Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Insider ranks Bengals #2 receiving corps in the NFL
I'm sure with Luck throwing balls, any squad of scrubs would look good.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 10:06 PM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: You'll do whatever you can to spin this into a knock on Dalton.

I picture Corner Blitz, Utts, Wes Mantooth and Rhinoceros 23 all sitting around in a circle jerk and each using his free hand to stab a Dalton voodoo doll in the middle of their circle as they all chant anti Dalton mantras together.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 07:09 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: It had nothing to do with the fact we had everyone hurt right? Just ignore that Sanu was our #1 receiver that game, and Hill wasn't the starter yet in the first one. In the second game it was the same, but even more injuries with Gresham out. I don't like Gresham, but at least he's a good blocker. Gresham is better than a TE that just came from working in a car dealership.

Luck didn't play against our offense.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
If they're talking about potential, I could understand maybe top 5. Saying what we have now has proven itself to be the 2nd best is just kind of silly.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 04:54 PM)spazz70 Wrote: if both of these guys were healthy in 2014 do you think things may have been different??

Different? Sure. Win a playoff game different? Probably not.

Obviously they are better than the guys behind them on the depth chart, but it remains to be seen how good. My only point is I can't agree with this being the #2 group in the league based on incomplete data.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:38 AM)Sweetness Wrote: If they're talking about potential, I could understand maybe top 5. Saying what we have now has proven itself to be the 2nd best is just kind of silly.

Exactly.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 08:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As a receiver, true.  But I think Hill will mean more to the balance of this offense and its overall success in the postseason, should they be able to qualify again. 

Agreed. I was only addressing the receivers. Hill will be huge
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 08:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think you might be forgetting somebody

Well of course, but there are a number of teams with a #1 of that caliber. It's the rest of the bunch that is the big differentiator IMO. Our group looks to have gobs of potential, but still need to produce complete seasons to prove themselves.
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure they are saying that they are the second most talented group. That doesn't mean they will be the second ranked. Those other teams have actual leaders at QB.

Us..... not so much.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 09:57 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Oh I was just talking about high balls in general. In theory, those are usually the kinds of passes that can get a receiver blown up. Whether there was a defender in position to kill the guy or not, Andy consistently throwing high is a concern for the fact that in the future there COULD be a guy there ready to punish them.

I'm not too worried about it unless it becomes consistent in more than just 1 random preseason game, but that was probably the most eye opening, negative thing about Andy's play from the other night.

Yep. It's been stated a few times that Dalton sails the ball, when he's off. It's usually in the "important" games; playoffs and primetime. Boomer had the same problem, but for a different reason. He had a bazooka for an arm and there were times he'd wind up and look like he was trying to throw it through a wall. Though you could probably claim both did it for the same reason; they were too "amped up" and trying to put a little extra on it. I think and you'd hope that with more experience, he'd be able to corral that and settle in better, early in games. 

In any event, i've thought the same thing on several occasions. I kind of tense up a bit when you see it start to sail because i'm waiting for someone to get crushed.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:53 AM)Beaker Wrote: I picture Corner Blitz, Utts, Wes Mantooth and Rhinoceros 23 all sitting around in a circle jerk and each using his free hand to stab a Dalton voodoo doll in the middle of their circle as they all chant anti Dalton mantras together.

Wow Beaker you have a vivid imagination...posting your sexual desires and fantasies for all to see takes a lot of courage. [Image: Smilies_Sick.gif]

You may be up for an ESPY if you continue to express your submissive desires to fantasise about dominant bulls. You are quite the deviant sub. Dream on my friend, I hope it brings you the satisfaction you have been searching for  !:crazy:
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:46 AM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: Wow Beaker you have a vivid imagination...posting your sexual desires and fantasies for all to see takes a lot of courage. [Image: Smilies_Sick.gif]

You may be up for an ESPY if you continue to express your submissive desires to fantasise about dominant bulls. You are quite the deviant sub. Dream on my friend, I hope it brings you the satisfaction you have been searching for  !:crazy:

Those who protest the loudest....
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't call our corps anything near #2. Part of the reason is that there really is no depth (as we learned last season). After AJ and Marvin the WR quality goes off a cliff, including Mr. "lead the NFL in dropped passes" Sanu. Another reason (and the TB game announcers actually went into this in a bit of depth) is our receivers (including AJ) don't necessarily play the WR position technically well. They tend towards mistakes in running their routes, fail to come back to the ball and also fail to turn into a DB when needed to stop the turnover.

An example of a receiver we had who did do all that right was TJ. He read the ball properly, went up into traffic to get it and when needed did what had to be done to prevent an INT. Receivers playing nowadays who do that include Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Anquan Boldin, TY Hilton (taught by Wayne), Jordy Nelson and others. It's also what made Jerry Rice the all time great WR despite his not having the best speed - his technical play of the position was without peer.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 03:13 PM)Joelist Wrote: I wouldn't call our corps anything near #2. Part of the reason is that there really is no depth (as we learned last season). After AJ and Marvin the WR quality goes off a cliff, including Mr. "lead the NFL in dropped passes" Sanu. Another reason (and the TB game announcers actually went into this in a bit of depth) is our receivers (including AJ) don't necessarily play the WR position technically well. They tend towards mistakes in running their routes, fail to come back to the ball and also fail to turn into a DB when needed to stop the turnover.

An example of a receiver we had who did do all that right was TJ. He read the ball properly, went up into traffic to get it and when needed did what had to be done to prevent an INT. Receivers playing nowadays who do that include Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Anquan Boldin, TY Hilton (taught by Wayne), Jordy Nelson and others. It's also what made Jerry Rice the all time great WR despite his not having the best speed - his technical play of the position was without peer.

We aren't just comparing receivers in a vacuum though.

Sanu isn't the guy you want to be your #1/#2, but he's definitely the type of guy that you want to be your slot receiver/WR3/guy that sees the 4-5th most targets.

I do find it funny that you always cry that our receivers are "running the wrong routes" while you're one of the biggest apologists for other players on the team. MLJ and Sanu both play the position just fine from a technicality standpoint, and A.J. isn't far behind them. But hey, I guess if we just throw out some names of some of the best technical receivers of all time that it will obviously make our #2/3/4/5 receivers look a lot worse, nice strategy there Rolleyes

This is just stupid. It's like saying that Gio can't be considered a good backup because Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, and Barry Sanders have done certain things better than him. Silly argument is silly.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:38 AM)Sweetness Wrote: If they're talking about potential, I could understand maybe top 5. Saying what we have now has proven itself to be the 2nd best is just kind of silly.

I agree with this.

We will see, looks good as far as potential goes but the stable needs to stay healthy and perform.
Reply/Quote
Why are the Bears on there? Tampa has a much better 1 and 2 right now.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 08:52 AM)djs7685 Wrote: We aren't just comparing receivers in a vacuum though.

Sanu isn't the guy you want to be your #1/#2, but he's definitely the type of guy that you want to be your slot receiver/WR3/guy that sees the 4-5th most targets.

I do find it funny that you always cry that our receivers are "running the wrong routes" while you're one of the biggest apologists for other players on the team. MLJ and Sanu both play the position just fine from a technicality standpoint, and A.J. isn't far behind them. But hey, I guess if we just throw out some names of some of the best technical receivers of all time that it will obviously make our #2/3/4/5 receivers look a lot worse, nice strategy there Rolleyes

This is just stupid. It's like saying that Gio can't be considered a good backup because Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, and Barry Sanders have done certain things better than him. Silly argument is silly.

Actually if you could take off the anti-Andy glasses for just a little bit you would see that I am far from alone in calling out our receivers for issues with running correct routes and playing the ball correctly. For example, it wasn't by pure chance that NFLN had an entire screenshow ready with AJ Green screw-ups. And they mentioned our other WRs too. So, no they do NOT play the position "just fine" from a technical standpoint. For example, having our "possession" WR lead the NFL in drops should concern anyone.

I think that speaking in terms of physical skills we have a great core of WRs. But they BADLY need to be coached up to play the position well also. And really the last time we had a WR group that WAS properly coached up was when Urban coached up Chad and TJ and Slim.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:53 AM)Beaker Wrote: I picture Corner Blitz, Utts, Wes Mantooth and Rhinoceros 23 all sitting around in a circle jerk and each using his free hand to stab a Dalton voodoo doll in the middle of their circle as they all chant anti Dalton mantras together.

You're into some weird shit.  Picturing a circle jerk mixed with voodoo might be more of a you problem and less of a negativity issue.

Look, I think Time Warner sucks.  I do.  Not only do I find that I disagree with much of what they do, but I generally dislike them as well.  Yet I don't imagine them in hom0-erotic scenarios, sprinkled with a dash of the dark arts, in my head.  That's just weird.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 11:02 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually if you could take off the anti-Andy glasses for just a little bit you would see that I am far from alone in calling out our receivers for issues with running correct routes and playing the ball correctly. For example, it wasn't by pure chance that NFLN had an entire screenshow ready with AJ Green screw-ups. And they mentioned our other WRs too. So, no they do NOT play the position "just fine" from a technical standpoint. For example, having our "possession" WR lead the NFL in drops should concern anyone.

I think that speaking in terms of physical skills we have a great core of WRs. But they BADLY need to be coached up to play the position well also. And really the last time we had a WR group that WAS properly coached up was when Urban coached up Chad and TJ and Slim.

I have no "anti-Andy" glasses, I just call things like I see it. The only people on here that regularly call out our receivers are the few that are extremist pro-Andy. I doubt that's much of a coincidence.

Pure chance? Do you know how much shit professional broadcasting services have ready to go at the press of a button? Apparently not.

Sorry, but I can't take anything you say seriously when you REFUSE to ever say a negative word about Andy, yet you constantly bash the rest of the team. Saying that MLJ doesn't play the position technically sound is just amusing. Sanu drops some passes and you don't want his skillset at #1/2 but is a great #3/4 receiver otherwise. Reading your bullshit through the game day threads and now the chat box is hilarious, you're the biggest whiner when it comes to 52 players on the team and any coaches possible. There's only 1 player you don't criticize, yet you're going to play the game where you call someone else biased?

I have no problem talking about the legitimate negatives of our receivers, but you are never willing to talk about Andy's flaws and you refuse to give the WRs credit when they deserve it. I guess I'M the one with the bias though Rolleyes According to you, our o-line and receivers aren't that good, so why does 98% of the football world tend to disagree with you?
Reply/Quote