Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ESPN Saying Bengals to tag Green
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28815686/bengals-plan-use-franchise-tag-receiver-aj-green

I say good move to buy time and try and get long term deal done by July 15th, if not 1 year to see if he can stay healthy.

No better WR in the 2020 draft we can get in round 2 or later is my opinion
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I really don't care what it takes... I want AJ Green on this roster this season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Fine with me. We’re not fixing the OL in one offseason, but at least Burrow will have some good WR’s.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 05:04 PM)jason Wrote: I really don't care what it takes... I want AJ Green on this roster this season.
I agree. I also agree that its smart of the Bengals to keep AJ from being snagged on day 1-3 when FA opens. I think AJ and the Bengals will come to an agreement on a contract...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I'm good with tagging him. I just hope that they use that time from now, until July 15th (or whatever the day is) to come to an agreement on something a little more permanent, like a 3 year deal that would most likely allow AJ to retire having played his entire career as a Bengal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 05:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm good with tagging him.  I just hope that they use that time from now, until July 15th (or whatever the day is) to come to an agreement on something a little more permanent, like a 3 year deal that would most likely allow AJ to retire having played his entire career as a Bengal.

Yes sir. Tag him and work on a multiple year deal. Better for everyone. 

But have to take into account his injury history. Cannot just act like AJ has been healthy the last 24 games.

The number one ability is availability.
Reply/Quote
Don't get me wrong I love AJ but that is a steep price for an older wr that hasn't produced for a couple years. I would rather take that money and get a top tier LB, and an above average guard. Then use the 2nd pick for a young wr from this great reciever draft to build the Burrow era with. Just my opinion but that would be my rebuild strategy.
Reply/Quote
Its unfortunate but fair. Green is still getting a bucket of money and the team doesn't get locked into anything long term.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 05:38 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Don't get me wrong I love AJ but that is a steep price for an older wr that hasn't produced for a couple years. I would rather take that money and get a top tier LB, and an above average guard. Then use the 2nd pick for a young wr from this great reciever draft to build the Burrow era with. Just my opinion but that would be my rebuild strategy.

They can still work on a deal that is better for everyone so we can do what you say here.

It is just making sure AJ doesn't hit FA which in my opinion is what HAD to be done.

We didn't want to get into a bidding war that we would most likely lose. This prevents this.
Reply/Quote
I love AJ and I'm glad that he'll be a Bengal this year for sure (assuming that this tag story is real, which I also saw).

What I don't get is why AJ would be upset about the tag. I can understand younger players because they want long-term security, but Green is going to be 32 by the time the season starts and has been injured the past two years, so does he really think any other team is going to offer him 18.5 million a year?

I get it that he might want long-term security, but after he has been injured the past two seasons, I'd say getting 18.5 with a new young superstar qb throwing him the ball would be the best business move for him, especially with the probability of working out a long-term deal, because no other franchise will throw that kind of money at him.

A long-term deal should have clauses about staying healthy and bonuses based on performance, imco.
Reply/Quote
Local media has been saying that since the end of last season It isn't a great surprise

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 04:07 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28815686/bengals-plan-use-franchise-tag-receiver-aj-green

I say good move to buy time and try and get long term deal done by July 15th, if not 1 year to see if he can stay healthy.

No better WR in the 2020 draft we can get in round 2 or later is my opinion

I was against this originally because he's been injured a lot, but this makes me think that they are definitely taking Burrow and want Green there to work with him.
Reply/Quote
How is this news? ESPN is really quick out of the gate on this one..... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
They almost have to franchise him. If he gets overly disgruntled about it, maybe they could move him after signing. I doubt he will.

AJ is an all-time great Bengal and almost everyone wants things to go well for him here.

He does, however, unlike he tells people, have quite a bit to prove right now. He needs to show that he can remain healthy enough to get on the field, much less play at his typical high level. There's just no way I'd be comfortable giving him 17 mil per for 3 years without seeing him play again. Everyone gets to see what he can do now, hopefully.

The team is in a tight spot with him. I have 0.0 doubt that they would have signed him to a huge extension had he not been injured this summer. With the situation being what it is, the tag protects the team. If they let him walk and he goes on to play like a top 10 WR, they look bad. If they sign him to a gigantic deal and he plays 5 games a year for the next 3 seasons, they look even worse. The tag is a distasteful but necessary option.
Reply/Quote
If we franchise him but don't sign him long term I'd be very interested in drafting whichever first round WR falls to 33.

I'd love to see Jefferson, Shenault or Higgins at that slot. Aiyuk is interesting but he doesn't seem to have any elite physical traits so I'd be less eager to spend 33 on him (but should absolutely love him at 65).

That is, assuming we actually fill 1 need in free agency (and not with a John Miller type free agent, but more like a Joe Schobert type free agent).

If we don't sign any solid starters in free agency, we may need to just draft for need at 33, unfortunately...

But then again, if we don't do anything in free agency this year when we have like 80 million dollars in cap space (after expected/hoped for cuts and trades)...then we're pretty much screwed regardless so I may just take the WR anyway haha.
Reply/Quote
They have money to spend to get a long deal done. Hopefully they just tag him now. After the draft they can get a 3 yr deal done. He was getting 15M last year.
Reply/Quote
I think this is the best scenario. We don't really know what AJ is going to look like after injuries, so we'll get a peek for a year and have him around to give Burrow a solid weapon. If he looks back to form, try and re-up him, if not, let him go.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
About a month ago Ken Broo said he thought the Bengals were not going to tag AJ and let him test the free market, guess he was wrong. I think by tagging AJ, Mike and Katie are trying to get AJ and his agent to the table where they will be more than fair with them.
Reply/Quote
Tag him and unless he takes a team friendly deal make him play a full year before giving him a huge deal.

If we trade him it would be like when the Reds traded Chapman. The absolute worst time to trade a stud when their value is at its lowest. The WR class is loaded and we haven’t seen him play in over a year. I don’t see teams handing over big money and top picks when they could just draft one of these young guys who are healthy and cheap.
Reply/Quote
Tag him and trade him for a 2nd round pick.

Sorry I love the guy and hope he comes back healthy but odds are against him and this franchise. Get what you can and get a talented rookie in this deep WR class.

I don't believe AJ will be around for our next playoff run. Too many miles on the body.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote