Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drew Sample signs 1 Year Contract
Not a bad move. Totally frees up the draft with Smith and Sample...but both only 1 year deals.

Reply/Quote
Why!? Deep draft at TE. Not too many runs on TEs happened in many drafts.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:43 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Why!? Deep draft at TE. Not too many runs on TEs happened in many drafts.

So they don't have to take two. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:44 PM)Synric Wrote: So they don't have to take two. 

Yeah, they still can and have a great competition, but you don't want to HAVE to take 2 TE's in any Draft.

Good move in signing Drew to a 1 year deal, he is a good blocker. Just don't have him blocking a team's Edge is all.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:43 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Why!? Deep draft at TE. Not too many runs on TEs happened in many drafts.

Depth.

This tight end class isn't as good as was advertised 
Reply/Quote
He’s a 2nd rounder with lots of potential

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Interesting that this move came just a couple of days after Drew visited the Cardinals

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Not upset at this. Knows the system and is decent depth for our Y TE. Irv Smith is a move TE so we needed another Y. He can at least block pretty well.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
This TE class isn't as good as advertised? Have they put on pads already? Has what's been advertised been tested?

Sample is fine to return. Hopefully his spot isn't guaranteed and if he makes the 53, he's one of the best 3 TE's on the team.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Ugh.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: This TE class isn't as good as advertised? Have they put on pads already? Has what's been advertised been tested?

Sample is fine to return. Hopefully his spot isn't guaranteed and if he makes the 53, he's one of the best 3 TE's on the team.

I hope they bring back Wilcox too and draft a couple TE's, I highly doubt Sample wins a spot if this happens. 

It is good to have the TE room not completely bare before the draft though.
Reply/Quote
Sweet. Now that they've got a blocking TE they won't have to reach for another one like Darnell Washington in the 1st.
Reply/Quote
I wonder where he is health wise. He was in a YouTube video not long ago and he seemed like he still had a pretty long road to travel. It had basically made me give up on the thought of putting him on our roster considering we only had 1 TE at the time. Idk maybe once he started working out the recovery really started to speed up.
Reply/Quote
As long as it wasn't for much loot.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I like Wilcox better than Sample. Not a bad move for the draft though. I am liking a CB or Tackle in that 28 spot now. I like the TE out of U of Cincinnati later.
Reply/Quote
This is a good signing. You should never go into a draft with a position that you must draft to even fill out the depth chart.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 05:34 PM)Danimal Wrote: I like Wilcox better than Sample. Not a bad move for the draft though. I am liking a CB or Tackle in that 28 spot now. I like the TE out of U of Cincinnati later.

Yeah, I like Wilcox better myself.

I just did a Mock with us drafting Darnell Wright RT, Clark Phillips CB Utah and Josh Whyle TE... Wink
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Not a bad move. Totally frees up the draft with Smith and Sample...but both only 1 year deals.

Agreed.  People will whine because Sample isn't an elite pass-catcher, but he is a solid blocker and you need one of those if you want Irv Smith to be more of a receiver.  This also frees up the Bengals to draft a Kinkaid-type TE as opposed to only taking a more complete TE like Maher.  

Welcome back, Drew.  Here's to you having your best season.  
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ugh.

Yah. What I was thinking.
Reply/Quote

They will still draft a TE....maybe even two.  This doesn't prevent that at all.  

It does allow them to perhaps go with a more one-dimensional TE that is less of a blocker as Sample would be more of the in-line TE.  

It also makes a lot of sense to spend your draft picks on position groups that have premium second contracts:  OT, DE, CB, WR.  Tight ends aren't really breaking the bank on the second contract unless your name is Travis Kelce.  
Reply/Quote