Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drew Sample signs 1 Year Contract
Worth keeping around as long as he isn’t making much more than $1 mil this year. Shouldn’t be a starter but is a decent depth piece.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 05:00 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Sweet. Now that they've got a blocking TE they won't have to reach for another one like Darnell Washington in the 1st.

Come on.
Let's not act like Washington is on the same level of gamble as Sample.

Washington put up nearly the amount of yards in just this past season that Sample had across 4 years in college.
Washington is faster, more agile, and more explosive than Sample, all while being about 10 lbs heavier.
Washington's YPC in college was 17.2. Sample's was a measly 10.6.

The rule of thumb (I thought) was to expect about a 2-3 yard drop off in YPC in the NFL compared to college.
Kelce: 14.8 -> 12.7
Kittle: 15.4 -> 13.3
Sample: 10.6 -> 7.9
Hurst: 12.8 -> 9.7

While it's extremely unlikely Washington would be able to have 14+ YPC, I think he'll be a 10+ YPC guy in the NFL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 05:35 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This is a good signing. You should never go into a draft with a position that you must draft to even fill out the depth chart.

Yep, and they don't need to teach him much of anything, other than new wrinkles to the offense.  As soon as he's healthy, plug and play.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:50 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: He’s a 2nd rounder with lots of potential

Stop it lol
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Was gonna say idk if he makes roster but we kept 4 TEs last year didn’t we?

Plug him in the Mitchell Wilcox role if we draft a TE at 28
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I have no problem with him being the #3 TE on a veteran minimum contract, he is better than Asiasi and this allows us to bring in a solid #2 in the draft.

1) Irv Smith- hoping he stays healthy

2) Josh Whyle-5th rd this is where I see us addressing the TE spot

3) Drew Sample- actually not a bad #3
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 06:44 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I have no problem with him being the #3 TE on a veteran minimum contract, he is better than Asiasi and this allows us to bring in a solid #2 in the draft.

I agree let Sample battle it out with Asiasi for TE3.
Bring in one TE to take that TE2 spot for this year with a plan to bump that draft pick into the TE1 spot if Irv Smith doesn't show enough this year to warrant re-signing and keeping that role.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 06:44 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I have no problem with him being the #3 TE on a veteran minimum contract, he is better than Asiasi and this allows us to bring in a solid #2 in the draft.

A 5th Round pick won't be ahead of Sample this year unless there's an injury.

Honestly, if 2 of your 7 draft picks are in the rotation Year 1...you did well.
Reply/Quote
Thank God! This is the signing I have been waiting for! I have been on tenterhooks -- tenterhooks, I tell you -- since the news broke that our Drew was being courted by the Cardinals.

The Super Bowl is ours.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Not a bad move. Totally frees up the draft with Smith and Sample...but both only 1 year deals.

Makes a lot of sense. Now no glaring holes anywhere prior to draft. I just couldn’t see a TE at 28, not with the puny pass rush or Awuzie’s injury.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 06:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, and they don't need to teach him much of anything, other than new wrinkles to the offense.  As soon as he's healthy, plug and play.

Great point.

People forget that tight ends are one of the slowest positions in terms of development for young players.

Makes a lot of sense to sign two vets on the cheap (as the bengals did).

Now the draft is open and we only need to draft 1, but could draft more.

It’s incredibly hard to rely on any rookie tight end being involved heavily as a rookie.

It’d be rolling the dice to rely on a couple rookie tight ends to come in and win matchups with any consistency in their rookie year.

This allows us not to have to push a rookie in too soon.

Running back—on the other hand… there’s a position where you can draft a solid running back and plug/play them (as a rookie) with a decently high probability of success.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 09:04 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Makes a lot of sense. Now no glaring holes anywhere prior to draft. I just couldn’t see a TE at 28, not with the puny pass rush or Awuzie’s injury.

That's like saying we shouldn't consider Wright or Forbes because we signed Cody Ford and Sidney Jones. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/JUBIU0gkWfs

Reply/Quote
I wanted Sample back. Never turned into the sneaky good catcher that one of the homer writers said he could be, but he's a good blocking Tight End right?

Either way all these guys on cheaper one year deals gives us flexibility to not be forced to draft heavy at TE, but necessarily doesn't preclude the possibility of it still happening if the right players fall to the right spots I suppose.

I do think they may be trying to avoid feeling like they NEED to take one with their first pick though.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 09:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That's like saying we shouldn't consider Wright or Forbes because we signed Cody Ford and Sidney Jones. Rolleyes

I think it's less not taking a Tight End and more insurance so we don't feel compelled or forced to take a TE in the first if the right person is not there for the taking.
Reply/Quote
They will most likely draft a TE.They probably got Sample on a cheap 1 yr. deal.Likely be competing with ASIASI.The deal is likely structured so they can cut him without any problems.He’s likely just insurance at this point.

I’d love to see the Bengals take a really good TE with pick 28,if one of the top 5 are still on the board.Like maybe Luke Musgrave, or Darnell Washington.
Reply/Quote
3rd string second round tight end

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 10:02 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I wanted Sample back. Never turned into the sneaky good catcher that one of the homer writers said he could be, but he's a good blocking Tight End right?

Either way all these guys on cheaper one year deals gives us flexibility to not be forced to draft heavy at TE, but necessarily doesn't preclude the possibility of it still happening if the right players fall to the right spots I suppose.

I do think they may be trying to avoid feeling like they NEED to take one with their first pick though.

It’ll allow them to be able to draft the BPA at several positions ( TE,RT,CB)
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 05:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As long as it wasn't for much loot.

Trading Joe for Andy so they can pay Drew...No doubt.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Welcome to the Bengals Dalton Kincaid
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote