Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Drew Sample is PFF’s #1 graded pass blocking TE
(10-08-2023, 12:05 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Pass blocking TE are useless if you can't score. Give me a catching TE like Hurst or the previous one. Move the chains!! Get those 1st downs. SCORE!

Pass blocking TE’s are golden with protecting Burrow when you have our WR trio and a sure catch Mixon who’s annually a top 10 PFF receiver.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2023, 03:25 PM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: This.  Ryan Hewitt was a fan favorite.

Okay for fans to bash Bengals for using a 2nd round pick on Sample, but don't bash him as a player..

I dont think anyone dislikes Sample or the Bengals drafting him.  What has always been said about Sample is the Bengals should have never used a 2nd round pick to get him.  Its not Sample fans dislike its using the 2nd round pick to get him.
Reply/Quote
A majority of Sample's pass block reps this year have been at RB so calling him the best pass blocking TE is a bit of a misnomer. Also if Sample continues to be the 3rd down running back he has to continue to stack receiving preformances like he did against Buffalo.

Everyone always talks about getting a Fullback but the Third Down Running Back is like the modern day version of the fullback. They have to be able to Run Catch and Block. Samaje Perine is the perfect example of the modern day fullback. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 11:04 AM)Synric Wrote: A majority of Sample's pass block reps this year have been at RB so calling him the best pass blocking TE is a bit of a misnomer. Also if Sample continues to be the 3rd down running back he has to continue to stack receiving preformances like he did against Buffalo.

Everyone always talks about getting a Fullback but the Third Down Running Back is like the modern day version of the fullback. They have to be able to Run Catch and Block. Samaje Perine is the perfect example of the modern day fullback. 

I’d like to see them line Chase and Sample up in the backfield with Burrow as a split back look out of shotgun. That gives us a threat of a run with Sample as lead blocker for Chase but also gives us flexibility to keep Sample in to block and get Chase a free release from a spot that’s hard to double. Imagine Chase running a Texas route out of the backfield…that’s a nightmare.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 11:09 AM)Au165 Wrote: I’d like to see them line Chase and Sample up in the backfield with Burrow as a split back look out of shotgun. That gives us a threat of a run with Sample as lead blocker for Chase but also gives us flexibility to keep Sample in to block and get Chase a free release from a spot that’s hard to double. Imagine Chase running a Texas route out of the backfield…that’s a nightmare.

I want nothing to do with any play that starts with Chase getting the ball at the LOS. It's never been a strong suit of his even during his great college season. 

As to Drew: Of course he was taken too early, but there's only 1 TE in that draft taken after him (Knox) that I'd rather have.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 01:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I want nothing to do with any play that starts with Chase getting the ball at the LOS. It's never been a strong suit of his even during his great college season. 

As to Drew: Of course he was taken too early, but there's only 1 TE in that draft taken after him (Knox) that I'd rather have.

Those garbage plays must be working in practice or something lol
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 11:04 AM)Synric Wrote: A majority of Sample's pass block reps this year have been at RB so calling him the best pass blocking TE is a bit of a misnomer.

This.

Almost every team in the league has a guy like Sample.  Combination H-back/FB/TE.  Eligible receiver that is basically there to block.  Most of these guys will play 30-40% of the snaps, but still just catch a handful of passes for the season. 

Steelers used a third round pick on Darnel Washington this year.  He has played 45% of their offensive snaps but only has 2 receptions on 4 targets.
Reply/Quote