Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Drew Sample is PFF’s #1 graded pass blocking TE
This is from a Twitter user named Willie Lutz. Saw the post and didn’t see one on here.

Apparently out of 110 eligible TE’s Sample is #1 in pass blocking and as a bonus he’s 33/110 in run blocking.

So he’s having a good bounceback season once you factor in he’s not here to catch passes but his only real purpose is to block.

Still not happy about getting a glorified lineman at TE in the second round but being the best pass blocking TE in the league when many of us wanted Darnell Washington is definitely a plus.

Keep chugging Drew. We rock with ya
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Sample is a good player that fans would have loved if he was drafted as a 6th or 7th RD pick. 2nd RD was obviously too high.

I know I'm being Captain Obvious.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I’d rather have him out there over Irv Smith. I’ll give him that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d rather have him out there over Irv Smith. I’ll give him that.

Well you will get your wish because Smith is always injured and that has continued already in his first year with the Bengals.

Thankfully he only signed a one year deal.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:05 AM)Housh Wrote: This is from a Twitter user named Willie Lutz. Saw the post and didn’t see one on here.

Apparently out of 110 eligible TE’s Sample is #1 in pass blocking and as a bonus he’s 33/110 in run blocking.

So he’s having a good bounceback season once you factor in he’s not here to catch passes but his only real purpose is to block.

Still not happy about getting a glorified lineman at TE in the second round but being the best pass blocking TE in the league when many of us wanted Darnell Washington is definitely a plus.

The rub is, they only played him on 17 offensive snaps vs the Titans.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:22 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Well you will get your wish because Smith is always injured and that has continued already in his first year with the Bengals.

Thankfully he only signed a one year deal.

i remember asking myself how a replacement that never is on the field helps us when we signed him
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:30 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The rub is, they only played him on 17 offensive snaps vs the Titans.

And a few of those were as a pass blocking running back. If the Bengals used more 12 personnel I wouldn't mind more snaps for Drew Sample but they run a very dominant 11 personnel system the TE needs to be more effective in the passing game for the offense to be consistently successful.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:05 AM)Housh Wrote: This is from a Twitter user named Willie Lutz. Saw the post and didn’t see one on here.

While it's good what Sample is doing as a blocker, I think it's important to put that into context.

The TE with the most pass blocking snaps is Bellinger - 26.
Sample's pass blocking snaps? 12, which is tied for 21st among TEs

Sample is also only 58th on run blocking snaps, but he does have a respectable 61.5 RB grade.

Sample's big deficit is what it's been his whole career - receiving.
He's 60th among qualified TEs, with a score of 47.3
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 10:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: While it's good what Sample is doing as a blocker, I think it's important to put that into context.

The TE with the most pass blocking snaps is Bellinger - 26.
Sample's pass blocking snaps? 12, which is tied for 21st among TEs

Sample is also only 58th on run blocking snaps, but he does have a respectable 61.5 RB grade.

Sample's big deficit is what it's been his whole career - receiving.
He's 60th among qualified TEs, with a score of 47.3

So you're saying it's a small sample size? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

yes thats what all successful teams do, they draft a one dimensional Blocking TE in 2nd rd 
Had he gone in the 6th or 7th, Id actually say good pick
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 11:13 AM)kalibengal Wrote: yes thats what all successful teams do, they draft a one dimensional Blocking TE in 2nd rd 
Had he gone in the 6th or 7th, Id actually say good pick

At this point, we need to stop caring about the 2nd round pick thing.
He's now on a veteran contract, and it's extremely cheap and appropriate for him - 1 year, $1.1 mill
We should be more frustrated with the player who was brought in to be the TE1. Granted it was also only a 1-year deal and just $1.75 mill, but this is what we get for investing so little into the position.
An oft-injured TE coming in has already had durability issues and produced very little in the games he has played in.

I'm hoping this ding of Smith's is just a couple games and he'll stay healthy the rest of the year once he's back and will come along enough to be more effective than 14 yards a game.
If not, may be worth having Hudson called up and give him more opportunity. Or make Mitchell Wilcox the TE1 if not wanting to give Hudson a permanent roster spot.

As a whole, I'm definitely disappointed in the TE performance this year so far.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Does it annoy anyone else that we have to have him in the backfield to block because apparently none of our RBs can pass block well? The defense has to know that we are not handing the ball off to him, nor will be checkdown to him so they have no threat to worry about. Brown I was hoping could be that guy, but he must not be there yet as a rookie. Evans not being able to do it is disappointing as well. I feel like they should have done more to replace Perine or just have Mixon stay back and chip block and release on a route. At least then the defense will have to take him into account.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
The coaching staff missed Trae Waynes so much they brought him back to be TE1
Reply/Quote
The 3rd and 10 pass play where Sample caught the ball behind the line and we lost a yard.. Zac deserved to get punched in the nuts for calling that.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 08:32 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The 3rd and 10 pass play where Sample caught the ball behind the line and we lost a yard.. Zac deserved to get punched in the nuts for calling that.

Sample was lined up at RB for that catch. He did a check release to a swing pass. Last year that would have been Perine.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 08:32 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The 3rd and 10 pass play where Sample caught the ball behind the line and we lost a yard.. Zac deserved to get punched in the nuts for calling that.

You gotta have at least one check tho but you are right it should absolutely not be Sample. If you know there’s a good chance Burrow will quick throw it you gotta put Mixon or Brown there.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 12:26 PM)Garrus Wrote: Does it annoy anyone else that we have to have him in the backfield to block because apparently none of our RBs can pass block well? The defense has to know that we are not handing the ball off to him, nor will be checkdown to him so they have no threat to worry about. Brown I was hoping could be that guy, but he must not be there yet as a rookie. Evans not being able to do it is disappointing as well. I feel like they should have done more to replace Perine or just have Mixon stay back and chip block and release on a route. At least then the defense will have to take him into account.

I saw Mixon with a few good blitz pickups but it was all around a bad day for him. But i think he’s gotten better. I haven’t seen any MIND BLOWING misses on who he should block. He’s at least targeting the right guy now….just can’t stop him

It’s a bit more discouraging when you see other backs BULLDOZING blitzers. Forget who it was but i saw a 49ers game and SOMEONE just DEADED a blitzer stone cold in his tracks. I got aroused off that
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 09:04 PM)Housh Wrote: I saw Mixon with a few good blitz pickups but it was all around a bad day for him. But i think he’s gotten better. I haven’t seen any MIND BLOWING misses on who he should block. He’s at least targeting the right guy now….just can’t stop him

It’s a bit more discouraging when you see other blacks BULLDOZING blitzers. Forget who it was but i saw a 49ers game and SOMEONE just DEADED a blitzer stone cold in his tracks. I got aroused off that

Someone may wanna edit the bolded... Shocked
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 09:04 PM)Housh Wrote: I saw Mixon with a few good blitz pickups but it was all around a bad day for him. But i think he’s gotten better. I haven’t seen any MIND BLOWING misses on who he should block. He’s at least targeting the right guy now….just can’t stop him

It’s a bit more discouraging when you see other blacks BULLDOZING blitzers. Forget who it was but i saw a 49ers game and SOMEONE just DEADED a blitzer stone cold in his tracks. I got aroused off that

To be fair, some whites can bulldoze blitzers as well. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
At this point he isn't even on his rookie deal anymore hes simply a player on a 1.2 million dollar contract. Good value. Not gonna hold his draft position over his head he was a bust as a 2nd round pick and now hes a valuable player based on his contract. We need all the blocking we can get with Burrow on 1 leg.

Cigar
Reply/Quote