Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin
(07-10-2016, 11:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I doubt that he has all the same freedoms as a GM, either.

Mike is getting up there in age, so I bet Duke has a lot of freedoms and power, but not nearly the same as a typical GM.

Plus, GM's do more than just work on the roster.

Completely agree.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2016, 09:58 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I doubt it comes with nearly the same salary though, and definitely does not have the same prestige within the league.  I have been saying for the last couple years that Tobin deserves the title, pay, and recognition of being General Manager.

Do we know what he makes?  because hes been offered interviews and seems quiet content.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2016, 12:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Do we know what he makes?  because hes been offered interviews and seems quiet content.

No, I do not know what he makes.  I am pretty confident in thinking he makes less than the $2-3 million that a top NFL GM is said to make though (the teams are notoriously tight lipped about front office pay).  Even taking pay off the table, there is a great deal of responsibility and recognition that is not afforded to him.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2016, 02:11 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: No, I do not know what he makes.  I am pretty confident in thinking he makes less than the $2-3 million that a top NFL GM is said to make though (the teams are notoriously tight lipped about front office pay).  Even taking pay off the table, there is a great deal of responsibility and recognition that is not afforded to him.

wow figured top GMs would be making more than kickers.
Reply/Quote
Tobin is definitely an asset for us. He does a great job with the draft.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2016, 01:45 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I wish Mike Brown would get off his cheap ass and hire a GM. Ninja

I guess we just have to stick with the best Director of Player Personnel in football.

I've always been a bit concerned about that. I thought GMs were under the same restrictions as coaches (have to have permission for lateral movements), not sure if that extends to other positions like DoPP. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2016, 04:22 PM)Benton Wrote: I've always been a bit concerned about that. I thought GMs were under the same restrictions as coaches (have to have permission for lateral movements), not sure if that extends to other positions like DoPP. 

I don't think so. Tobin's name has been popular recently for potential GM jobs. However, he says he has no interest in leaving Cincinnati.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2016, 04:27 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't think so. Tobin's name has been popular recently for potential GM jobs. However, he says he has no interest in leaving Cincinnati.

I wonder if hes part of a succession plan...  Either way im glad he seems to be here to stay.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2016, 10:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: His explanation used to be because he felt like the team should practice out in the conditions that they play in, which may have been true, but I think it was mainly just because he's a tight ass.

Now, they use UC's, so his excuse is that they have what they need, while still lacking an adequate weight room, medical treatment facility, etc.

They just built an impressive weight room around 2 years ago.. so not sure what your talking about on that one
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2016, 12:58 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: They just built an impressive weight room around 2 years ago.. so not sure what your talking about on that one

our fans whine more than any player about a practice dome....  I can understand one in a place like texas where it gets super hot or in Minnesota where you might get several feet of snow..  But ehre we get a little cold some rain maybe a bit of snow...  not much to cancel outdoor activities. imo...

from all ive seen the patriots never use theirs they practice in the elements...
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2016, 03:20 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Seems to me that they just don't come much better than Duke Tobin.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Q--A-With-Duke-Tobin/3369eefc-a0fc-4f82-8acb-28d034a61d33

If he ever decides to leave this castle will crumble.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2016, 06:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I wonder if hes part of a succession plan...  Either way im glad he seems to be here to stay.

Doubtful there's an succession plan.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2016, 04:14 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Doubtful there's an succession plan.

he might not have a deal with MB   but Katie....  lol..   either way till he says hes looking for advancement its a non issue for us fans.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2016, 12:58 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: They just built an impressive weight room around 2 years ago.. so not sure what your talking about on that one

If I remember correctly, they just added on to the weight room that was already there, which was shitty, so not sure how impressive it is.

Plus, a weight room is nice, but you also need training facilities, better rehab and medical facilities, an indoor practice field, etc. 

I realize that they just made a 50 yard indoor practice facility out of an old gym, but it doesn't look like there's much room to do much of anything.  

That's what I'm talking about on that one.

Why do you think Adam Jones and other Bengals train over here in Northern Kentucky at Griffin Elite?
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2016, 02:11 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: No, I do not know what he makes.  I am pretty confident in thinking he makes less than the $2-3 million that a top NFL GM is said to make though (the teams are notoriously tight lipped about front office pay).  Even taking pay off the table, there is a great deal of responsibility and recognition that is not afforded to him.

Are you sure about that?  Being trusted to put together a talented roster, which he has done very well at, is a pretty tall responsibility.  As far as I can tell, about the only thing he doesn't do that a typical GM might, is negotiate contracts.  WTS that maybe he actually does play a role in negotiations, Bengals generally stay pretty quiet on the inner workings of the FO.  As for recognition, he seems quite content staying in his position with the Bengals, the fans seem thrilled to have him as part of the organization, what's the beef?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Duke Tobin is the Bengals best talent evaluator since Mr Paul Brown.

It's like going to D Buds for a fantasy draft and watching that 1 dude out draft the whole room.

But my favorite thing about Duke is that he brought his Daddy along w/ him.......quote from Q & A.

"For those who don’t know, your dad Bill who now works in the Bengals scouting department, was largely responsible for building the Super Bowl champion Chicago Bears. "
Reply/Quote