Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunlap not starting this week
(10-08-2020, 02:54 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Starter or not, you're still going to see a ton of reps as a defensive lineman on most NFL teams. To say he's not part of the gameplan seems a little misleading. I'm a Dunlap fan, and still am, but you have to imagine that this is probably his last year in stripes.

I think barring him having a real big 2020, the writing was already on the walls for this. Now it's all but done.

Next year was the final year of his contract and he had a $13.5m cap hit vs $2.25m in dead money.

Cutting a non-elite 32-year-old to save $11.25m in cap space is a pretty easy call as far as cap allocation goes.

(10-08-2020, 03:21 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Is there a way to privately bench someone?

I'm not sure I understand your complaint.  They posted a depth chart, and he's upset he's not at the top.  What would you have them do?

[Image: 4htv8z.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Go back and re-watch this years games so far. A lot of the runs we get gashed for is because Carlos is going too deep, or getting pushed too deep, into the backfield trying to go around the tackle, which opens a huge lane for the running back. He's not getting home to the QB, and he's not keeping contain in his area of responsibility. THAT'S why he is getting canned on 1st and 2nd down.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 04:07 PM)Okeana Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF_Bengals/status/1314278458248368130?s=20

Those are some sad numbers.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 03:49 PM)pally Wrote: the live interview

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/carlos-dunlap-demotion-depth-chart

Sounds dejected, depressed, and feeling sorry for himself. Better pick himself up by his bootstraps and get his "stuff" together. In the wise words of Marvin Lewis: "Be a f'n pro!"

BTW, I thought Mixon owned the rights to the phrase" "At the end of the day."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I thought this guy played under Marvin Lewis for the majority of his career. Doesn’t he know depth charts don’t mean anything??? Ninja
Reply/Quote
As someone who is a big fan of Carlos...instead of complaining about the demotion, I'd much rather have seen him talk about taking it as a challenge and be motivated to prove them wrong. Kind of disappointed by the way he responded. I understand he doesn't like it...but I think he could have handled it better. 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 04:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: As someone who is a big fan of Carlos...instead of complaining about the demotion, I'd much rather have seen him talk about taking it as a challenge and be motivated to prove them wrong. Kind of disappointed by the way he responded. I understand he doesn't like it...but I think he could have handled it better. 

Now the question becomes how does he respond. Does he respond as an adult and go out, use this as motivation to get his job back, or does he go to the bench and pout like Kaeperdick.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 03:49 PM)pally Wrote: the live interview

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/carlos-dunlap-demotion-depth-chart

Employee #96? Who does Dunlap think he is, Ced Benson?

I don’t like the attitude at all. It also sounds like the coaches did talk to him but he didn’t agree with it. Not being a great team player right now, which is shocking, I always thought Los was a good locker room guy. Either way, referring to coaching decisions as ‘madness’ is probably not a good way to get back into the lineup.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 02:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: So one thought I had, I saw Dunlap say "They got a great gameplan for stopping the run this week, I just wish I was part of it". I wonder with Geno back (potentially) if we could see a more tradiional 3-4 look standing Hubbard and Lawson up to play more of an outside contain on Jackson with Covington/Rader/Geno playing as the down linemen? To me the timing of this seems interesting coming off the team performance last week, which makes me wonder if it is schematical as much as performance. He mentions he will still be a 3rd down rusher, which is most likely from a more traditional four man front.

If they were ever to come into a game with that kind of plan (switching up to a 34--or anything drastic or different than they normally do) i'd probably poop my pants and then either faint or die. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 02:38 PM)pally Wrote: you don't put in the effort at practice and it comes back to bite you.  Carlos is one of the best when he wants to be.  But, he has always been inconsistant

Agree with you 100%, and Carlos needs to take the role he is given now (more of a 3rd down player) and make a difference instead of whining about not starting.  

That being said, Mo has been pointing out how ZT said early on as a coach that his culture was going to be based on character and communication.  Seems like he missed on one here.  
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 02:40 PM)J24 Wrote: He lead the team in tackles against Philly and was coming off a 70 performance against the Jaguars. While Lawson is better than him at this point I see no point in humiliating Dunlap by publicly benching him and honestly he still going to be playing a ton still; So what was the point in doing so?
All they had to do was tell Him that they are going to limit his snaps and this wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Did they publicly bench him or did it become public when Carlos made it so?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 02:40 PM)J24 Wrote: He lead the team in tackles against Philly and was coming off a 70 performance against the Jaguars. While Lawson is better than him at this point I see no point in humiliating Dunlap by publicly benching him and honestly he still going to be playing a ton still; So what was the point in doing so?
All they had to do was tell Him that they are going to limit his snaps and this wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Maybe they tried to tell him that.  Maybe the depth chart wasn't supposed to be posted before he was spoken with.  I don't know.  I do know that he has been a below average DE this year and we have someone that is playing much better on the bench behind him.  

Carlos has long run hot and cold.  If this motivates him to play harder, all the better.  
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 03:29 PM)J24 Wrote: 2.) They could pulled him aside and told him before today. They had all Tuesday and Wednesday to do so.

This reeks of the Andy Dalton 'benching him on his birthday' BS. 

These are grown ass men, not kindergarten snowflakes that need to be reassured constantly. 

He's pissed and venting. So what. Get over it and play better. No one gets to keep a spot because of past years success.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
He is clearly upset. Dont really agree with how he's handling himself on camera over it but it is what it is. Hopefully he digs deep and finds a way to accept this and let it motivate him instead of upset him so bad. Its not like he wont play, sheesh.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 04:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Cutting a non-elite 32-year-old to save $11.25m in cap space is a pretty easy call as far as cap allocation goes.

[Image: 4htv8z.jpg]

Well......we saw with Green, this FO doesn't operate on the norm.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 03:56 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This isn't Marvin's Bengals anymore.... the best players play. That's what everyone wanted, right? If 'Los wants his starting gig back, there's one way to get it back, go out and take it back. Stop whining. He's been whining since he got kicked out of the park.

Pretty much sums it up.  You can be butthurt about how it was handled, but only one way to give the middle finger back...
Reply/Quote
And he even said he thought the gameplan for this week was a good one and wants to be part of it, until he said it was "madness" that he's not starting.... what is it Carlos, a good game plan or madness?
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 04:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Now the question becomes how does he respond. Does he respond as an adult and go out, use this as motivation to get his job back, or does he go to the bench and pout like Kaeperdick.

REPORTER: "Carlos, we noticed you on the ground on your stomach kicking your feet back and forth during the national anthem. Was that because you got benched?"

DUNLAP: "Uhhhhh, I was protesting."

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 04:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If they were ever to come into a game with that kind of plan (switching up to a 34--or anything drastic or different than they normally do) i'd probably poop my pants and then either faint or die. 

Ugh. I feel bad for whoever finds your corpse. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
1) Dunlap deserves benched.

2) The coaches not telling him personally was completely classless and unprofessional. It will make other guys not want to play for you.
Reply/Quote