Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke combine press conference
1) Sacks are not all on the offensive line. Bragged about offensive production where he gives credit to the OL for that as well. But, obviously, we are looking to improve which will also include looking at trades, He is expecting this year to give the boost for a big jump for the guys who will be in year 2

2) We absolutely want Jessie Bates back...a decision on the franchise tag will be made in the next couple of days. They have until the 8th

3) Looking to re sign as many of our depth pieces as possible

so basically a whole lot of exactly what we expect him to say

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Good stuff. Typical GM speak, but I wish he was more vocal about improving the OL and making that the top priority. I'm sure they realize that, but I just want reassurance.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 05:51 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: Good stuff. Typical GM speak, but I wish he was more vocal about improving the OL and making that the top priority. I'm sure they realize that, but I just want reassurance.

Cant be too vocal about wanting to replace your players till you know they can/will be replaced until then you express some confidence in them...  Or your creating another problem.

(like those teams that try and fail to trade for a QB when they have one... then all the sudden they that one wants out and they have none i realize this isnt QB but same thing overall lol)
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 05:51 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: Good stuff. Typical GM speak, but I wish he was more vocal about improving the OL and making that the top priority. I'm sure they realize that, but I just want reassurance.

Yeah. That makes me kind of nervous because, while there has been more talk and this offseason seems different, in years past, it would be "we're going to be aggressive in free agency AND keep our own guys," but, when free agency came, we'd get a few second or third tier guys and sign some of our own but make no real improvements.

I said if it came down to Bates or the line, it's the line, but I want him back very badly.

Sacks are not all on the line?! Then who the hell are they on?! I admit that Mixon wasn't the best at picking up pass rushers, but (1) he shouldn't have to and (2) he can't block the three guys who got by on a lot of plays. 

Also, Burrow was pretty damn good at being elusive and escaping a lot of sacks.

That press conference worries me.................
Reply/Quote
Eh, cannot take any of this with a grain of salt. Don't want to tip our hands in any direction at this time of year.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 06:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, cannot take any of this with a grain of salt. Don't want to tip our hands in any direction at this time of year.

Because without the GM tipping our hand by bluntly saying "hey our line sucked, we need to upgrade it" other teams won't realize that Burrow got sacked 70 times last year including 7 times in the Super Bowl?

They have eyes/common sense/Google, Nate. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 06:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Because without the GM tipping our hand by bluntly saying "hey our line sucked, we need to upgrade it" other teams won't realize that Burrow got sacked 70 times last year including 7 times in the Super Bowl?

They have eyes/common sense/Google, Nate. Lol

True, just not taking this as... we aren't going to upgrade the OL, either....
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 06:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah. That makes me kind of nervous because, while there has been more talk and this offseason seems different, in years past, it would be "we're going to be aggressive in free agency AND keep our own guys," but, when free agency came, we'd get a few second or third tier guys and sign some of our own but make no real improvements.

I said if it came down to Bates or the line, it's the line, but I want him back very badly.

Sacks are not all on the line?! Then who the hell are they on?! I admit that Mixon wasn't the best at picking up pass rushers, but (1) he shouldn't have to and (2) he can't block the three guys who got by on a lot of plays. 

There are times when the RB, whomever he is, must make blocks.  Just like tight ends do.  There are times when the QB holds onto the ball instead of throwing it away when he should.  Joe didn't scramble much in the 1st half of the season There are times when all the receivers are covered.  So yes, not all sacks are on the linemen.  What did you hope to hear considering there is no way Duke is going to tip his hand

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I just don't want complacency. Keep drafting high character, team captain types if they are options there. Being least penalized was rewarding.. No drafting of injured players, like Og was, to stash away for a year. Draft the best players hoping they have a shot to unseat someone. If they do, then the depth is better for it. Just drafting players to be depth players, is what you get, depth players. We are coming off a great year, so no let up. Have a home run draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 07:14 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I just don't want complacency.  Keep drafting high character, team captain types if they are options there.  Being least penalized was rewarding.. No drafting of injured players, like Og was, to stash away for a year.  Draft the best players hoping they have a shot to unseat someone.  If they do, then the depth is better for it.  Just drafting players to be depth players, is what you get, depth players.  We are coming off a great year, so no let up.  Have a home run draft.

Well said Goalpost, completely agree. Don't let up, keep the pedal to the metal. Bring back our own and fortify the OL.
Reply/Quote
Both Duke and Zac cited having 1000 yard WRs and a RB as indicative the OL contributed to team success. I'll reserve fan-raging until the start of the season to see how the roster is constructed. I hope in their private meetings they recognize the OL needs help.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 08:01 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Both Duke and Zac cited having 1000 yard WRs and a RB as indicative the OL contributed to team success. I'll reserve fan-raging until the start of the season to see how the roster is constructed. I hope in their private meetings they recognize the OL needs help.

With a great OL they could of broke many more records. I will reserve fan-raging the same, they better make one heck of an 
effort though after what we saw. I know I have mentioned that Burrow will be sacked more than almost any other QB the way
he plays but we need to bring back Spain and at the very least get proven starters at RG and RT.

This is at the very least. Adeniji shouldn't be playing in the NFL and Prince is a backup OT at best. Hopkins is a bad run blocker.

Spain also played bad in the Playoffs and in the SB which should be acknowledged in bringing him back.

The OL is the reason we didn't win the Superbowl.
Reply/Quote
What we’ve learned. The Cincy scouting department and Pollard have not been good on evaluating the OL. They just hired an assistant OL coach who’s strength is in evaluation and development. It’s obvious Duke is sensitive to the criticism. That’s not to take away from the other areas they’ve done great. Zac was not as pro the current OL as Duke was. If Bates wants to remain here they will do him right but agents get in the way sometimes. Hey it’s a tough of war. I’d say it’s 50/50.

We also learned they are going to resign a lot of their own free agents.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 08:01 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Both Duke and Zac cited having 1000 yard WRs and a RB as indicative the OL contributed to team success. I'll reserve fan-raging until the start of the season to see how the roster is constructed. I hope in their private meetings they recognize the OL needs help.

The 3 Draft picks from last year have shown growth and will be most of the upgrade we need....

Is likey is coming too
Reply/Quote
We have 2 free agents on the O-line (Spain, Riff). The feeling I am getting is that we will sign 2 free agents to replace them. Good chance one of those replacements will be re-signing Spain.

They are going to count on Carman or Smith to be RG.

Probably sign a cheap vet like Miller or Su'a-filo for depth.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 11:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We have 2 free agents on the O-line (Spain, Riff). The feeling I am getting is that we will sign 2 free agents to replace them. Good chance one of those replacements will be re-signing Spain.

They are going to count on Carman or Smith to be RAG

They’ll resign both Spain and Reiff. They will bring in a top center and mid priced guard and draft a tackle like Raimman. They want depth and competition
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 06:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah. That makes me kind of nervous because, while there has been more talk and this offseason seems different, in years past, it would be "we're going to be aggressive in free agency AND keep our own guys," but, when free agency came, we'd get a few second or third tier guys and sign some of our own but make no real improvements.

Agreed that he cant be throwing our CURRENT guys under the bus..I have complete faith we will be bringing in at least 2 top Olineman + a draft pick to beef it up. JB is a once in a generation QB on a rookie deal....THEY KNOW THE DEAL! 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 11:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We have 2 free agents on the O-line (Spain, Riff). The feeling I am getting is that we will sign 2 free agents to replace them. Good chance one of those replacements will be re-signing Spain.

They are going to count on Carman or Smith to be RG.

Sucks, have to hope our young players develop this way. This is showing no effort if this is the case.

I would be very disappointed if this is all they do. Once again ignoring the one thing that could put this team over the top.

We won't be back to the SB if this is all we do. This is a depressing post Fred. Mellow
Reply/Quote

And that is true. It's not just the OL as a whole as many many times it's just one player on the OL that screws up an entire play. Look, Borrow holds the ball way too long plenty of times that resulted in sacks/hits and in my opinion it's flat out ignorant all the time to run pitch outs 6-7 yards deep on 3rd/4th and short, which is also on the coaches.

With that being said it's certainly time that this organization develops the mindset, more than ever, that looks to upgrade weaker spots all over the field with the most glaring being the OL. They always talk about players having winning attitudes and coaches, GM's and owners should not be immune to that either.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 07:10 PM)pally Wrote: There are times when the RB, whomever he is, must make blocks.  Just like tight ends do.  There are times when the QB holds onto the ball instead of throwing it away when he should.  Joe didn't scramble much in the 1st half of the season There are times when all the receivers are covered.  So yes, not all sacks are on the linemen.  What did you hope to hear considering there is no way Duke is going to tip his hand

Just to add to what you already noted: defenses overloaded one side, too. The O line usually blocks inside out leaving the outside rusher untouched in some cases (TN in playoffs.) Especially with empty sets. I don’t know if it was due to a missed blocking assignment, a missed hot read by the WR or QB, or just the design of the play.
Reply/Quote