo look at Patrick Peterson's rookie season, he was getting beat and fooled quite a lot.

Cornerback is the one position you can only get better at the more snaps you get. So while Kirkpatrick showed how much he struggles with double moves (and my word, it was bad) he certainly showed that he deserved to start with the more snaps he received.
Reply/Quote
This is just standard offseason talk. His signature game last year was against a crippled Manning. I still think he has potential to meet expectations, but as of right now the jury is still out on this kid.
Reply/Quote
I believe Dre K and DD are our starters this year. Not because Hall can't play anymore but because he is amazing as the slot defender and taking on the TEs. This is what he was doing so well in 13 until he got hurt (remember the pick six against Miller against the Steelers). He is more physical and smarter than the young ones which helps as a nickel corner. I think Dre is ready to breakout. Swag is ready to bring just that to this secondary. For someone that was not known for INTs he has done pretty well creating turnovers with the limited snaps. He will not be perfect and will get beat at times that is part of being a CB, especially an aggressive one. But if he can get 7-10 picks this year with more snaps I will be happy. I also like that he is not afraid to get physical. He has made some big tackles. He can be Shermanesque with his ability to press and be physical but also make plays with the ball in the air. I am ready for the youth movement in our secondary. The new Fischer Price Club.
Reply/Quote
I really hope Dre has made the turn for the better because he does have the potential to be special and with Dennard they really could make a great duo from this point going forward. I know he has had situations in which he has been burned but so have some of the premiere corners in the game. It is part of the learning process and to be fair to him he was not always healthy and he did not see the field that often. To get better you have to be put in those situations to overcome them and improve. With the help of Vance Joseph I think he is on the right track and I think he is getting the mind set that a solid corner needs to have. It is good to see that he is getting confidence because that will be important for him to grow. I hear some saying that Adam Jones and Leon Hall are our two best corners but I have to disagree with Hall because he has been on the decline since being hurt with the same injury twice granted it was to both Achilles but still it has affected him. Don't get me wrong I like Hall but he is going to be over 30 and his salary could be a problem after this season unless he decides to take a more cap friendly contract next season. However his best role is being in the slot because that helps to eliminate him getting beat from faster receivers. As for Jones I think he will continue to prosper in his role at corner and I think he is in no danger of going nowhere on this team because of his return ability and he always seems to make a special play when needed but once again his age could be the only thing that hurts him in the future with this team. I just hope when it is all said and done though that our two starting corners this year are Dre and Dennard because I feel they just bring more to the secondary. Who Dey!!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 02:00 PM)bengalsfan73 Wrote: I really hope Dre has made the turn for the better because he does have the potential to be special and with Dennard they really could make a great duo from this point going forward. I know he has had situations in which he has been burned but so have some of the premiere corners in the game. It is part of the learning process and to be fair to him he was not always healthy and he did not see the field that often. To get better you have to be put in those situations to overcome them and improve. With the help of Vance Joseph I think he is on the right track and I think he is getting the mind set that a solid corner needs to have. It is good to see that he is getting confidence because that will be important for him to grow. I hear some saying that Adam Jones and Leon Hall are our two best corners but I have to disagree with Hall because he has been on the decline since being hurt with the same injury twice granted it was to both Achilles but still it has affected him. Don't get me wrong I like Hall but he is going to be over 30 and his salary could be a problem after this season unless he decides to take a more cap friendly contract next season. However his best role is being in the slot because that helps to eliminate him getting beat from faster receivers. As for Jones I think he will continue to prosper in his role at corner and I think he is in no danger of going nowhere on this team because of his return ability and he always seems to make a special play when needed but once again his age could be the only thing that hurts him in the future with this team. I just hope when it is all said and done though that our two starting corners this year are Dre and Dennard because I feel they just bring more to the secondary. Who Dey!!!!

Pretty much agree with everything here except let's see how Hall does this coming year, being a year removed from his injury.
Reply/Quote
glad to see Dre steppin up!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Well, he can't really get much worse. 1st round pick, 4 years, no production. He's a solid bust at this point in his career.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 08:00 AM)kramer1 Wrote: Well, he can't really get much worse. 1st round pick, 4 years, no production. He's a solid bust at this point in his career.

No production?  Did you miss the three interceptions this past season, one of which was returned for a touchdown?

I'll admit that it hasn't been what we expected, but most of that was due to injuries and/or vets in front of him.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 08:00 AM)kramer1 Wrote: Well, he can't really get much worse. 1st round pick, 4 years, no production. He's a solid bust at this point in his career.

No production?  Did you read the earlier post with his numbers for his limited snaps? 
Reply/Quote
He played 20% of snaps in his 4th season. He's a first round pick. That's the very definition of no production.
Reply/Quote