Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Thinks Evans Could Have Been A Day 2 Pick!
(05-07-2021, 05:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Hubert is a PS guy most likely.

I was actually thinking about posting a thread about thoughts on the depth chart at DL. I admittedly didn’t know a ton about Hubert pre-draft, but he looks like a guy who could get snagged off the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 06:24 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: I was actually thinking about posting a thread about thoughts on the depth chart at DL.   I admittedly didn’t know a ton about Hubert pre-draft, but he looks like a guy who could get snagged off the practice squad.

I watched a couple of his games and he was pretty much KSU's only guy on D.  High motor guy.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 04:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Good grief, he's not supposedd to be a pass rusher. Like Peko (who many evidently couldn't understand his job) Shelvin's job will be to eat up space in the run lanes, take on the double team, and allow Ogunjobi or whoever is playing 3 t to rush the passer. If you didn't like day 3, I just can't understand that. They killed it on day 3.

Don't they already have like 3 of those guys? How many non-factors in pass rushing can you fit on one DL?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't mean to be a killjoy but this is old film. If you see Evans wearing #12, that's 2017 or 2018. Things were different then. He wore #9 last year. And as many of you know, he missed 2019 altogether.

I think the 12:9 ratio is actually quite fitting lol. He looked like he was about three-quarters of his former self in 2020 imo.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 07:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't they already have like 3 of those guys? How many non-factors in pass rushing can you fit on one DL?

Have to be able to stop the run as well...over 4,700 yards allowed on the ground over the past 2 years.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 08:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Have to be able to stop the run as well...over 4,700 yards allowed on the ground over the past 2 years.  Mellow

And even with 3 of those guys, they couldn't stop it. At that point it's not personnel, it's scheme and playcalling. No team needs 4 run stuffing DTs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 08:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And even with 3 of those guys, they couldn't stop it. At that point it's not personnel, it's scheme and playcalling. No team needs 4 run stuffing DTs.

Adding Shelvin to the mix should help. A full season of Reader should as well. At end, Hendrickson had a run grade of 54 last year, but had a 77 in 2019, so he may be able to provide a boost too.
Reply/Quote
ESPN also gave the Dolphins' 2017 Draft a B+, right afterword. (You can do your own research to see how that turned out..)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 07:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't they already have like 3 of those guys? How many non-factors in pass rushing can you fit on one DL?

Well there were a lot of people complaining, on here, last year we didn't have depth and the coaching staff didn't prepare for all the injuries.....
Not to mention there will probably be a couple that get weeded out. Competition is good.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Bengals killed day 3 of the draft, and when you look at it...McPherson will contribute immediately, while Sample and Shelvin will provide really nice depth and rotation possibilities, and they also have other 3 guys - Hill, Evans and and especially Smith - who could all easily fall into the 'day 3 gems' category as well. I like Hubert too, but he still needs quite a bit of technique/fundamentals work...and maybe an e-collar to keep him under control. LOL 

Well said Ol'boy!
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 04:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know his job isn't to rush the passer.
I felt a pass rushing DT was more of a need given the Bengals already had 3 NTs on the roster in Reader, Tupou, and Wren.
That's why I wasn't a big fan of the pick.

That's why we got Jobi in FA
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 06:32 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I watched a couple of his games and he was pretty much KSU's only guy on D.  High motor guy.

Agree...I love the fire he plays with. He’s a 7th rounder , but with some technique work and development, who knows. I would love for The Bengals to strike gold on a late rounder or UDFA like that.
Reply/Quote
Im glad I dont follow College Football, so when they (draftees) all arrive and put on that Bengal uniform and play, I dont give a **** what they did or didnt do in college, they start at 0 with me as a Bengal. So I think I'm a lot less biased than those who follow a particular player through college and become attached to them to some degree.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 09:07 PM)sandwedge Wrote: That's why we got Jobi in FA

Who is here for only one year and had no more than 5.5 sacks in a season.
I'd prefer a 3T who is here longer and more potential as a pass rusher.
I like Ogunjobi as a stopgap, but not really as a long-term starter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 05:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Though he has not played hardly at all, my understanding is the Wren is an uber-athletic 3T.
His athleticism/explosiveness grades when we drafted him were off the charts.

He has serious upside. I could see us keeping 6 DTs and 4 DEs. 

DE: Hendrickson, Hubbard; Ossai, C. Sample
NT: Reader, Shelvin, Tupou
DT: Ogunjobi, Daniels, Wren

Kareem is the only other DE that we should consider keeping on the 53 (Bledsoe, Akinmoladun). Hubert is a PS guy most likely. McKenzie was an emergency signing last year. Don't know much about Hodge or A. Williams.

Wren has some serious development he has to do.
He's been active for 11 games and only 8 tackles.
They won't keep 6 DTs. That's way too many.
Tupou or Wren will be cut as long as there are no injuries.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:14 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Im glad I dont follow College Football, so when they (draftees) all arrive and put on that Bengal uniform and play, I dont give a **** what they did or didnt do in college, they start at 0 with me as a Bengal. So I think I'm a lot less biased than those who follow a particular player through college and become attached to them to some degree.

Likewise, I don't follow the sport and only watch a couple of late season games once it becomes clear as to which players the Bengals are targeting with a high draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Who is here for only one year and had no more than 5.5 sacks in a season.
I'd prefer a 3T who is here longer and more potential as a pass rusher.
I like Ogunjobi as a stopgap, but not really as a long-term starter.

My understanding was Cleveland had him NT most time. He could be long term.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 05:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure would be cool if Wren started to come around. Haven't seen anything from him yet. Liked the pick at first.

If he hasn’t done it yet, I have little faith he is going to. Never understood the hype on Wren, he’s never show anything IMO. We overvalue guys like Wren and Tupou... they aren’t even average players. Time for some new blood.
Reply/Quote

Last few seasons it seems most of our defense is just taking up space...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 10:05 AM)sandwedge Wrote: My understanding was Cleveland had him NT most time. He could be long term.

I believe the NT thing was just last year, not the two years he put up 5.5 sacks each season.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote