Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duane Brown
(10-09-2017, 11:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We might be able to get him for a later pick at this point from that side.

IF we did add him, then we wouldn't have to draft a Tackle early. The free agent Tackle market isn't great either.

I can't see Houston taking anything less than a high pick (1st or 2nd minimum) given how elite LTs are the second (albeit a very distant second) most important piece to an NFL roster. Essentially caving to a player that has multiple years left on his contract is a really bad precedent to set for a franchise. Players like Watt, Mercilus, Clowney and others on that team would gain all sorts of leverage when it comes time to re-up their contracts. 

Given that Brown has already come out and said that he's not sitting out the year, the Texans stand to gain more by holding their ground unless they can get high compensation for him. 

Again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd even have to think hard if the asking price were a 1st rounder. There are two things in my mind (besides coaching) that would put this Bengals team over the hump: Having an elite quarterback that can compensate for a bad O-line, and having a better O-line. I'm not holding my breath over Aaron Rodgers suddenly becoming available, so I'd take a long look at Duane Brown. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Depends on how they view Boyd. Boyd wasn't exactly viewed as a chump coming out of college. He was a 2nd round pick for pete's sake. For all you know the Texans could've had him really high on their board. Maybe they need a slot guy. Even if they don't want Boyd, I did mention dealing them a CB and I wouldn't mind throwing in a pick, or even making a high pick a featured part of the deal. 

So who would you trade for Brown...or is this your roundabout way of suggesting our line is fine?

A 3rd and a 5th might get it done. Maybe a 2nd and a 5th if they give back a 3rd
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:06 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: A 3rd and a 5th might get it done.  Maybe a 2nd and a 5th if they give back a 3rd

I'd be reluctant to part with a 1st, but a 2nd and a 4th would be fine by me. 

Also wouldn't mind parting with any of Boyd, WJax or Dennard as a featured part of a trade.

Heck, the more I think about it, the more I'm okay with a 1st. They seem to have a 50% success rate with us anyway.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:04 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I can't see Houston taking anything less than a high pick (1st or 2nd minimum) given how elite LTs are the second (albeit a very distant second) most important piece to an NFL roster. Essentially caving to a player that has multiple years left on his contract is a really bad precedent to set for a franchise. Players like Watt, Mercilus, Clowney and others on that team would gain all sorts of leverage when it comes time to re-up their contracts. 

Given that Brown has already come out and said that he's not sitting out the year, the Texans stand to gain more by holding their ground unless they can get high compensation for him. 

Again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd even have to think hard if the asking price were a 1st rounder. There are two things in my mind (besides coaching) that would put this Bengals team over the hump: Having an elite quarterback that can compensate for a bad O-line, and having a better O-line. I'm not holding my breath over Aaron Rodgers suddenly becoming available, so I'd take a long look at Duane Brown. 

I doubt that anyone would give a 1st for a 32 year old LT demanding too dollar
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd be reluctant to part with a 1st, but a 2nd and a 4th would be fine by me. 

Also wouldn't mind parting with any of Boyd, WJax or Dennard as a featured part of a trade.

Too soon for Jackson, he could be a stud. I'd get rid of Dennard, Boyd, and a 3rd
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Depends on how they view Boyd. Boyd wasn't exactly viewed as a chump coming out of college. He was a 2nd round pick for pete's sake. For all you know the Texans could've had him really high on their board. Maybe they need a slot guy. Even if they don't want Boyd, I did mention dealing them a CB and I wouldn't mind throwing in a pick, or even making a high pick a featured part of the deal. 

So who would you trade for Brown...or is this your roundabout way of suggesting our line is fine?

Of course the Oline is not fine. As I said they would most likely want something along their Dline in a way to compensate for losing Watt. Perhaps they would consider Dunlap as a player swap. Duane Brown is one of the premiere LTs in the league.

Personally I would not give up any player on Brown's level; however, I would give a 2018 1st rounder for the guy. This team is that close. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd be reluctant to part with a 1st, but a 2nd and a 4th would be fine by me. 

Heck, the more I think about it, the more I'm okay with a 1st. They seem to have a 50% success rate with us anyway.

Keep Boyd and trade LaFell to give the Bengals a good chunk of $$ to sign Brown to that new deal.
Then some of the fans can also get their wish and see Core step in as the outside WR opposite of AJ.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course the Oline is not fine. As I said they would most likely want something along their Dline in a way to compensate for losing Watt. Perhaps they would consider Dunlap as a player swap. Duane Brown is one of the premiere LTs in the league.

Personally I would not give up any player on Brown's level; however, I would give a 2018 1st rounder for the guy. This team is that close. 

Dunlap would be a no go. That guy needs to retire a Bengal and then be inducted into our imaginary HOF.

1st rounder is something I've talked myself into. I think their value is often overstated. Either way, I agree we're close. Andre at RT and Brown at LT would at least take care of our tackle spots for a couple years at least.

(10-09-2017, 12:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Keep Boyd and trade LaFell to give the Bengals a good chunk of $$ to sign Brown to that new deal.
Then some of the fans can also get their wish and see Core step in as the outside WR opposite of AJ.

LaFell isn't getting it done. I wouldn't even insult them that way.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Keep Boyd and trade LaFell to give the Bengals a good chunk of $$ to sign Brown to that new deal.

Why would they want lafell? At best he would be their 3rd best WR. Plus he is more expensive and he is what he is at this point, a reliable vet. Boyd still has "potential"
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The question becomes compensation. Houston probably wants a 1st Rd pick at a minimum. Do you give that for a 32 year old disgruntled LT? Folks will say "trade Hill" but Houston is all set at RB. They might go for a Geno swap now that Watt is down; do we do that?

You don't trade Geno for anyone, period. I know some people have this fantasy trade clause in their heads that every team should accept any trade, any time and be willing to trade the moon, stars and the sun just because, but it doesn't really work that way. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:09 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I doubt that anyone would give a 1st for a 32 year old LT demanding too dollar

I agree, but that's going to be the asking price. 

LT is a very valuable position, and Brown is one of the best. Houston has to be thinking that if they can get a first for him they essentially traded Brown for Watson, which by the looks of it would very much be a net positive. If they can't, they risk looking like a very weak front office. If the asking price/price they'd take was a 2nd, Brown would already be lacing up in Seattle. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course the Oline is not fine. As I said they would most likely want something along their Dline in a way to compensate for losing Watt. Perhaps they would consider Dunlap as a player swap. Duane Brown is one of the premiere LTs in the league.

The more I think about it, the more I'm in line with this thinking. Get him, give him one of those 4 year contracts that is essentially a 2/3 year contract, reevaluate when he is Whitworth's age when we let him walk. 

The AFCN is in a down year, and might be down for the next 2-3 years. And this team really is just an O-Line away from being one of the most complete teams in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
Michael Johnson and a 3rd. Brown is 32 and his contract is not small over the next two years plus holding out for more.

But my opinion is just flat no...I wouldn't want anyone that quits on their team for more money when they are still under a substantial contract.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:39 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What did we want for CP9 and his drama?

The two positions do not hold equal value. QB is the premium position in the league. Trading a QB nets higher picks. Add in the fact that Brown is 32 and will be on his last contract, and it will be hard for the Texans to get higher than a 3rd or 4th for him. Pick value is also devalued by the fact that the season is almost a 3rd of the way through.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:26 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: The more I think about it, the more I'm in line with this thinking. Get him, give him one of those 4 year contracts that is essentially a 2/3 year contract, reevaluate when he is Whitworth's age when we let him walk. 

The AFCN is in a down year, and might be down for the next 2-3 years. And this team really is just an O-Line away from being one of the most complete teams in the NFL. 

If the Bengals wouldn't move like this for Whit, it's doubtful they'll do it for Brown, especially given they'll also have to part with draft picks. Expect a mid-low level FA signing and another tackle draft pick.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:26 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: The more I think about it, the more I'm in line with this thinking. Get him, give him one of those 4 year contracts that is essentially a 2/3 year contract, reevaluate when he is Whitworth's age when we let him walk. 

Id give a 1st for joe Thomas if he committed to play at least 2-3 more years beyond this year
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:18 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Why would they want lafell?  At best he would be their 3rd best WR.  Plus he is more expensive and he is what he is at this point, a reliable vet.  Boyd still has "potential"

Because the Texans don't need "potential", they need people who are proven. LaFell would be the slot receiver for the Texans. He's proven himself (much) more than Boyd.
And Boyd's reputation might be tarnished from his off-field issue he's going through, so he very well might have less appeal over LaFell.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Dunlap would be a no go. That guy needs to retire a Bengal and then be inducted into our imaginary HOF.

1st rounder is something I've talked myself into. I think their value is often overstated. Either way, I agree we're close. Andre at RT and Brown at LT would at least take care of our tackle spots for a couple years at least.

LaFell isn't getting it done. I wouldn't even insult them that way.

He's doing plenty more than Boyd. Offering Boyd would be an insult, especially since he's going through an off-field issue.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Spending a 1st on Brown and keeping him for 4 years would be no different than drafting Zeitler and letting him walk after his rookie contract.

Sure, Brown would cost more, but we'd be getting the same amount of years out of the pick, and Brown is more valuable than a guard.

(10-09-2017, 12:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He's doing plenty more than Boyd. Offering Boyd would be an insult, especially since he's going through an off-field issue.

Boyd is a young player with potential. Again though, that's just one of several ideas I'm okay with.

Throw them a 1st if that's what it takes.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Because the Texans don't need "potential", they need people who are proven. LaFell would be the slot receiver for the Texans. He's proven himself (much) more than Boyd.
And Boyd's reputation might be tarnished from his off-field issue he's going through, so he very well might have less appeal over LaFell.

Lafells value might be a 7th round pick, brown is probably a second. I'm no genius but that isn't even close.

Boyd was a second round pick last year and caught 54 balls, lafell caught 64. But Boyd caught 66% of his targets, lafell caught just under 60%.

So younger with more potential, similar results, cheaper WR rookie contract.
Reply/Quote