Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Drew Sample is a Bum
(11-30-2020, 06:28 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: What's his pass and run block scores (for those that have PFF premium)? I thought I seen on twitter that he was ranked top 10 in both those categories.

I don’t have access to them, but his overall grade is 57.4. That’s pretty bad, and doesn’t really fit with the “but we have tons of players that are way worse” I’ve seen several times in this thread. I mean, is he better than Billy Price and Michael Jordan? Sure. But that’s an awful low bar.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 09:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t have access to them, but his overall grade is 57.4. That’s pretty bad, and doesn’t really fit with the “but we have tons of players that are way worse” I’ve seen several times in this thread. I mean, is he better than Billy Price and Michael Jordan? Sure. But that’s an awful low bar.

Tbf, I don't put a ton of emphasis on PFF scores, but I do find it interesting. 

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:10 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Tbf, I don't put a ton of emphasis on PFF scores, but I do find it interesting. 

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So again this points to idiotic coaching. He is good at blocking, but is top 5 in routes run. We can’t stop a pass rush for the life of us. Leave this guy in there to block....

This season shouldn’t have been so ugly IMO. A good coach would’ve figured it out.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:10 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Tbf, I don't put a ton of emphasis on PFF scores, but I do find it interesting. 

47th out 50 sounds about right. And is a far cry from this nonsense about Sample being comparable to Burrow wrt their peers.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:53 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So again this points to idiotic coaching. He is good at blocking, but is top 5 in routes run. We can’t stop a pass rush for the life of us. Leave this guy in there to block....

This season shouldn’t have been so ugly IMO. A good coach would’ve figured it out.

No doubt in my mind we have at least a few more wins with better coaching.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Only 20 teams have a TE with more receptions than Sample.

Among the 23 TEs with at least 25 receptions Sample's catch % ranks 9th and his yds/target ranks 15th.   

These are not great numbers, but nothing close to "bum" status.  And if you want to complain about lack of TD receptions maybe look at the fact that the Bengals rank 26th in TD passes.  Through the first ten games of the season Burrow ranked 23rd in td passes, but not one person ever complained about that.

Why are people so obsessed with shitting on this guy?  And please don't mention some other player they could have taken if they had 20/20 hindsight like all of you.  If Metcalf was such a "can't miss" prospect them why did every other team in the league pass on him twice?

Only? lol

That's 63% of the league! You can't use "only" and 63% together. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:51 AM)Au165 Wrote: Sample was our 2nd leading receiver yesterday...what a weird time to bring this up.

When 2nd = 4 for 40, that's nothing to brag about. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
He was over drafted the real bum is Duke.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Through the first ten games of the season Burrow ranked 23rd in td passes, but not one person ever complained about that.

(11-30-2020, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Joe Burrow is second in the league in fumbles by a QB.

So does fumbling make a player a bum or not?

Rookie. 

It's pretty obvious to a massive percentage of people who have watched, that Burrow is going to be very good. His positive to negative play ratio is pretty ridiculously weighted to positive. 

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:21 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote:  You can't use "only" and 63% together. 

I can if I feel like more than a third of the teams have nothing but "bums" for TEs.

That is the problem I have with this thread.  I not one of those guys who needs to use the word "bum" to describe middle of the pack starters.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:26 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote:  His positive to negative play ratio is pretty ridiculously weighted to positive. 

This is not true.  If it was then he would be ranked higher than 23rd in the league and we would have more than 2 wins.

Some people here consider a 23rd ranking to be "bum" territory.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is not true.  If it was then he would be ranked higher than 23rd in the league and we would have more than 2 wins.

Some people here consider a 23rd ranking to be "bum" territory.

I'm going to ask you a question that I've kinda wondered for a long time:  Are you able to actually watch the games?

It may sound like I'm saying this to be a dick, but honest to God I'm not.  I'm generally curious.I know you live in Tennessee, and it seems you never show up to Gameday threads, or comment about specific plays after the game.

Again, are you actually watching these games?  Because it would help explain a lot of your stances, and the fact you seem so obssessed with stats.

Anyone who is watching can tell you, that depsite the statistics, Joe Burrow and Drew Sample have performed completely different.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 47th out 50 sounds about right.

Only to people who think Andy Dalton was better in 2018 than 2015.

Hilarious

I don't know how they came up with just 50 qualified TEs, but since 49 TEs have at least 17 targets I will use that group.  Among those 49 Sample ranks

21st in catch%
23rd in receptions
23rd in targets
29th in yards
29th yds/target
37th in ypc
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:26 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Rookie. 

It's pretty obvious to a massive percentage of people who have watched, that Burrow is going to be very good. His positive to negative play ratio is pretty ridiculously weighted to positive. 

And Sample’s the opposite. His big plays are getting punked out of a TD, fumbling, etc. At least John Ross gave you TD’s to go along with all the bad stuff...

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I can if I feel like more than a third of the teams have nothing but "bums" for TEs.

That is the problem I have with this thread.  I not one of those guys who needs to use the word "bum" to describe middle of the pack starters.

He’s not middle of the pack though. He’s a below average TE when you factor in his ability (or lack of) as a receiving threat. Uzomah is closer to middle of the pack, and that’s why he was ahead of Sample on the depth chart.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:47 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm going to ask you a question that I've kinda wondered for a long time:  Are you able to actually watch the games?

It may sound like I'm saying this to be a dick, but honest to God I'm not.  I'm generally curious.I know you live in Tennessee, and it seems you never show up to Gameday threads, or comment about specific plays after the game.

Again, are you actually watching these games?  Because it would help explain a lot of your stances, and the fact you seem so obssessed with stats.

Anyone who is watching can tell you, that depsite the statistics, Joe Burrow and Drew Sample have performed completely different.

I'm going to ask you a question that I've kinda wondered for a long time:  Are you able to actually able to read?

It may sound like I'm saying this to be a dick, but honest to God I'm not.  I'm generally curious.

Again, are you actually able to read?  Because it would help explain a lot of your stances, and the fact you seem so obsessed with ignoring what I actually write and instead make up straw man arguments to attack me.

Anyone who can read will tell you that I said this in this very thread

(11-30-2020, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I constantly talk about how much I like Burrow and love his potential.

I am in no way claiming Sample is as good of a player as Burrow.  I am just posting these numbers to show how crazy the radical extremists are around here.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s not middle of the pack though. He’s a below average TE when you factor in his ability (or lack of) as a receiving threat. 

Half of the guys in the middle of the pack are below average, but that is JUST HIS RECEIVING ABILITY.

When you factor in his blocking he is above average,
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I'm going to ask you a question that I've kinda wondered for a long time:  Are you able to actually able to read?

It may sound like I'm saying this to be a dick, but honest to God I'm not.  I'm generally curious.

Again, are you actually able to read?  Because it would help explain a lot of your stances, and the fact you seem so obsessed with ignoring what I actually write and instead make up straw man arguments to attack me.

It was an absolutely terrible take. You should probably just own it and move on. But I know you won’t lol

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Half of the guys in the middle of the pack are below average, but that is JUST HIS RECEIVING ABILITY.

When you factor in his blocking he is above average,

It’s 2020. TE’s need to be a receiving threats now. Especially if you’re a team with a nonexistent running game, and only 2 good WR’s.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I'm going to ask you a question that I've kinda wondered for a long time:  Are you able to actually able to read?

Was your quote supposed to answer my question?

In it's simpliest form:  Do you, Fred Toast, watch all of the Bengals games?

A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

Reply/Quote