Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin seems to confirm that the Bengals will draft Burrow and trade Dalton
“I can tell you one thing, what Andy Dalton’s done for the Cincinnati Bengals is not something that we’re going to forget and we’re not going to just willy-nilly, make something happen with him that, a) he’s uncomfortable with and, b) that we’re uncomfortable with,” Tobin said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/21/duke-tobin-on-andy-dalton-we-wont-do-something-willy-nilly/

Not hard to read between the lines there. They want to trade Andy, but he's saying it won't be for peanuts and it has to be a situation Andy is comfortable with. That's the respect level they have for him. Obviously if this talk is going on, it looks like we're a lock for Burrow. Not that this will shock anyone.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if the plan is to try and trade him before FA and if not, release him so he has a chance to sign with a team that needs a starter.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 07:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I wonder if the plan is to try and trade him before FA and if not, release him so he has a chance to sign with a team that needs a starter.

Good question. I think it might be best to wait til after the draft, when the teams who didn't land a QB in free agency or the draft come calling. Who knows though? If we get a decent offer before then, I'd pull the trigger. The other aspect to this, is that we need a veteran replacement for Andy. If we wait too long, all the good ones will be gone.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 07:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I wonder if the plan is to try and trade him before FA and if not, release him so he has a chance to sign with a team that needs a starter.

With as many QBs hitting free agency, it seems logical to wait until after so that the teams that lose out are more desperate for a deal, unless of course, someone makes a really good offer for him before then. But who knows how contracts will play out between now and Mar 18 that can change things exponentially

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 07:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good question. I think it might be best to wait til after the draft, when the teams who didn't land a QB in free agency or the draft come calling. Who knows though? If we get a decent offer before then, I'd pull the trigger. The other aspect to this, is that we need a veteran replacement for Andy. If we wait too long, all the good ones will be gone.

Yep, if a decent offer comes along I wouldn't wait. Likewise if there's a vet out there that fits I'd get him ASAP.

It's good to see they're doing right by Andy he deserves all the respect they can give him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Andy is gone regardless of what we do in the draft. He's heading to New England FYI.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 07:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good question. I think it might be best to wait til after the draft, when the teams who didn't land a QB in free agency or the draft come calling. Who knows though? If we get a decent offer before then, I'd pull the trigger. The other aspect to this, is that we need a veteran replacement for Andy. If we wait too long, all the good ones will be gone.

I know that some have predicted several possible landing spots for Andy, but for some reason Tampa just seems like a team that Andy could thrive with.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
From What i remember..
Andy was benched and notified on his birthday
This front office is completely ignorant when making any and all "Proper" decisions..
Eff Duke Tobin and the horse he rode in on..
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 08:49 PM)Spider Wrote: From What i remember..
Andy was benched and notified on his birthday
This front office is completely ignorant when making any and all "Proper" decisions..
Eff Duke Tobin and the horse he rode in on..

I believe Taylor made that call alone... and im thinking after he regretted it and a few games later Andy was back starting (which might be front office pressure)
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 07:49 PM)J24 Wrote: Andy is gone regardless of what we do in the draft. He's heading to New England FYI.

The opposites attract thing is real.

We have a strong relationship with NE.   :andy:
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 09:03 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: The opposites attract thing is real.

We have a strong relationship with NE.   :andy:

Probably why they thought it'd be cool to film our sideline...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Building a team isn't just about having a ton of picks... it's about picking the right guy.

Joe Burrow is the right guy to build around not just because he is the best QB prospect in several years. It's also because he's a leader. He exudes confidence and confidence is contagious.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 09:12 PM)Synric Wrote: Building a team isn't just about having a ton of picks... it's about picking the right guy.

Joe Burrow is the right guy to build around not just because he is the best QB prospect in several years. It's also because he's a leader. He exudes confidence and confidence is contagious.

Couldn't agree more. Joe
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 07:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I know that some have predicted several possible landing spots for Andy, but for some reason Tampa just seems like a team that Andy could thrive with.

I think New England would obviously be the ideal spot for Dalton, but Tampa would also be a great fit.

Not like Arians hasn't revived a Bengals QB's career before.

(01-21-2020, 09:12 PM)Synric Wrote: Building a team isn't just about having a ton of picks... it's about picking the right guy.

It sounds cliche, and I kinda hate the word, but he definitely has a swagger about him and just looks like a future star of the league. He called himself a champion a few days before the title game, then goes out and drops 500 yards and 5 TDs against arguably the best defense in college? How do you not follow a guy like that?
Reply/Quote

If they showed their cards, idk, but they will likely screw it up.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 07:49 PM)J24 Wrote: Andy is gone regardless of what we do in the draft. He's heading to New England FYI.

That would be a great fit for the Patriots! Andy Dalton learned under several schemes under five different Cincinnati offensive coordinators in nine years so you know he’s smart and flexible. He gets the ball out fast as well and I know Bill Belichick values that in a quarterback. He’s also fairly good running the ball. I think Josh McDaniel could elevate Andy’s game.

However, if the Bengals trade Andy Dalton to New England, I don’t want a draft pick. I want linebacker Dont’a Hightower.
Reply/Quote

My son is a Browns fan, he and I just had that conversation, last night.  He kept saying things like "We just need to dump this guy, that guy, and these three other guys, and bring in this one that one and those few over there.".  

I finally had to tell him "Son, they've been doing that for a while now.", "They need to pick a team, and allow it to grow into something good, same with the coaching staff.".  He really didn't appreciate when I explained to him that Baker was already starting to lose his luster, and that now that teams have two years of footage on him, it will be even easier to break down his tendencies, and force him into bad decisions.

He got downright terse with me, when I told him that the Browns weren't doing anything but trying to copycat what the Jaguars did two years ago, and the only difference is that their "collection of talented players" actually got them to the Conference Championship game, while Cleveland's experiment just left fans like him clamoring for yet, another roster and coaching turnover.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 07:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: “I can tell you one thing, what Andy Dalton’s done for the Cincinnati Bengals is not something that we’re going to forget and we’re not going to just willy-nilly, make something happen with him that, a) he’s uncomfortable with and, b) that we’re uncomfortable with,” Tobin said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/21/duke-tobin-on-andy-dalton-we-wont-do-something-willy-nilly/

Not hard to read between the lines there. They want to trade Andy, but he's saying it won't be for peanuts and it has to be a situation Andy is comfortable with. That's the respect level they have for him. Obviously if this talk is going on, it looks like we're a lock for Burrow. Not that this will shock anyone.

I like the way they are handling things right now, keep it up. Bring in a Lineman and LB'er in FA at the very least, draft Burrow
and things are looking up. We can add weapons and more Lineman in the Draft and Turner did well turning around the blocking 
later in the year. Still remember the analysts saying how Burrow had a worse O-line than Tua and he still did what he did.

Burrow knows how to even make his O-line look better than it is from what I am seeing.

I think since TB is testing FA that the Patriots is the best team for Dalton to go to for all parties easily.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 09:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My son is a Browns fan, he and I just had that conversation, last night.  He kept saying things like "We just need to dump this guy, that guy, and these three other guys, and bring in this one that one and those few over there.".  

I finally had to tell him "Son, they've been doing that for a while now.", "They need to pick a team, and allow it to grow into something good, same with the coaching staff.".  He really didn't appreciate when I explained to him that Baker was already starting to lose his luster, and that now that teams have two years of footage on him, it will be even easier to break down his tendencies, and force him into bad decisions.

He got downright terse with me, when I told him that the Browns weren't doing anything but trying to copycat what the Jaguars did two years ago, and the only difference is that their "collection of talented players" actually got them to the Conference Championship game, while Cleveland's experiment just left fans like him clamoring for yet, another roster and coaching turnover.

Kind of reminds me of my own son and his ideas of how things work which usually are not how they work at all. We had a recent argument over something I called nonsense so he slammed down the phone acting all butt hurt then called his completely unsympathetic sister to complain about things he's known his entire life about me.. LOL The joys of fatherhood, huh? That's the problem with kids today.. They think they're smarter than us old fools.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Couldn't say it any better. Burrow is the right guy, pick him. Cool
Reply/Quote