Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drew Sample signs 1 Year Contract
Sample is probably better than Wilcox/Asiasi.

Now we do not have to take 2 TEs. We COULD, but we don't have to. We kept 3 at the start last year but it might have been 4 for a week or two.

Draft pick for TE1 (Day 1 or 2). Irv Smith TE2. Sample/Asiasi/Day 3 TE pick for TE3. Wilcox + Sample/Asiasi loser we probably try to put on the PS.

Have to see the details, I know Asiasi has zero dead cap.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:51 PM)pally Wrote: Interesting that this move came just a couple of days after Drew visited the Cardinals

He was probably trying to get more money than the Bengals were offering from another Team and since we are the only Team he's played for, he might have that "grass is greener" on the other side mentality, but after visiting Az, probably said Eff that, I'm going back to Cincy.. Ninja 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 10:02 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I wanted Sample back. Never turned into the sneaky good catcher that one of the homer writers said he could be, but he's a good blocking Tight End right?

When he was drafted, some of the highlights showed several catches that were 15-25 yards down field, but they were all plays where he was pretty much wide open. I had hoped that he shook a LB or Safety on those plays, but, as the years have gone by, I realize that those highlights were much more 'blown coverage' and less 'elusive TE'. 

Almost every catch that he's had as a Bengal has been contested by a defender. I'm not saying that he is good at going up and battling for the ball in the air. I'm saying that he can't get open. Drew Sample trying to get open on pass routes in the NFL often looks like a practice squad d-lineman that can't shed a block. His man is going to be stuck to him from snap to whistle.

BUT, he does know the playbook, like Sunset stated above, and would be a fine #3 or #4 TE.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 05:00 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Sweet. Now that they've got a blocking TE they won't have to reach for another one like Darnell Washington in the 1st.

Reach? That is one of the silliest things I have heard. Washington is an outstanding talent and while being the best blocking TE in the draft he is also a freak athlete and a natural pass catcher. The kid has not even realized how big a threat he can be for an offense. Taking this young man at #28 is not a reach for a player who's concensus ranking is #30.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 01:32 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: He was probably trying to get more money than the Bengals were offering from another Team and since we are the only Team he's played for, he might have that "grass is greener" on the other side mentality, but after visiting Az, probably said Eff that, I'm going back to Cincy.. Ninja 

I think something like you said.I’m sure they’ve offered him a contract and he wasn’t happy.I bet They encouraged him to test the market and see what he can get for his family. The Bengals handle relationships as well as any team. Doesn’t sound like he got a lot of looks. The front office wisely is not tying up money after this season as they navigate the big salaries forthcoming. But I’m different than others. I still think they will draft a TE in round 1 or 2. They have Smith and Sample on 1 year deals.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 07:54 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: When he was drafted, some of the highlights showed several catches that were 15-25 yards down field, but they were all plays where he was pretty much wide open. I had hoped that he shook a LB or Safety on those plays, but, as the years have gone by, I realize that those highlights were much more 'blown coverage' and less 'elusive TE'. 

Not blown coverage Play action releases. Sample got plenty of opportunities in college running into empty zones in play action. You see similar from Darnell Washington and Tucker Kraft which is what makes their projection to receiver hard. Neither of those guys get enough reps just lined up running routes against man coverage. The Bengals also run less play action than most of the NFL so those reps are in short supply in the Bengals offense. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:43 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Why!? Deep draft at TE. Not too many runs on TEs happened in many drafts.

I certainly hope that this doesnt indicate that we could still go TE high...Sample is just a camp body
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Not a bad move. Totally frees up the draft with Smith and Sample...but both only 1 year deals.

Good. Wilcox could still be resigned also.  There is still Brandon Allen and 3 DB's that top the list of Bengals they could resign and have in 2023. 

As for The Draft, Bengals have lost a lot of DB's, especially if they don't resign any of the 3 DB's they could still resign.  So DB is going to be a huge Needs position in the draft, and it could very well be that the Best Available Athlete when Bengals finally pick is a DB. With Bengals playing 5 or 6 DB's a lot, they better have players to take the field and depth on the bench.  A top Pick DB might be a good replacement for Bates as far as the combo of Youth and Talent. 

Sample can flat out Block. Needs to catch more, but on Blocking he is a Kittle type, Sample can Block.  If he ever gets rid of the drops, and catches more, he would be a good TE. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I remember FredToast defending Sample
At every turn. One of Zac Taylors worst
Picks. What little contributions Sample
Brings to the offense you can find
In a late RD pick. The fact that there
Was no interest around the league in Sample
Says enough
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 09:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That's like saying we shouldn't consider Wright or Forbes because we signed Cody Ford and Sidney Jones. Rolleyes

Not quite that dramatic. They closed off the last hole with Sample signed. I hope their BPA is on defense and not a TE or RB. Drafting at the bottom doesn’t give need a very high ranking.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 07:30 PM)kevin Wrote: Good. Wilcox could still be resigned also.  There is still Brandon Allen and 3 DB's that top the list of Bengals they could resign and have in 2023. 

As for The Draft, Bengals have lost a lot of DB's, especially if they don't resign any of the 3 DB's they could still resign.  So DB is going to be a huge Needs position in the draft, and it could very well be that the Best Available Athlete when Bengals finally pick is a DB. With Bengals playing 5 or 6 DB's a lot, they better have players to take the field and depth on the bench.  A top Pick DB might be a good replacement for Bates as far as the combo of Youth and Talent. 

Sample can flat out Block. Needs to catch more, but on Blocking he is a Kittle type, Sample can Block.  If he ever gets rid of the drops, and catches more, he would be a good TE. 

This. There is a lot more uncertainty in the safety and CB than TE at this point. I believe DB is a position to be concerned about in the draft. One can get a reasonable TE or RB in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Harder to find a DB that fits with how Lou uses them. Might want to prioritize that at the 28 position if a good one is still available. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2023, 09:48 PM)Nepa Wrote: This. There is a lot more uncertainty in the safety and CB than TE at this point. I believe DB is a position to be concerned about in the draft. One can get a reasonable TE or RB in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Harder to find a DB that fits with how Lou uses them. Might want to prioritize that at the 28 position if a good one is still available. 

Yes. And having inexperience safeties can expose your CB's.

Not sold on Scott or Hill. Could they both exceed expectations? Yes. But, it's far from a sure thing.

And CB, Chide may not be close to 100%. CTB flashed at times last year when playing so I liked that. I have no clue if he's starting quality. Hilton is a good slot CB.

It is what it is.

TE isn't an issue because we have great WR's.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 02:12 PM)pally Wrote:

Cheap. Not bad for a blocking te.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:43 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Why!? Deep draft at TE. Not too many runs on TEs happened in many drafts.

The vast majority of TE's take a year or two to become productive.  Did you really want Irv to be our only vet? 

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 09:30 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Reach? That is one of the silliest things I have heard. Washington is an outstanding talent and while being the best blocking TE in the draft he is also a freak athlete and a natural pass catcher. The kid has not even realized how big a threat he can be for an offense. Taking this young man at #28 is not a reach for a player who's concensus ranking is #30.

Washington is not good value at #28, IMO.  He is a block only TE today.  He is a freak athlete only in shorts unless he is blocking, he does ok with the ball in his hands.  He has no route tree and when he does go out for passes he runs like Frankenstein. He is not smooth whatsoever.  I'd like to have him for his blocking and to watch his development, but Im not for drafting a project in the 1st Rd.

I would be surprised if he is taken in the 1st Rd.

Reply/Quote
The team has more holes than people realize and more free agents going to leave after next year. They won't burn a 1st on a TE.
Reply/Quote