Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dre Kirkpatrick
He makes about the same mistakes as Leon Hall... a 'shutdown' corner to some on these boards.

Dre K is just fine.. like Leon.
Reply/Quote
What I've seen out of him is him coming from the opposite side of the field on several occasions and flat out run people down to save touchdowns. He's young, fast, and will only get better. Seems like people are just looking for anything to criticize.... Newman was too old, Kirkpatrick is too young.....geeze.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 11:13 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bro...I did. Which is why I brought it up. No crap he didnt let the guy get purposely behind him, which is why I raised the question. Its a fair question and you sure can't seem to explain it. 

And yeah, on that play he absolutely played the blame game. He was pointing and yelling at the safety like it was his fault that the guy scored. If I was the safety, and even if it was my fault, I would have slapped Dre upside the head on the sideline and told him to never call me out publicly on the field again.

I would watch it again, he was yelling at Lamur, who is not a safetly. Lamur messed up. Wilson saw a chance to beat the coverage and took it. Lamur didn't follow the guy like he was supposed to. You should start a thread about Lamur, not Dre K.
Reply/Quote
Not an expert, but on the Kearse TD we had Nelson in the box and Iloka was the single high safety but he was covering the other side of the field from Dre. Lamur was on the slot man and Dre K had Kearse.

It looked to me that both receivers ran go routes, Dre K saw Lamur out of the corner of his eye and thought he was Iloka so dropped underneath. Lamur followed his man on the deep inside cross and the rest is history.

Ofc, it could have been a rotated Cover 3 with Dre K on the short zone, Lamur deep and Iloka and Jones taking the other deep thirds... We'll probably never know. Although any DC that draws up a play with Lamur following a WR deep deserves to give up points!
Reply/Quote
For every bad play i see him make he makes one good one. He made a huge play on Seattle last possession of the 4th quarter. He isn't our best CB, but is isn't our worst.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
NIT PICKING.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 03:28 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Not an expert, but on the Kearse TD we had Nelson in the box and Iloka was the single high safety but he was covering the other side of the field from Dre. Lamur was on the slot man and Dre K had Kearse.

It looked to me that both receivers ran go routes, Dre K saw Lamur out of the corner of his eye and thought he was Iloka so dropped underneath.  Lamur followed his man on the deep inside cross and the rest is history.

Ofc, it could have been a rotated Cover 3 with Dre K on the short zone, Lamur deep and Iloka and Jones taking the other deep thirds... We'll probably never know. Although any DC that draws up a play with Lamur following a WR deep deserves to give up points!

Iloka wasn't even on the field, he ran off right before the play.

Leon was the single high safety with Reggie in the box on the weakside, Lamur started in the box to what appears to be disguising a cover 2 to look like cover 1, and dropped back into what should've been deep zone, Dre was playing short and passed Kearse off to Lamur, who thought he had Dre's 
zone. Hence no one near Kearse.

Best guess is that Lamur got confused and Dre let him know it.
Reply/Quote
So people love Adam Jones when he gives people the "do your damn job" speech but think Dre K is an ass for blaming blown coverage.

Uh... okay.

Dre K is gonna get burned from time to time.  It's the nature of the position.

I will echo what some others have posted.

The guy has saved the team's ass a couple of times chasing down blown coverage from the opposite side of the field.

Does he need to improve some?  Sure.  It will happen.

Give him a freaking break. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It looks like Dre is hurt a lot during games.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Chris Crocker goes through 3 broken coverages. 2 were on Dre 1 was on the defensive line. Http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/10/22/bengals-film-session-reasons-db-breakdowns/74411128/
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
DRE plays awfully soft/conservative coverage most of the time. He gives the opponent too many easy catches. He is rarely in super tight coverage swatting the ball away from the defender. Too vanilla IMO.

9 times out of 10, the targeted receiver makes the catch. He has the wheels to play much tighter like Hall or Jones who are not even as fast and NOT give the receivers so much of a cushion a la automatic catch!
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 09:46 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: He's also one of the only guys constantly chasing down players when they break away - either from him or other people - and hawks them down.

Every corner is going to give up plays. And I haven't seen him playing the blame game.

But they also break away because of his poor tackling.  He has missed a lot of tackles.  I think Dennard is more talented and has more potential.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 11:09 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This really kind of scares me... remember when Marvin said Dennard was the best rookie corner he had ever seen?
Remember when Dre looked like he had no business in the NFL?  Dennard has had very little playing time on defense.  He'll be fine.  I still think Dennard will end up being the better of the two.

I'm not huge on Kirkpatrick.  I think he's average.  But I have noticed that at least once a game he makes a huge play.  The hit on the WR vs Seattle was great.  That was gonna be a catch, but Dre timed the hit just right.... and managed to not get flagged.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 09:21 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Not sure if its just me, but I feel as if this guy has been giving up big plays all year. It's not only the fact that he gives up big plays, but it's how he reacts and blames other people when he does it. He is constantly pointing the finger.

Also, has anyone else noticed that he is constantly acting like he is hurt? Either limping off the field or excessively laying on the ground when he falls down and makes a tackle?

What was the deal with the touchdown he gave up to Seattle? Whos fault was it? Blown coverage by Dre or someone else's fault? I was at the game and I havent seen the play since.

If you watch closely him and Adam Jones play a scarily similar style.

They are both SUPER AGGRESSIVE.

They will make some big plays but they will also give up some big plays.

At the end of the day.... In an NFL geared toward offense ALL these guys get burnt to a crisp at times.
Reply/Quote
I have nothing against Dre, but I get a little "meh" when people keep defending him with rhetoric usually reserved for rookies and/or 2nd year guys. Let's face it, if Dre were picked by the Steelers in the 1st round and their fans were defending him by saying he's going to learn and/or comparing him to an elite corner's rookie season we'd be laughing our arses off.

It's his 4th season and we're still defending him as if he were a newly-minted player and/or a late-round developmental pick and he is neither. I'm just frustrated because I don't think we are going to know much about his potential before it's time to decide if he's worth big money.
Reply/Quote
Leon was burned a bunch last year.

Pacman has given up his share of big plays, along with every other corner we have ever had. Remember when PacMan had to cover Keenan Allen in the 2013 regular season game? I do because I was there, and he got burned all day.

Corner is one of those boom or bust positions. Giving up 2-3 plays a game is natural, and if it wasn't for two coverage busts, Dre K has actually played a damn good season. He saved a touchdown from happening vs Melvin Ingram this year when he ran across the entire field and one hand tackled him to save the long play. Dre K has been just fine, and people pick on him just as they did when he was a 'bust' when first drafted.

Our corners have been playing great, so I don't get why there is so much hate on these corners. The LB's are the real problem.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 10:18 AM)Whacked Wrote: DRE plays awfully soft/conservative coverage most of the time. He gives the opponent too many easy catches. He is rarely in super tight coverage swatting the ball away from the defender. Too vanilla IMO.

9 times out of 10, the targeted receiver makes the catch. He has the wheels to play much tighter like Hall or Jones who are not even as fast and NOT give the receivers so much of a cushion a la automatic catch!

Isn't that on Guenther more than dre though?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 02:18 PM)J24 Wrote: Isn't that on Guenther more than dre though?

I hope not, because I forsee Geunthereur being our DC for another decade.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 02:18 PM)J24 Wrote: Isn't that on Guenther more than dre though?

Yes. Asking a guy who plays better on the line in man to consistently play zone is a failure on his part. 
Reply/Quote
Not sure why people are so hard on Dennard. Maybe not great, but doesn't look as bad as Kirkpatrick.... here's about Dennard's Buffalo game: "On 32 snaps in coverage, he allowed one catch for 5 yards on a third-and-17." With an interception.

While I don't think it's the end-all-be-all, Pro Football Focus is an interesting thing to use at least a little bit of reference and after Week 4, they had Kirkpatrick rated as their 103rd CB out of 104 qualifiers and it's not like he's tore it up since then.

I also see references in this thread to Sherman's rookie year, and other uses of the word rookie. Kirkpatrick is a nearly-26-year-old fourth year player who is a 17th overall pick.
Sherman was a 23-year-old rookie 5th round pick (154th overall).
They're not really comparable situations.

Kirkpatrick and the LBs are scary points on this defense.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote