Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Top 10 Alltime SNL Cast Members
Martin Short and Billy Crystal were pretty funny.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2018, 12:56 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Farley, Hartman, Ferrell, McDonald, Spade, Sandler, M. Myers, Hammond, Hader, and Morgan.

I'm a bit biased towards the early 90's era. I almost said Amy Poehler, but I think she was far better on UCB and Parks and Rec than she was ever given the oppurtunity to be on SNL.

Poehler, Fey, Fallon, Miller were all best on the SNL update news.

That's the one where I feel Kevin Nealon kind of ruled them all.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If I'd have to pick a personal favorite of them all it would have to be Phil Hartman.

He really could do it all.

Straight serious and goofy too.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2018, 02:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I could post two totally different lists. One based on who was funny on SNL and one based on who had the best overall career.

For example Julie Louis-Dreyfus is an amazing comic actress but did nothing memorable when she was a SNL castmember.

Yeah. I'm looking for the former, the people who were successful and funny on SNL. Julie Louis-Dreyfus is an good example of the opposite. Lorraine Newman, Garret Morris and Gilda Radner were funny on SNL, but did little outside of it (obviously, Gilda's life was cut short). They would be the types I am asking about here.

It can be a little difficult in recent years since SNL has turned into a vehicle for launching comedians into movie or TV careers rather than an end unto itself.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 04:23 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Based only on their SNL time.

Here is mine:

1) John Belushi - He was the top star on the show during the early years, without doubt. And that was among a pretty talented group.
2) Eddie Murphy - The only thing that kept the show afloat during the "Dark Years"
3) Dana Carvey - He and Mike Myers brought the 'funny' back to the show.
4) Mike Myers - see above
5) Gilda Radner - Created some awesome characters.
6) Will Farrell - His film career overshadows his SNL work. But did some memorable skits there as well.
7) Chris Farley - Like Gilda, created some awesome charcaters.
8) Phil Hartman - A personal favorite. Played an excellent 'straight guy'.
9) Dan Aykroyd - Always seemed to be behind the scenes. But if you look, he was in many of the funniest skits in the early years. Another great 'straight guy'.
10) Bill Murray - Post SNL work was funnier than his time in the cast, but he had his moments, IMO.  

What is your list?

John Belushi - that skit he did where he was an old man walking to a fresh grave as everyone was leaving then looked around and started dancing on the grave was fantastic...so funny to me but pissed a lot of people off.
Eddie Murphy - Mr. Robinsons Neighborhood...enough said.
Dan Aykroyd - "Jane you miserable slut" and the Bass-O-Matic which he actually drank.
Gilda Radner - Rossanna Rossanna Danna.
Chris Farley - "Van Down By The River" and Chip-N-Dales Audition
Phil Hartman - The man of many faces...so great.
Jane Curtain - How she kept it together was amazing and she was funny as hell.

I don't like any others so it's all the old school stuff for me.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 04:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: SNL to me will always be the late 70's early 80's bunch

John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtin, Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy.

After like 85 or so I haven't watched a handful of episodes. Think I watched a tiny bit in early 90's.

This. The show stopped being funny 25 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I had forgotten about a lot of these names so without renaming some of these greats I’ll just name a couple I liked that haven’t been mentioned yet.

I liked Kristin wig and think Kate McKinnon’s pretty good.

More I think about it it seems like the last few cast cycles the women have been much better than the men have. When was the last great male comic on SNL? Adam Sandburg has been successful since snl but I don’t really remember him having a real impact on the show other than the lonely island shorts.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2018, 12:56 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Farley, Hartman, Ferrell, McDonald, Spade, Sandler, M. Myers, Hammond, Hader, and Morgan.

I'm a bit biased towards the early 90's era. I almost said Amy Poehler, but I think she was far better on UCB and Parks and Rec than she was ever given the oppurtunity to be on SNL.

Tracy Morgan was always pretty damn funny on SNL.

My list would be pretty close to this one. Always liked Dennis Miller on Weekend Update.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote