Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Be Hatin!
ESPN be hatin! I see no way that we don't atleast rank in the same position as we finished last year. But, with Glenn, Price, Brown...I think we've atleast improved some.

NFL Power Rankings: Who's rising, falling after the draft

29. Cincinnati Bengals
2017 record: 7-9
Post-free-agency ranking: 22

Each of the past three first-round picks by the Bengals played fewer than 100 snaps in his rookie season, and only one of the drafted players logged at least 50 percent of the team's offensive or defensive snaps his rookie season. This year could be different, though, as first-round pick Billy Price is likely to be the starting center.
Reply/Quote
We're a sneaky Superbowl contender if healthy. Good pass rush, improved offensive line, good secondary, good QB , and good offensive weapons. ESPN doesn't like Dalton so that's why they have us so low.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Yo nobody probably had the Iggles winning the SB too! I feel ya!
Reply/Quote
I think our path to the SB goes through Mixon. We need him to have a year like Elliott did a couple years ago. It's possible.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 02:00 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We're a sneaky Superbowl contender if healthy. Good pass rush, improved offensive line,  good secondary,  good QB , and good offensive  weapons.  ESPN doesn't like Dalton so that's why they have us so low.

Ill go meh on that No one knows how good our offensive line is going to be. For all we know it could be worse than last year. A lot of unknown variables. 

Our run defense and linebackers are still weak.

I think the Bengals will be around 7-8 wins. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Not surprised really. ESPN only caters to big market teams.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 02:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ill go meh on that No one knows how good our offensive line is going to be. For all we know it could be worse than last year. A lot of unknown variables. 

hard to be worse than the worst
Reply/Quote
I could see 10-11 wins if everything goes well and that means a healthy Glenn and Eifert.

I'd say our floor is 7-8 wins if we get some injuries.

Our roster was pretty bad last year and we won what 7 games? It's definitely somewhat improved.

The best thing we have going for us is new blocking scheme that's aggressive meaning same players may perform better. And new DC meaning hopefully no weak Zone.

We do have the same coach and GM at the helm that's 0-7 in the playoffs though.
Reply/Quote
I mean, did you see us last year?
We had the worst offense in the NFL in terms of  yards, the 7th worst in terms of points, the 4th worst 3rd down conversion rate, the 4th fewest yards per carry, the 3rd fewest rushing touchdowns, 2nd fewest rush yards per game, the 6th worst giveaway/takeaway differential and we were middle of the road defensively.

We only got 7 wins when we had 2 games against Cleveland, a game against Indianapolis and a game against Denver.

Basically, we had a total of 3 quality wins, 2 of which were in the last two weeks when they meant nothing other than playing spoiler haha.

I have high hopes for this team and, with their dedication to fixing the Oline, I believe we will surprise people but, if I remove my bias towards them, I would not really expect them to do much more than they did last year this year.

And while we improved so did a lot of teams. For example, Denver now actually has a QB and a new great pass rusher to pair with their already great pass rush. Other teams at the bottom also added some exciting pieces that should help them get better this year. We aren't the only team that improved and we didn't even make any massive changes that would generate buzz in the media that has to balance 32 different fan bases. We replaced players that never would have started on other teams in the first place.

I think 29 is a bit harsh. I think a more reasonable ranking would be around 22 to 25. But that's just media bias against a team that hasn't done anything noteworthy in almost 30 years.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 02:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ill go meh on that No one knows how good our offensive line is going to be. For all we know it could be worse than last year. A lot of unknown variables. 

Glenn and price should make our offensive line a lot better now it might not be great but it should be serviceable at the least. I don't get how it could be worse if all parts are healthy.
Run Defense should be improved with the Brown and baker additions to the front 7 as well. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 02:17 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: And while we improved so did a lot of teams. For example, Denver now actually has a QB and a new great pass rusher to pair with their already great pass rush. 

The Broncos also lost one of the best CBs in the league (Talib) and their leading rusher (Anderson).

You can't just look at additions and ignore the losses.

We've lost no one of value and made solid additions.  I don't see how we could have gotten worse.
Reply/Quote
Cleveland being better is somewhat of a variable. I don't know that they're gimme wins anymore, but we should beat them.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Broncos also lost one of the best CBs in the league (Talib) and their leading rusher (Anderson).

You can't just look at additions and ignore the losses.

We've lost no one of value and made solid additions.  I don't see how we could have gotten worse.

I don't think we got worse. We clearly improved. But you could make an argument for us not improving as much as those that ended in the same approximate area as us.
Reply/Quote
This power ranking cited the last 3 years drafts, which basically makes this opinion invalid to me because this ranking is supposed to be after this draft. Then it only mentioned Billy Price on top of that. Other teams though he mentioned more than just 1 draft pick.

But to put us below the Bears, Jets, Giants, and Bucs just shows not how biased it is towards the Bengals, but the relative ignorance of them as well.

That said, I would have us around the 20-23 range at most entering the season right now. If both coordinators are better than the previous ones, the new o-line coach makes a difference, players like Eifert stay healthy, then there is no reason they shouldnt win 2-3 more games this season setting them up for a playoff berth.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think it’s all justified until proven on the field. On paper we’re improved. Until it’s demonstrated it’s all just speculation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 02:50 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I think it’s all justified until proven on the field.  On paper we’re improved.  Until it’s demonstrated it’s all just speculation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okay but then apply that logic around the rest of the league.
Reply/Quote
ESPN be trippin'
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Almost every post draft ranking I've seen has the Bengals in the bottom 5. I'm confused as to why, but I've been know to see this team through rose colored glasses before the stark reality of a losing season slaps me in the face. But i see...

A slightly above average QB who played at an MVP level just 2 seasons ago

A young dynamic back, with a shifty proven backup

An elite WR, a 1st round pick, and a few promising Young's at WR

An elite TE when healthy and a backup who played well last year

A good LT, 1st round center, above average left guard. Right side of the line is a big question mark

An elite HOF level DT, an excellent DE an bevy of young players on the DL. An edge rusher in Lawson who flashed at times Von Miller like in season one for him

A LB core that has 2 proven vets and some young guys battling for the 3rd spot

A CB who has shown he can be elite and looks to take that step this year. Multiple veteran corners.

Two average safeties and a 2nd round pick...

Not a ton of holes and a good mix of solid vets and up and comers..Maybe I'm delusional but this looks like a 10-6 team and maybe better if some of the young guys who have a question mark next to their name step up. Talking Billings, Willis, Ross, Boyd, Malone, Vigil, and Fisher
Reply/Quote
We are better than last year no doubt. I see at least 9 wins this year. We mainly dont get the credit we deserve because of the owner and HC. Even though they have went outside their comfort zone this year to make it better, it's still Mike and Marv.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 02:17 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I mean, did you see us last year?
We had the worst offense in the NFL in terms of  yards, the 7th worst in terms of points, the 4th worst 3rd down conversion rate, the 4th fewest yards per carry, the 3rd fewest rushing touchdowns, 2nd fewest rush yards per game, the 6th worst giveaway/takeaway differential and we were middle of the road defensively.

We only got 7 wins when we had 2 games against Cleveland, a game against Indianapolis and a game against Denver.

Basically, we had a total of 3 quality wins, 2 of which were in the last two weeks when they meant nothing other than playing spoiler haha.

I have high hopes for this team and, with their dedication to fixing the Oline, I believe we will surprise people but, if I remove my bias towards them, I would not really expect them to do much more than they did last year this year.

And while we improved so did a lot of teams. For example, Denver now actually has a QB and a new great pass rusher to pair with their already great pass rush. Other teams at the bottom also added some exciting pieces that should help them get better this year. We aren't the only team that improved and we didn't even make any massive changes that would generate buzz in the media that has to balance 32 different fan bases. We replaced players that never would have started on other teams in the first place.

I think 29 is a bit harsh. I think a more reasonable ranking would be around 22 to 25. But that's just media bias against a team that hasn't done anything noteworthy in almost 30 years.

I think 29 is ridiculous and 22 to 25 is what we should be ranked if no problems were fixed. That's where a 7-9 team belongs. This team was clearly torpedoed by an abysmal o-line. We respond by bringing in one of the best o-line coaches (based on success) in the NFL, trading for a top 10 LT and taking a stud C in the draft. 

Yes the offense put up atrocious numbers last year, but you have to consider things. For one, we changed OC's on the fly and Lazor had no chance to install his own system. Second, the o-line clearly wrecked everything. This team has the pieces and established QB to be successful on offense. The offense - because of the o-line - also did the defense no favors. They did struggle on 3rd downs, but again, the talent is there. This includes emerging young players in WJ3 and Carl Lawson.

There are 12 playoff teams every year. I'd start the Bengals out in the 16-19 range with plenty of room to move up. Even with that league-worst line, this team still managed 7 wins. We didn't go 3-13. I see this as a playoff caliber roster that got derailed by terrible line play. We mostly fixed that on paper. 

I don't think any team on our level or below us last year improved as much as we did, and I don't think any non-playoff team had one problem that clearly sank them like we did. It was pretty clear what was holding us back. Even Marv (who normally doesn't publically criticize players) said as much:

Quote:“Ced’s had two seasons, basically, and it’s just not been exactly where we need it to be,” Lewis told the Cincinnati Enquirer. “That’s held us back.”

It wasn't just Ogbuehi. It was Bodine as well. We took 2 major weaknesses on the line and probably turned them into strengths. I don't think it's homerism to suggest that could have a major impact, and lead us from 7 wins back to 10-11 wins.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote