Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin
Why doesn't he get much love.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/05/report-duke-tobin-turns-down-titans-lions-g-m-interviews/

This is the roster he took over when he started the job

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2000.htm
Reply/Quote
He doesn't get much credit because our drafts haven't really panned out all that much in recent years. Couple that with the fact that we've lost a ton of talent and have done a piss-poor job of replacing that talent.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Because we haven't won a playoff game in 27+ years.

Kind of hard to applaud a personnel guy under that condition. Essentially he got us from bad to above average but not great.
Reply/Quote
He's done ok but these past few years have been very underwhelming.

Granted, at the time, I didn't hate any draft picks he made but he really should think more about the potential negatives of reaching for players with injuries
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 05:05 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: He's done ok but these past few years have been very underwhelming.

Granted, at the time, I didn't hate any draft picks he made but he really should think more about the potential negatives of reaching for players with injuries

I would like to know what it is really like to be Duke Tobin and have to work for this franchise's FO? My bet is it is not a pleasant experience.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 04:35 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Why doesn't he get much love.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/05/report-duke-tobin-turns-down-titans-lions-g-m-interviews/

I'm a fan of Duke. Outside of one year where we reached to select inferior offensive linemen, I think we've done just fine. We've had one of the most talented rosters in the league over the last 5-6 years. The problem is our coach/QB combo to which I'm certain Duke has no control over.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 05:13 PM)Derrick Wrote: I would like to know what it is really like to be Duke Tobin and have to work for this franchise's FO? My bet is it is not a pleasant experience.

Who knows really? For all we know Mike could be completely out of the picture now and all the personnel control belongs to Tobin (and Marv to some extent).

I don't have anything of substance to base it on but I feel like Duke has it pretty good in this organization. I felt that way even before he started turning down GM offers. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 04:35 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Why doesn't he get much love.

well he also was responsible for our last few drafts too...

Duke might be on the short list to take Pete's now open job.
Reply/Quote
I'm a huge Duke Tobin fan, I listen to a lot of his interviews, and think he's done an outstanding job for a good many years in regards to the draft. He's also incredibly loyal to the Bengals and has turned down multiple interview opportunities for several years running. For those of you who don't care for him, there's a reason why 2 or 3 teams every offseason try and get him to interview. He loves the Bengals and doesn't even interview. I couldn't be a bigger fan.
Reply/Quote
we are 5 -2 this season where burfict plays the entire game 1 of those 2 losses we lost AJ Green in the 2nd half
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 05:50 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: we are 5 -2 this season where burfict plays the entire game 1 of those 2 losses we lost AJ Green in the 2nd half

Neither one of them play 16 games most seasons though. Burfict moreso than AJ... This is just a bad team.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 05:50 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: we are 5 -2 this season where burfict plays the entire game 1 of those 2 losses we lost AJ Green in the 2nd half

Not only that, but the Bengals had the talent to be stomping the Steelers on Monday Night Football... absolutely stomping them, until the coach decided to sit on a 14 point league like an egg he thought he could hatch into a win.

The talent to do very well is on the roster, no question.
Reply/Quote

Those five wins came against teams which have a combined 16-54 win-loss record or .296.

Which means the Bengals have defeated a single team with a winning record, the 8-6 Bills. And the Bills have only beaten two teams with winning records. Which means between the Bengals and Bills combined 13 wins both teams have only managed to beat three winning teams.
Reply/Quote
Wins games, get love. Lose games and IDGAF
Reply/Quote
He sounds like a smart guy and I feel he has done a good job here. With that being said losing Whit and not signing Zietler are two huge mistakes that cost us this season. I wonder how much of it goes to Mikey not wanting to spend vs what Tobin wants to do.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 06:42 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He sounds like a smart guy and I feel he has done a good job here. With that being said losing Whit and not signing Zietler are two huge mistakes that cost us this season. I wonder how much of it goes to Mikey not wanting to spend vs what Tobin wants to do.

Very few people seem to ponder the possibility that neither Zeitler or Whitworth even wanted to come back here. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 04:50 PM)Big Boss Wrote: He doesn't get much credit because our drafts haven't really panned out all that much in recent years.  Couple that with the fact that we've lost a ton of talent and have done a piss-poor job of replacing that talent.

^This, right there. /end thread..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 04:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Because we haven't won a playoff game in 27+ years.

Kind of hard to applaud a personnel guy under that condition. Essentially he got us from bad to above average but not great.

Wouldn’t it just be easier for you to put that in a sig instead of typing it out every single post?

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 07:15 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Very few people seem to ponder the possibility that neither Zeitler or Whitworth even wanted to come back here. 

Tiger ...and Zeitler went to the flippin Browns for shit sake...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
When things were going good it was Duke for president.

Team is losing so Duke's stock is down presently with fans.

Goes with the territory of his job.

Still a Tobin fan but he needs to hit HR's on the next few drafts to change Bengals direction.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote