Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke and Zac Press Conferences
notes from coach's press meet ups today

Quote:Special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons didn't rule anything out when asked about potentially adding another punter. 

"Yeah, I would think so," Simmons said when asked about adding another punter. "Anytime you have competition there, it brings out the best." 
Instead of adding competition for Robbins, could they go out and sign a top punter like Tommy Townsend? 
Townsend played with Evan McPherson at Florida. He's scheduled to become a free agent. 
"There's some guys out there that are potentially going to be available that are very interesting that could certainly help us," Simmons said. "I think it just got to be an organizational decision on where we want to move that money to."
Simmons made it clear that he believes Robbins could take a big step forward and be the guy, but they're clearly open to adding to that room in hopes of solving their punter issues in 2024. 
"There's certainly a lot of room for improvement," Simmons said. "If you go back and look statistically where his rookie year was and comparison like what Kevin Huber's was, it's still better. I don't want to overreact here. I think that's part of my job is to help develop him and make him better. I think he is the right mindset. He's very open to him, you know things that we bring up in techniques. We might want to change a little bit the to help that production, but it's certainly an area we got to get better at quick."

from James Rapien

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 12:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Comments were made that the vision for Higgins is for him to play with the Bengals, thus why they tagged him.
It may be a smokescreen, but I don't think it is.
We may need to remove any thoughts of a tag-and-trade scenario.

Ya think? 

I mean, this has been pretty clear for months. Though I am glad some folks are getting the message. Welcome to the party. 

This will be a VERY interesting offseason. Aside from QB, DE, PK, & LS, I think every position group either has an open starting spot (RT, NT/DT, WR3, TE), could stand a starter upgrade AND needs depth upgrades (CB, S, IOL, RB, DT/NT), needs a starter upgrade (P), or better depth (LB). 

I favor trying to go after higher grade FAs first at our biggest need areas (DT/NT, OT) but realize we may not be able to land top tier guys at those spots. Some spots may be better suited to be filled via the draft anyway with deep classes (OT, WR, CB). And I would not mind spending big on a stud CB, S, TE (Schultz), IOL, P, or even RB (Henry).
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 03:00 PM)pally Wrote: notes from coach's press meet ups today

I forgot Townsend played with McPherson at Florida. Makes too much sense now for this to not happen IMO.
Reply/Quote
Dax Hill ( remember I’m from Oklahoma and know a lot about him) they’ve been saying since the 8th grade he’s a better corner. He’s not. His greatest asset is his range and closing speed.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 03:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Ya think? 

I mean, this has been pretty clear for months. Though I am glad some folks are getting the message. Welcome to the party. 

This will be a VERY interesting offseason. Aside from QB, DE, PK, & LS, I think every position group either has an open starting spot (RT, NT/DT, WR3, TE), could stand a starter upgrade AND needs depth upgrades (CB, S, IOL, RB, DT/NT), needs a starter upgrade (P), or better depth (LB). 

I favor trying to go after higher grade FAs first at our biggest need areas (DT/NT, OT) but realize we may not be able to land top tier guys at those spots. Some spots may be better suited to be filled via the draft anyway with deep classes (OT, WR, CB). And I would not mind spending big on a stud CB, S, TE (Schultz), IOL, P, or even RB (Henry).

It's not a new message for me.
I've known that a tag-and-trade isn't something the Bengals have done in the past 25 years, and only one guy has actually been signed to a long-term deal after being tagged.
So for all intents and purpose, Higgins is here for this year then gone. Bengals will hopefully get a 3rd round comp pick for it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 03:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Dax Hill ( remember I’m from Oklahoma and know a lot about him) they’ve been saying since the 8th grade he’s a better corner. He’s not. His greatest asset is his range and closing speed.

Slot Corner, not boundary Corner, cause yeah, he is not a boundary Corner. I like hearing Lou is open to putting Dax where he is most comfortable
myself. Adding Geno Stone from the Ravens while freeing up Dax to make plays might be the best move to really improve the Defense while adding
a few physical DT's.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 03:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Slot Corner, not boundary Corner, cause yeah, he is not a boundary Corner. I like hearing Lou is open to putting Dax where he is most comfortable
myself. Adding Geno Stone from the Ravens while freeing up Dax to make plays might be the best move to really improve the Defense while adding
a few physical DT's.

Slot corner is different for sure. But what about Hilton?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 03:56 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Slot corner is different for sure. But what about Hilton?

This is the last year of Hilton's contract and he isn't getting any younger. Of course use Hilton this year, but using Dax at Slot Corner at times with
the taller TE's could be a great move and we need to start preparing for life without Hilton. As sad as I will be to see him go, love Mike Hilton.
Reply/Quote