Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The offensive heading into 2021
(04-05-2021, 11:47 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They're the #1 team at 76%. 

Thanks. That’s what I figured.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 01:11 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: To be fair, most teams don't have the sad state of a scouting department that the Bengals have.

If the team invested in scouting and player development like other teams in the league do, we wouldn't be in the situation where we have so many holes and not enough picks to fill them.

This team just doesn't do well at finding gems unless they are guys that no one else will touch like Chris Henry was, and Burfict was. 

Or for some reason the 2012 draft where we had Iloka and Marvin Jones in the 5th round

As you said this teams scouting department is lousy.  Considering most front offices now days have 10+ scouts, then analytics teams in addition to the scouts and coaching staff.  They build a staff to work together as a team.  

Whereas, this team has 4 scouts and prays their coaches are good enough talent evaluators to draft competently enough. 

If you look at our drafts since 2015, evidently our scouts and coaches pretty much suck.  

I mean you really couldn't miss the top 2 picks last year because we had #1 and #33.  

Higgins is a reliable receiver who's going to have a long career but always be a #2 receiver.  

Boyd on any other team is a reliable receiver who's going to have a long career but always be a #2 receiver.  

This team has so many holes because we've missed on so many players in the draft.  
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 09:33 AM)TJ528 Wrote: I mean you really couldn't miss the top 2 picks last year because we had #1 and #33.  

Every year there are plenty of misses in the first round.  It is just silly to claim the #33 pick is a "can't miss"

(04-06-2021, 09:33 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Higgins is a reliable receiver who's going to have a long career but always be a #2 receiver.  

This is silly also.  There is no reason Higgins can't be a #1 WR.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 08:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every year there are plenty of misses in the first round.  It is just silly to claim the #33 pick is a "can't miss"

Fred, we all have opinions and that's mine about Higgins.  

He's a steady receiver, who had way too many drops last year.  

As far as the #33 pick I do think that pick should be pretty dang close to a "cant miss" prospect. 

IMO, if you have the #1 pick and #33 picks in the draft you just gained yourself 2 starters, like the Bengals did last year.  

I mean only an incompetent coaching staff and scouting staff could mess that one up, which shocks me the Bengals didnt lol 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 08:36 AM)TJ528 Wrote: I mean only an incompetent coaching staff and scouting staff could mess that one up, which shocks me the Bengals didnt lol 

If #33 is "can't miss" unless the coaches and scouts are incompetent then how do you explain the Patriots using the #29 pick on Dominique Easley?

Or the Ravens using a #26 on Breshad Perriman?
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 08:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every year there are plenty of misses in the first round.  It is just silly to claim the #33 pick is a "can't miss"

Technically, Tee Higgins is a WR1.
He was 26th in receiving yards amongst WRs, 28th amongst all pass catchers.

Since there are 32 teams in the NFL, and he's in the Top 32, he's therefore a WR1  Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If #33 is "can't miss" unless the coaches and scouts are incompetent then how do you explain the Patriots using the #29 pick on Dominique Easley?

Or the Ravens using a #26 on Breshad Perriman?

Dang it Fred why you gotta be making good points? come on lol

okay it's the nearest thing to a "cant miss" as a 1st round draft pick is to a "cant miss".  

Yet teams miss on 1st round draft picks all the time.  
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 03:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Technically, Tee Higgins is a WR1.
He was 26th in receiving yards amongst WRs, 28th amongst all pass catchers.

Since there are 32 teams in the NFL, and he's in the Top 32, he's therefore a WR1  Smirk

Among the 35 WRs with at least 100 targets last year Higgins ranked 12th in yards per reception (13.6) and 17th in yards per target (8.4).  He was 18th among all WRs in reception of 20+ yards (14) despite basically playing only 14 games (he had zero targets opening day and only 1 target before getting injured in the last game of the season).  These numbers would be good for any #1 WR in the league, but they are even more impressive considering Higgins was just a rookie playing with a rookie QB.
Reply/Quote