Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mr. Castellini would you please buy the Bengals...
(01-27-2020, 03:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We started out as a playoff team, it fell apart, we went through a typical MLB rebuild, now Castellini is showing how willing he is to open his wallet with the signings of Moustakas (4 years, $64 million), Castellanos (also 4 years, $64 million), Akiyama (3 years, $21 million) and Wade Miley (2 years, $15 million).

Basically, Castellini went "all-in" on 2020. I've never seen Mike Brown go all-in once in 25 years.

This is one of the best posts ever on this board. Really sums things up very concisely. Thank you.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fwiw, here are the top 5, and bottom 5 teams in annual revenue in MLB (From 2018) ...

1. New York Yankees 668
2. Los Angeles Dodgers 549
3. Boston Red Sox 516
4. San Francisco Giants 462
5. Chicago Cubs 452

26. Chicago White Sox 272
27. Minnesota Twins 269
28. Toronto Blue Jays 265
29. Cincinnati Reds 257
30. Pittsburgh Pirates 254

That's primarily the result of individual television contracts and the lack of revenue sharing.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 10:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get it....the Reds have at least appeared to try and do things in FA, but they are in a very different situation.  Baseball is so screwed with guaranteed contracts and no salary cap (what is in place is laughable) and the so-called sabermetrics is now used everywhere.  

For the Reds to win, they are going to have to have a season where some of their young players click all at the same time and their pitchers all stay healthy.  

I actually have more optimism of the Bengals winning before the Reds (no one will want to admit it, but I think they had it in place in 2005 and in 2015) but in baseball, it is a lot harder.  

That being said, the Reds stadium and game experience is better.  Some of it could be weather related, but you can get great seats cheap and the food, etc is excellent.  But I like baseball.  Not many people do.  
I’ll disagree with you. This Reds team now has some leadership and is depending on young guys less. They also have depth after the starting 5 pitching rotation. The Reds could win 90 and make the playoffs this year. The Bengals won’t make the playoffs this year. The Reds have been worse than the Bengals have been over the last 15 years but ownership for the Reds have been more active this offseason than probably any team in baseball. The Reds probably have the best opening day and team HOF in baseball. They have a better team history but they’ve been going down hill for a long time. This is a team and season that I’m excited about.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 04:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Although I hate when people bring up "small market" in football (which has a salary cap and revenue sharing), market size does matter in baseball. Yet Castellini is able to spend big every now and then, which is more than what Mike does with the benefits the NFL offers.

Say what you will about Castellini or his approach, Mike has never had a free agency this active in his entire stint as owner/GM.

I wonder if Castellini is more aware of his age/legacy and wants a WS as proof he was a good owner before his time is up. You can’t take all the money with you when you go.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 11:07 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Fred, Fred, Fred...At least he tries and puts money into a truly "small market" team....This recent signing is equal to the last 30 FA signings for the Bengals.....   Castellini wants to win and puts "his" money into trying to do so....MB will not even spend the NFL money and try

He doesn't have nearly enough cabbage!!!!
Reply/Quote
Reds just spent another 64 million
Reply/Quote
Tough for a small market team. St Louis and Boston aren’t a lot bigger than Cincy I don’t think, but they pack ‘em in the stands.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 10:57 AM)Deacon Wrote: Greater Boston is about 4.5 million, St Louis around 3.  greater Cincinnati 1.5. Both markets twice the size of the Reds.

Hmmm.  I always thought they were just a little bigger.  Guess I should have looked that up.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 10:57 AM)Deacon Wrote: Greater Boston is about 4.5 million, St Louis around 3.  greater Cincinnati 1.5. Both markets twice the size of the Reds.

You can't go by that....the Reds market expands to most of Kentucky... Indiana...West Virginia and other states....one of the largest markets in baseball and one of the biggest TV contracts
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 04:30 PM)spazz70 Wrote: You can't go by that....the Reds market expands to most of Kentucky... Indiana...West Virginia and other states....one of the largest markets in baseball and one of the biggest TV contracts

Not true at all. MLB and the Reds deal with Fox limits to Fox Sports Ohio and very few regional carriers. Their contract is one of the smaller ones. Hence the revenues I posted earlier.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 05:42 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not true at all. MLB and the Reds deal with Fox limits to Fox Sports Ohio and very few regional carriers. Their contract is one of the smaller ones. Hence the revenues I posted earlier.

I see a lot of Reds games on TV in Charlotte. 
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 06:26 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: He doesn't have nearly enough cabbage!!!!

Thing is that Mike can easily compete with the big market teams because they have the same cap. Mike is just too cheap to use the cap space if he does not have to. Keeping overhead costs at an absolute minimum and riding the cap floor while taking in revenue sharing has made Mike and Family a tidy sum. Management won’t change their penny pinching miserliness because there is no incentive to do so. The NFL does not relegate bad franchises to lower leagues, and promote performers upward a la English Football. If they did, the Bengals would be playing the Edmonton Eskimos in 2020.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 08:24 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Thing is that Mike can easily compete with the big market teams because they have the same cap. Mike is just too cheap to use the cap space if he does not have to.  Keeping overhead costs at an absolute minimum and riding the cap floor while taking in revenue sharing has made Mike and Family a tidy sum.  Management won’t change their penny pinching miserliness because there is no incentive to do so.  The NFL does not relegate bad franchises to lower leagues, and promote performers upward a la English Football.  If they did, the Bengals would be playing the Edmonton Eskimos in 2020.

The league mandates the minimum they must spend but the Bengals seem to just spend stupidly.
Reply/Quote
If anyone cares to remember back to lat summer the Reds were still making big moves. They moved Puig for Bauer and a few others.. They nabbed Galvis and that was well after the big splash to get Puig and whatsisface who didn't work out. This offseason has been even better, BUT if they fail and don't end up competing in the division I can see several years of rapid decline to pay off some of these big moves. Anything's possible.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 11:07 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Fred, Fred, Fred...At least he tries and puts money into a truly "small market" team....This recent signing is equal to the last 30 FA signings for the Bengals.....   Castellini wants to win and puts "his" money into trying to do so....MB will not even spend the NFL money and try

First Baseball and Football are totally different creators... Castellini has a worse record over the last decade than Brown as owner.  You say he tries but his trying has made the Reds worse.. Brown spent $$ better over the last decade and Bengals performed better... 

The Reds made more moves.. but its all on paper.. Bauer looked like a great move last season but he sucked as a Red.. so just because you make a move does not mean you are trying... you have to make good moves...
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 12:19 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: First Baseball and Football are totally different creators... Castellini has a worse record over the last decade than Brown as owner.  You say he tries but his trying has made the Reds worse.. Brown spent $$ better over the last decade and Bengals performed better... 

The Reds made more moves.. but its all on paper.. Bauer looked like a great move last season but he sucked as a Red.. so just because you make a move does not mean you are trying... you have to make good moves...

The book on Bauer isn't closed quite yet. If he pitches great this year it'll have been worth it, but in any case it didn't cost much since Puig didn't do much in Cleveland either.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
baseball has more cheaters than nfl. using video cameras from outfield for sign stealing. it's kind of like bonds "Didn't need the roids", but he still used them. la russa was using cameras in outfield, so you know how long this has been going on - imagine the cameras back then - no way they could have read a sign from the outfield, where big money is involved someone is not playing fair. You have to wonder how many player are oblivous or not, have to imagine they all know what's going on (or at least the important ones). What's that banging in the dugout? Oh, it's an offspeed. I mean that's gotta be a full on idiot thinking nobody woudl catch on to the banging.

Seems like we are all fine wasting time watching not well regulated sports where people don't play within the "rules". Without rules, what is a sport? If we rampantly cheated during regular season, were caught, but we won a superbowl that year - honestly how would you guys feel? Welcome to MLB. If everyone else is doing it, it's got to be OK. Big time gray area.

Reminds me of college where laptops were first starting to come around. Programming teacher allowed you to bring a laptop to the programming test, if you had one. At the time, we all paid $5000 for Dell computers in our dorms. The even richer kids had slow ass laptops. Their code would compile on the test. Some of us others would write it by hand, and get syntax errors. I went up to the teacher afterwards and said I'm not sure how you think this is fair, I can't be marked down because I don't have a computer to autocorrect me.

This is one reason why I thnk the Bengals fail though, they don't try to cheat at all as far as I can tell. Belichick has quotes saying he doesn't "try as hard" after spygate. He definitely subscribes to "if you're not cheating you're not trying" mantra with how many times they've been caught. It does take an AJ Green caliber player to overcome another team cheating.

So when you say "hopefully he pitches great" do you mean hopefully he pitches against people who don't know all of his catcher's signs, or he is able to overcome those anyway? So if everyone in baseball cheats, time for Bonds and CLemens to get into the HOF - the best of the cheaters. Have to consider it since convicted cheating teams are winning MLB World series.
Reply/Quote
It is so odd to me to see people arguing about winning percentages of the Bengals vs Reds. It's a tie, they both lose. Both have been dumpster fires for pretty much my whole life. But, but, but the Bengals went to consecutive playoffs several years ago. Spare me.

Since they both have been awful on the field, I'll look at everything else. Reds dominate in just about ever other category; community engagement, fan engagement with the Reds caravan, Championship history, Ring of Honor connections with previous players, stadium amenities, family friendly environment, & yes, an owner that at least appears to care about the fans and winning.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 11:01 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: It is so odd to me to see people arguing about winning percentages of the Bengals vs Reds.  It's a tie, they both lose.  Both have been dumpster fires for pretty much my whole life.  But, but, but the Bengals went to consecutive playoffs several years ago.  Spare me.

Since they both have been awful on the field, I'll look at everything else.  Reds dominate in just about ever other category; community engagement, fan engagement with the Reds caravan, Championship history, Ring of Honor connections with previous players, stadium amenities, family friendly environment, & yes, an owner that at least appears to care about the fans and winning.

Since 68 the Reds have been world Champs multiple times  There in lies the difference.  You can't compare also rans with Champions. 
Reply/Quote
Will anyone who realizes you have to spend money to make money buy this team.. mike brown doesn't realize that building a winning team will make him more money. I hope Mike knows how embarrassed and how ashamed his dad Paul would be right now. Mike Brown is not committed to winning.
Reply/Quote