Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunlap Treats Women With Breast Cancer & Survivors To Spa Day!
Carlos Dunlap lost his great aunt and his mother to breast cancer, so he's giving back and giving them a day of relaxation and enjoyment:

Quote:With such a first-hand understanding of the day-to-day challenges that breast cancer sufferers go through, Dunlap decided part of his foundation's mission ought to hinge on making life, even for one night, comfortable for those who have been through their respective battles with the disease, and those who continue to fight.

So Wednesday evening, Dunlap and a few teammates will be hosting a "Spa Day" at a local salon for a group of breast cancer survivors and those currently undergoing treatment. It's the second time he has held such an event. Facials, pedicures and massages are on the menu for those attending. Dunlap admitted that even he would be getting a pedicure right along side them.

"I want to give back to these women and celebrate their lives by giving them a time where they can relax, have fun, and get to know other cancer survivors like themselves," Dunlap said. "They are a true reminder of what real strength is."

The event coincides with October and Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Like other teams around the NFL, the Bengals on Sunday will be recognizing people who have been through breast cancer, those who are going through it, and those who have served as a caregiver for a breast cancer sufferer. Players will wear pink trimmings on their uniform accessories, women attending the game will receive pink scarves at the entrance gates, and pink ribbons will be handed out to any person who wants them by members of the sorority Zeta Tau Alpha.

If there was ever a year for the Bengals to recognize those who have been through the disease, this is it.

Breast cancer has hit the Cincinnati Bengals hard recently.

In April, Christine Zampese, the wife of Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese was diagnosed with the disease. Around the same time, Mary Jane Combs, the wife of assistant public relations director P.J. Combs, received her own diagnosis. Both women remain in the middle of their respective fights.

"I don't want sympathy," Christine Zampese told Bengals.com. "This is life. And my life is family and football."

I love this because we have players and a team with high character that are all about our fans and about giving back to the community, even if the people that they're helping don't give a shit about football or the team.

He also realizes that there's people going through such trauma and difficult times in the world that his, along with a lot of us, have life pretty good.

I love that this comes at a time when we're 3-0 because, had this been 2005 or any of those years, our players would be out at bars and clubs celebrating like they're on top of the world, but this team is concerned with other people, living good lives, and focusing on the next week of football.

It's a GREAT time to in Cincinnati with an UNBELIEVABLE team, on and off the field!
Reply/Quote
ThumbsUp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That is truly an awesome gesture, by Dunlap.

My mother in law, is a breast cancer survivor, so stories like this one touch close to home, with me. She is a huge NASCAR fan, and they do a lot for the breast cancer survivors. She gets free tickets to some selected races each year, gets invited to paint the start/finish line at a race each year, and has also been blessed with the opportunity to meet several of the drivers.

Not sure if the NFL does similar fashion, but it certainly is nice to see the news of one of my favorite Bengals doing such a kind gesture.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Can't argue that the Bengals have a high class organization filled with high class characters, something I can back regardless of if the team is winning or losing.

Rock On  Dunlap!
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 06:30 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Carlos Dunlap lost his great aunt and his mother to breast cancer, so he's giving back and giving them a day of relaxation and enjoyment:

I love this because we have players and a team with high character that are all about our fans and about giving back to the community, even if the people that they're helping don't give a shit about football or the team.

He also realizes that there's people going through such trauma and difficult times in the world that his, along with a lot of us, have life pretty good.

I love that this comes at a time when we're 3-0 because, had this been 2005 or any of those years, our players would be out at bars and clubs celebrating like they're on top of the world, but this team is concerned with other people, living good lives, and focusing on the next week of football.

It's a GREAT time to in Cincinnati with an UNBELIEVABLE team, on and off the field!

Great story.  Thanks for sharing.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 07:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is truly an awesome gesture, by Dunlap.

My mother in law, is a breast cancer survivor, so stories like this one touch close to home, with me.  She is a huge NASCAR fan, and they do a lot for the breast cancer survivors.  She gets free tickets to some selected races each year, gets invited to paint the start/finish line at a race each year, and has also been blessed with the opportunity to meet several of the drivers.

Not sure if the NFL does similar fashion, but it certainly is nice to see the news of one of my favorite Bengals doing such a kind gesture.

Very cool of NASCAR, didn't know they did that. And I think the NFL does support at least as far as visibility, but hopefully it's more than just that.
Reply/Quote