Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB coach Van Pelt making Dalton practise throwing under pressure
(06-09-2018, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I put as much of the fault at our OC and WR coach.  The so-called scrambling drill is something piggy and the steelers execute to perfection.  If anything, they ramp up their efforts, while a lot of our guys just stop.  You could really notice this at games.  Even Chad Johnson, who I love, would do this and it would piss me off.  Piggy would have specific spots he knew his guys would break for in a scramble drill and he would have options.  He hit two TDs against Jax in the playoffs on plays that would have been Dalton throwing it out of bounds for the Bengals.  

It is a point that needs to be emphasized.  The steelers look at it as an opportunity for a big play, the Bengals look at it as a loss of down and, hopefully, not a turnover. 

Good point.  Love the idea of training to make an opportunity out of a situational breakdown.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2018, 12:58 PM)BengalD Wrote: Have been trying to figure that one out myself for a few seasons.  If everybody is on the same page - wouldn't you know when and where everybody is? 

Of course he knows where everyone is supposed to be, if the play goes as planned.  However, when the play breaks down, the receivers also need to work their way back to him.  Football is a team sport, takes a team to overcome obstacles and win championships.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 08:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Of course he knows where everyone is supposed to be, if the play goes as planned.  However, when the play breaks down, the receivers also need to work their way back to him.  Football is a team sport, takes a team to overcome obstacles and win championships.

Oh I'm pretty sure he understands the plays as well - he just doesn't utilize the look off as well as Brady, or Rottenberger.  There is an art to it - and not everybody is equally as gifted.  Doesn't mean you can't quit trying though.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 08:31 AM)BengalD Wrote: Oh I'm pretty sure he understands the plays as well - he just doesn't utilize the look off as well as Brady, or Rottenberger.  There is an art to it - and not everybody is equally as gifted.  Doesn't mean you can't quit trying though.

Part of being able to do a "lookoff", is having a pocket to step into.  Seeing how the pressure seems to come right up the middle, the opportunities to step up and look anyone off have been rather limited.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 08:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Part of being able to do a "lookoff", is having a pocket to step into.  Seeing how the pressure seems to come right up the middle, the opportunities to step up and look anyone off have been rather limited.

True
Reply/Quote