Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Stephen Smith on Bengals Coaching Search
While we obviously do not know what was said behind closed doors, Marv's public comments about Hue were in response to a specific question about him deserving a chance. It wasn't like he told the media he wanted Hue to replace him. He spoke of Hue's positive qualities. It was not an endorsement for the team to hire him. I suspect he would have said positive things about Lazor or Simmons if asked about them.

National media set their company line about the Bengals 20 years ago. Until we win in the post season, or Mike Brown dies, they won't change. We will always be a screwed up franchise without the trainwreck enjoyment or long "gloried" histories of other struggling teams. Just imagine what they would be saying about our team if the Steeler's soap opera was taking place here.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: No one outside of probably 3 people on earth even know who will pick our HC.  I see lots of us fans trying to convince ourselves that Mike Brown has seen the light at the age of 84 and is finally yielding the final say.

Who knows the truth.  Its not for us to know.  Other fans, maybe.  Us?  Nope.  

We hope Mike Brown stops bring Mike Brown like Bears fans yesterday hoped Cody Parkey was done hitting the upright.  Fingers crossed

Well he did yield to Katie and Troy by going with Marvin. Remember his pick was Coughlin.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I get that, I just get irritated at stuff that gets parroted with no truth to it.....

(01-07-2019, 05:45 PM)McC Wrote: Not really.  He just loves the sound of his own voice.  Stephen A. has one agenda--Stephen A.

He is an idiot who makes a living by making exaggerated comments, irrespective of justification and devoid of verifiable facts.

These TV shock jocks cause enough agitation to get a response from fan base, to justify their miserable existence.

They are sycophantic parasites who play on fan emotions.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 06:33 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Well he did yield to Katie and Troy by going with Marvin. Remember his pick was Coughlin.

True.  I still think Marvin was an easier hire because Coughlin made more demands.  I think MB wants the best coach and wants to win a SB but he wants his way even more.

I think MB wanted a complicit version of Coughlin that doesn't exist more than he wanted the Coughlin that does exist.  I'm no insider though, so its just an assumption on my part.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 06:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True.  I still think Marvin was an easier hire because Coughlin made more demands.  I think MB wants the best coach and wants to win a SB but he wants his way even more.

I think MB wanted a complicit version of Coughlin that doesn't exist more than he wanted the Coughlin that does exist.  I'm no insider though, so its just an assumption on my part.

Ask Sam Wyche about Mike wanting things "his way"
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 06:36 PM)XsandOs Wrote: He is an idiot who makes a living by making exaggerated comments, irrespective of justification and devoid of verifiable facts.

These TV shock jocks cause enough agitation to get a response from fan base, to justify their miserable existence.

They are sycophantic parasites who play on fan emotions.

Well said and ESPN has tons of these guys but i think Stephen A is the most annoying.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 07:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well said and ESPN has tons of these guys but i think Stephen A is the most annoying.

Why does he have to yell? And right now, he is telling anyone who'll listen that he got Marvin fired.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 07:25 PM)McC Wrote: Why does he have to yell? And right now, he is telling anyone who'll listen that he got Marvin fired.

Annoying bastid no doubt.

Just full of himself.
Reply/Quote
At least someone is bothering to talk about the bengals. There is a decent chance we hire a HC that leads to the sports blatherers ignoring us completely for years at a time, again.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: In the past.....he's certainly been right.  Here's to hoping change is on the horizon, it's all we really ever have under Scrooge.

Steven A. Smith gets paid a ton of money to know what he's talking about and keep up with things.

Shoot, WE keep up with things and we're just the part time unpaid help.

It's been a long time since the Bengals were that cheap.

They make some ill advised decisions for sure, but guys like Steven A tick me off because they shoot their mouths off without doing their due diligence and have the arrogance of someone who actually has a well informed opinion.

He's just an overinflated windbag.  And he's not the only one.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 06:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ask Sam Wyche about Mike wanting things "his way"

I'm still wondering who was the whicky whacky one that misconstrued what happened in that meeting.

But I know who I'd lay my money on...
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:22 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Do you mean Stephen A. Smith?

Nope... The guy who played for the Miami Heat and Atlanta Hawks a ways back.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Breaking News! Stephen A. Smith is still a blowhard who fabricates material, when there is nothing real to talk about. Are we supposed to be mystified of his retelling of all things obvious? Things that the actual fans of the team have been talking about on here, for as long as I've been around these boards.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:08 PM)kevin Wrote: Stephen Smith says he isn't saying Marvin Lewis isn't a good coach or Hue Jackson isn't a good coach.  He understands how bad Bengals were when Marvin Lewis came in, he gets that.  Still he says when a coach goes from 2003 to 2018 without winning a play-off game, any other franchise would have fired him 5 years ago.  It sends a message by Bengals owners to the Fans that they are not striving for excellence. That mediocrity is accepted. That the Bengals Fans can just shut up and pay their money no matter how bad the team is.  So Marvin should have been gone a long time ago.  As for Hue Jackson his 3 wins in 3 years at Cleveland does not earn him a head coaching job right away.  Marvin recommended him. To that Stephen Smith says Marvin couldn't win a play-off game, if I'm Bengals owners I don't want to hear a damn thing Marvin has to say about who replaces him.  When asked who Bengals will hire, he said the cheapest person and that is why they are the Bengals.

Now these are Stephen Smith words  on ESPN, not mine.  The video is on internet to watch. This is not an attack on The Fans.  In fact, he is saying Mike Brown needs to do more for the fans than what he is doing, but he doesn't expect much out of Mike Brown.

Never been or will be a fan of the modwrn yell louder than anyone else else know it all talking heads like Smith
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:08 PM)kevin Wrote: Stephen Smith says he isn't saying Marvin Lewis isn't a good coach or Hue Jackson isn't a good coach.  He understands how bad Bengals were when Marvin Lewis came in, he gets that.  Still he says when a coach goes from 2003 to 2018 without winning a play-off game, any other franchise would have fired him 5 years ago.  It sends a message by Bengals owners to the Fans that they are not striving for excellence. That mediocrity is accepted. That the Bengals Fans can just shut up and pay their money no matter how bad the team is.  So Marvin should have been gone a long time ago.  As for Hue Jackson his 3 wins in 3 years at Cleveland does not earn him a head coaching job right away.  Marvin recommended him. To that Stephen Smith says Marvin couldn't win a play-off game, if I'm Bengals owners I don't want to hear a damn thing Marvin has to say about who replaces him.  When asked who Bengals will hire, he said the cheapest person and that is why they are the Bengals.

Now these are Stephen Smith words  on ESPN, not mine.  The video is on internet to watch. This is not an attack on The Fans.  In fact, he is saying Mike Brown needs to do more for the fans than what he is doing, but he doesn't expect much out of Mike Brown.

Pretty much sums up how Bengals fans feel about Mike Brown. Any other GM with Mike Brown's record would have been fired more than 20 years ago. It's time for Mike Brown to walk away.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 12:49 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Pretty much sums up how Bengals fans feel about Mike Brown. Any other GM with Mike Brown's record would have been fired more than 20 years ago. It's time for Mike Brown to walk away.

Can you imagine the utter elation all of Bengaldom would feel if Mike Brown would announce his retirement ?
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 01:01 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Can you imagine the utter elation all of Bengaldom would feel if Mike Brown would announce his retirement ?

He will never retire, just out of spite.  It's possible he is deranged.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This is just the same tired crap everyone else who doesn't know what they are talking about spouts off. The Bengals pay their coaches well. In fact, Boomer was on the pre-game and they were talking about vacant HC jobs, and he was saying Cincinnati is the job to have because "you can come in here, make a lot of money, have relative job security for several years while you establish your system. If MB just wanted the cheapest coach, he would not have been paying Lewis as the 6th highest paid coach in the league.

Yep when he said whoever is cheapest, I knew he was just phoning it in.  Next he'll be saying they have the same problems with law enforcement that they had in 2006.  Whenever someone does this kind of report on the Bengals, it feels like they don't want to do their homework and want to get back on the golf course.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 07:25 PM)McC Wrote: Why does he have to yell? And right now, he is telling anyone who'll listen that he got Marvin fired.

(01-07-2019, 07:50 PM)3wt Wrote: Steven A. Smith gets paid a ton of money to know what he's talking about and keep up with things.

They make some ill advised decisions for sure, but guys like Steven A tick me off because they shoot their mouths off without doing their due diligence and have the arrogance of someone who actually has a well informed opinion.

Agreed!

Irrespective of what is said in the media, the Bengal HC gig is coveted.

When you take into consideration talent, division, strength of schedule, ownership structure, draft position, and decision making authority - it is difficult to definitively find a job that is better?

Whomever is lucky to get the job, will be doing cartwheels and thanking the Lord.

#%*€¥ Stephen Smith. It upsets me when people with zero knowledge of the basics of the game and what it takes to coach even a high school Team, are opining about a multi billion dollar organization.

We live in a distorted reality, I suppose.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 07:50 PM)3wt Wrote: Steven A. Smith gets paid a ton of money to know what he's talking about and keep up with things.

Yep, that's why I said in the past.  They're still stupid though.  When you've kept a guy around for 16 years without a playoff win, and you have a past like Son of Paul's, folks are gonna assume it's because it was a cheap option.

(01-07-2019, 07:56 PM)3wt Wrote: I'm still wondering who was the whicky whacky one that misconstrued what happened in that meeting.

But I know who I'd lay my money on...

It wasn't misconstrued, Mike fired Sam, then backpedaled and said he quit so he wouldn't have to pay the rest of his salary.  Best I remember, it was finally settled out of court.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote