Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dre Kirkpatrick had offseason shoulder surgery

It is what it is and who knows if it could have been different if it wasn't.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 09:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You and your blind defender-ing all over this board is what is ridiculous.

It's not my fault Kirkpatrick missed 16 tackles last year, 2nd most among all CB. Last I checked, that was REALLY bad tackling. Plus O Coords DID throw the ball at Dre a lot, the second most targets among all CB in the NFL, which is another reason why he was 3rd in penalties in the entire NFL at all positions.

I'm sure you're going to ignore all these facts and point out something meaningless, somewhat off topic, and act like you're the smartest person on the board and we should enjoy your smug posts like they're the greatest gift we could receive.

Well yeah... That's how Fred has made a name for himself over the years. He's like the Skip Bayless of Bengal message boards
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 08:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who would have replaced the 95% of the defensive snaps Dre took last year.

To answer your question, whoever CB we took a round or two later... That should have been obvious.
Reply/Quote
Reading through some posts embarrasses me to be a fan at times. Fans hatred for a player(s) skew their rationale. Athletes are human. Injuries can hurt production. Has anyone tried to tackle or wrap up other great athletes with a bum shoulder? I hope Dre is healthy in 2016, he did struggle a year ago, maybe this had a lot to do with it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 09:35 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: not sure where in my post i questioned his professionalism 

Never said that you questioned his professionalism.  Was merely stating that playing through pain was to be expected of someone earning millions of dollars to play ball.  As in it should be of no surprise to anyone, to learn that a player continued through the season playing with an injury.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 09:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You and your blind defender-ing all over this board is what is ridiculous.

It's not my fault Kirkpatrick missed 16 tackles last year, 2nd most among all CB. Last I checked, that was REALLY bad tackling. Plus O Coords DID throw the ball at Dre a lot, the second most targets among all CB in the NFL, which is another reason why he was 3rd in penalties in the entire NFL at all positions.

I'm sure you're going to ignore all these facts and point out something meaningless, somewhat off topic, and act like you're the smartest person on the board and we should enjoy your smug posts like they're the greatest gift we could receive.

Coordinators will target an injured player. I think that's what happened last season. Given our injuries at that position last year, its amazing we weren't worse in pass defense.

Lighten up on dre. He's not lights out, but he's better than a lot of guys. Our two other options are to pull a hue and draft six CB s every other year, hoping one or two step up, or to sign every tired old broken down free agent and hope they last two games before their gassed.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 09:00 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: This, but i would like to see a major improvement in dre this season. Seems about every play he gets beat by 2-3 steps . I've bashed dre as much as any. Let's see what he does this season, if no improvement let him go and upgrade.  Rock On    

last year was his first full season starting for us and apparently did so injured. Helped contribute to the #2 scoring defense (you arent the #2 scoring defense if half these guys were half as bad as the fans here claim)

A full season of starting experience plus healthy should definately be an improvement.

as far as letting him go. Why he shouldnt command top dollar and he has the skills to play even if he gets bumped down the DC hes still a valuable commodity.

Whould you guys rather have dee milliner? im sure the jets will swing that trade...
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 09:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: last year was his first full season starting for us and apparently did so injured.  Helped contribute to the #2 scoring defense (you arent the #2 scoring defense if half these guys were half as bad as the fans here claim)

A full season of starting experience plus healthy should definately be an improvement.

as far as letting him go.  Why he shouldnt command top dollar and he has the skills to play even if he gets bumped down the DC hes still a valuable commodity.

Whould you guys rather have dee milliner? im sure the jets will swing that trade...

Only it ain't just the fans that say 27 is bad, look at his scores and rankings.  Saying that last year was his first as a starter is more of an indictment of his play than an endorsement or excuse for his lackluster numbers.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 09:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Having taken Decastro, rather than Kirkpatrick, would have absolutely zero bearing on how many snaps would have needed to be accounted for.  Had the Bengals not drafted Kirkpatrick, they likely would have selected another corner, a round or two later.  When you factor in all of Kirkpatrick's bench time for injury, a 3rd round corner could have easily been developed to do as many, or even more quality snaps from scrimmage.

Like they did with Ratliff and Ghee?
Reply/Quote
So what do we do about this guy? We couldn't judge him for 3 years because he was either injured or a "rookie" and now the tape on last season can't be properly evaluated because he was inured the whole time? Geez...are we ever going to know what this guy can actually do?
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 11:50 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So what do we do about this guy? We couldn't judge him for 3 years because he was either injured or a "rookie" and now the tape on last season can't be properly evaluated because he was inured the whole time? Geez...are we ever going to know what this guy can actually do?

Let's just hope he's healthy next year and able to show what he can really do.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 11:51 AM)milksheikh Wrote: Let's just hope he's healthy next year and able to show what he can really do.

I recall joking that we "might" have an idea of what Dre can do before we need to decide to extend him following his rookie deal.  Whoops!  At this point I'm assuming we won't know what we have in him until he's been retired for a few seasons.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 12:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I recall joking that we "might" have an idea of what Dre can do before we need to decide to extend him following his rookie deal.  Whoops!  At this point I'm assuming we won't know what we have in him until he's been retired for a few seasons.

We will let him go, he will do well somewhere else, and everyone will complain about not keeping him! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Finding out about the injury makes the 1st round selection even better. At least Kirkpatrick had the guys to play through it, which is a credit to him.

Early draft prediction for two years from now (2018): We'll select 1st round corner.

If we get into the season with a healthy Dennard, Kirkpatrick, Jones, Jackson, Iloka, Williams and Shaw this secondary will top the league.

Reply/Quote
apparently Leon hall had offseason back surgery... which might be why he is still outta work

(if anyone was interested in what halls up to)
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 12:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: apparently Leon hall had offseason back surgery... which might be why he is still outta work

(if anyone was interested in what halls up to)

He's visiting the Giants apparently..
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
As with most things, the truth about DreKirk is probably somewhere in the middle. Is he a really good player? No. Have we seen his best? Probably. Is he as plum awful as some think? Doubtful.

Our pass defense ranked 5th in passer rating and 4th in YPA. I'm not buying that those rankings could be achieved with a garbage starting CB. I'd sum up DreKirk by saying he's been a disappointment and a borderline bust when you consider his injuries and play. I'd also say he's at least serviceable until we find an upgrade. Hopefully WJ3 can be that upgrade.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I have nothing against Dre so much as I find amusement in half a decade of "wait 'n' see" talk about the guy.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 08:50 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Reading through some posts embarrasses me to be a fan at times. Fans hatred for a player(s) skew their rationale. Athletes are human. Injuries can hurt production. Has anyone tried to tackle or wrap up other great athletes with a bum shoulder? I hope Dre is healthy in 2016, he did struggle a year ago, maybe this had a lot to do with it.

I guarantee playing NFL level contact with a bum AC joint is a losing proposition.  I've had one and it hurts just to raise your elbow just a little.  Contact with an AC injury is excruciating.  I'm pretty sure it would cause a lot of conscious and unconscious avoidance of contact.  The fact that he played the year with it and played as well as he did is laudable.

Hopefully the injury problems are in the rear view mirror.   When he is healthy he is a good corner.
Reply/Quote
I've harped on him before but never thought he was terrible.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He ain't great, but he isn't top tier either just because of team rankings.

Dee Milner... *shudder*
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote