Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dre Kirkpatrick
(10-24-2015, 02:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I also see references in this thread to Sherman's rookie year, and other uses of the word rookie. Kirkpatrick is a nearly-26-year-old fourth year player who is a 17th overall pick.
Sherman was a 23-year-old rookie 5th round pick (154th overall).
They're not really comparable situations.

That's exactly my point.  Sometimes I think Dre is going to have to be eligible for AARP before we stop acting like he is a rookie.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Two things.

One, Marvin's allergy to playing the kids is biting us here because when you look at snaps neither Dre nor Dennard have had real playing time prior to this season. As a result we are now getting their growing pains.

Two, it is a mystery why Paulie plays Zone instead of Man when all of our top three corners are better in Man. Lest we forget Zim was the DC when we got these players and he did a lot more Man coverage.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 02:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: Two things.

One, Marvin's allergy to playing the kids is biting us here because when you look at snaps neither Dre nor Dennard have had real playing time prior to this season. As a result we are now getting their growing pains.

Two, it is a mystery why Paulie plays Zone instead of Man when all of our top three corners are better in Man. Lest we forget Zim was the DC when we got these players and he did a lot more Man coverage.

It's because it's the lesser of two evils.
Dre isn't good in zone coverage.
But he's less bad in zone than any of our LBs are in man coverage.

We have 0 LBs who can stick with guys in man.
Dre can at least handle zone usually.

It's also partially because Reggie is old. He's a step behind and can't run with guys in man any more. They need him in zones or in the box. 

This is at fault of Paul and Marvin failing to address the LB in the last 3 seasons. 
Pinning all their hopes on UDFAs and old retreads. 
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 04:08 PM)McC Wrote: NIT PICKING.

at its best....This guy needs to play man coverage. He just is not built for that soft zone play off crap guenther likes to play.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
Well there was this from last week's game:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/19/worst-players-at-every-position-for-week-6-2/

Quote:WORST PLAYERS AT EVERY POSITION FOR WEEK 6

Cornerbacks: Dre Kirkpatrick, Bengals (-3.6) and Antwon Blake, Steelers (-3.4)

Kirkpatrick didn’t have an extremely bad day in coverage, allowing seven receptions on 11 targets for 82 yards, with only 26 of them coming after the catch. In the run game, though, he missed two tackles and finished with a -1.9 grade. Blake was picked on all game by QB Carson Palmer, allowing 9-of-13 targets to be caught. He surrendered 163 yards and a touchdown, with 98 yards coming in the air.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
He has given up some big plays. Looking at him this year I've seen a few things, first he seems to give the WR a good 6-7 cushion every play, second there have been some communication mishaps between him and the safeties at times, and third he's been called for some bogus penalties. With all this however he's still made some nice plays, it seems as though he's trying to bait the QB in making a pass he can pick, he needs to worry more about preventing the reception, the mis-communication for the most part seems to be him shading a WR to the safety and the safety not picking it up and the penalties have been badly called against him all season. I do hope he starts to pick up his game though in the second half of the season.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 10:19 AM)Element Wrote: Bro watch the game, it was a miscommunication/blown coverage, he didnt purposefully let his guy get behind him, he probably thought he had safety help, we will never know whos fault it was.

He doesnt play the blame game either, and yeah did you see the hit he had on that receiver to bat the ball out? I dont think he was faking the injury, watch his body on the damn replay.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/10/22/bengals-film-session-reasons-db-breakdowns/74411128/

This may partially answer your question.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 05:28 PM)CincyProduct Wrote: at its best....This guy needs to play man coverage. He just is not built for that soft zone play off crap guenther likes to play.

I totally agree with this. The coaches had better be teaching these young DBs to play man to man because the Bengals won't be ahead in all games playing zone.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 08:44 PM)Derrick Wrote: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/10/22/bengals-film-session-reasons-db-breakdowns/74411128/

This may partially answer your question.

Thanks for the post, this actually answered almost everything.

First off, I stand corrected, it looks like on both busted coverages it was Dre K's fault.

Secondly, it was brought up by other members in this post, but Crocker says that the defense is playing a lot of zone defense. This is because we have been ahead in most games. He says he thinks they will play more man to man when they are behind or the game is close. My question is, did we switch to man to man late in the Hawks game? The defense tightened up and it would be interesting to know if that was a change in playcalling or just the players being more disciplined.

Thirdly, Chris Crocker is a really good analyst. He should be working for ESPN or NFL network imo, guy is intelligent, experienced and well spoken. Have been impressed with his analysis and videos.
Reply/Quote
Ha, Dre missed ONE tackle, not two and he was barely involved in any run plays.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Not the best game for Dre against the Steelers yesterday. Really hope he picks it up. They were obviously picking on him.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 11:33 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Not the best game for Dre against the Steelers yesterday. Really hope he picks it up. They were obviously picking on him.

I agree he was being targeted. I don't think he is garbage, I just think he needs to do a better job turning his head/body on those sideline routes. It is like he is a half second late reacting and results in completions or penalties when in fact the coverage is solid.

I also know it is a tough position to play, one minute a hero and next the goat. I watched Amari Cooper eat Revis alive at time yesterday when they left him on an island. It happens to the best. I also a pretty good Cromartie get burned by the Raiders yesterday. It is NFL football as the receivers have and get a huge advantage.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 11:13 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And yeah, on that play he absolutely played the blame game. He was pointing and yelling at the safety like it was his fault that the guy scored. If I was the safety, and even if it was my fault, I would have slapped Dre upside the head on the sideline and told him to never call me out publicly on the field again.

Funny that when a player a person likes calls out a teammate he is "demanding accountability and being a leader", but when the fan doesn't like the player who called out another then he is "playing the blame game and needs to be slapped".

Reminds me of when the media was fawning over Brady for yelling at his WRs, but when Palmer yelled at Ocho it was just "a sign of internal dissension".
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 11:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny that when a player a person likes calls out a teammate he is "demanding accountability and being a leader", but when the fan doesn't like the player who called out another then he is "playing the blame game and needs to be slapped".

Reminds me of when the media was fawning over Brady for yelling at his WRs, but when Palmer yelled at Ocho it was just "a sign of internal dissension".

Yep.  Stuff like this is the most biased, and deductive stuff there is.
Reply/Quote
I saw it mentioned on Twitter that Dre was thrown at 5 times on the opening drive and all 5 times resulted in first downs. That was pretty brutal. I didn't see much of him the rest of the way so he settled down and improved, but he still has work to do.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 05:59 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I saw it mentioned on Twitter that Dre was thrown at 5 times on the opening drive and all 5 times resulted in first downs. That was pretty brutal. I didn't see much of him the rest of the way so he settled down and improved, but he still has work to do.

Didn't they have him on Antonio Brown to start the game?  If so, that was a bad matchup on the coaches' parts.  They switched Pacman over there next series, and Brown got quiet, and Dre played better on Heyward Bey and Bryant.  The shifty Brown on Dre was mismatch they exploited well.  Pacman was able to keep up with him much better.  That was a bad oversight on the staff's part, but at least they corrected it quickly.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 06:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Didn't they have him on Antonio Brown to start the game?  If so, that was a bad matchup on the coaches' parts.  They switched Pacman over there next series, and Brown got quiet, and Dre played better on Heyward Bey and Bryant.  The shifty Brown on Dre was mismatch they exploited well.  Pacman was able to keep up with him much better.  That was a bad oversight on the staff's part, but at least they corrected it quickly.

Just like when Seattle had Sherman shadow Green. 
Happens to nearly every corner against a great WR and Brown is certainly that
Reply/Quote
A couple of notes on DreK thus far...

1: I would NOT be upset if the Bengals made a move in the draft to go up and get an impact CB or LB in the first round (like a Pacman or Mack type talent). I just wouldn't. They won't be picking high enough to get anyone super impactful, but they need to add strong talent at the CB spot in a passing league.

I think DreK is developing into a solid player, but so far has not been a consistent playmaker.

^ The above is coming from someone who absolutely has loved the Bengals staying put and drafting the way they have. But they are still so young and can afford to be a little agressive with a pick every now and then. There are also so many guys up for new deals that this might be impossible.

2: He was picked on by the Steelers in the first quarter but the Bengals made adjustments and everyone settled in. He is my biggest ? on the defense.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 06:15 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Just like when Seattle had Sherman shadow Green. 
Happens to nearly every corner against a great WR and Brown is certainly that

Yup.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I have yet to see Dre turn his head around when the ball is in the air. Also, why is he always groping the backs of receivers while the ball is in the air? This guys technique is horrible.
Reply/Quote