Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Thinks Evans Could Have Been A Day 2 Pick!
(05-07-2021, 08:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Have to be able to stop the run as well...over 4,700 yards allowed on the ground over the past 2 years.  Mellow

While correct, a smart offense will see having multiple NTs out there and end up running outside or passing the ball, making those NTs less effective.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 12:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I believe the NT thing was just last year, not the two years he put up 5.5 sacks each season.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

99% sure that's right because I remember posting how excited I was that we got him and I mentioned the same thing you did and that he'd be an animal back at his natural position.

I hope we're smart enough to get a solid rotation going because Jobi and our young guys could cause some damage!
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 12:57 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: 99% sure that's right because I remember posting how excited I was that we got him and I mentioned the same thing you did and that he'd be an animal back at his natural position.

I hope we're smart enough to get a solid rotation going because Jobi and our young guys could cause some damage!

I think my nervousness with these 1-year deals is neither Ogunjobi nor Reiff will re-sign.
I would hope though there would be a consideration to re-sign if they do well.
But it would require the Bengals being willing to give good market value, not undercutting hoping that they take a loyalty discount.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Evans can be good change of pace rb. Keep an eye on Pooka Williams. Dude is slippery in open field. T. Williams will have a battle this off season.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 08:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And even with 3 of those guys, they couldn't stop it. At that point it's not personnel, it's scheme and playcalling. No team needs 4 run stuffing DTs.

Eh, you are a great poster TLL but you also thought we should just ignore the Defense cause Lou sucks.

We need as many run stoppers as we can get, I hate to get run on. Worst thing in the world in my eyes.

Shelvin is a great pick for us.

We needed to stop the run and get after the passer, Shelvin, Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Ossai, Cam and Hubert should help do this.

(05-08-2021, 11:44 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If he hasn’t done it yet, I have little faith he is going to. Never understood the hype on Wren, he’s never show anything IMO. We overvalue guys like Wren and Tupou... they aren’t even average players. Time for some new blood.

Tupou was pretty good the year before last at stopping the run with Billings, but yeah, agree on Wren.

As I have said many times, looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane is ole Mount Wren.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, you are a great poster TLL but you also thought we should just ignore the Defense cause Lou sucks.

We need as many run stoppers as we can get, I hate to get run on. Worst thing in the world in my eyes.

Shelvin is a great pick for us.

We needed to stop the run and get after the passer, Shelvin, Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Ossai, Cam and Hubert should help do this.

Tupou was pretty good the year before last at stopping the run with Billings, but yeah, agree on Wren.

As I have said many times, looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane is ole Mount Wren.

Establishing the run is the easiest way to win a game, even in a passing league.

It makes it more difficult to defend the pass, keeps the chains moving, eats the clock, sets the tone, allows your defense more time to rest, and allows you to control the game/pace of play.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 03:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Establishing the run is the easiest way to win a game, even in a passing league.

It makes it more difficult to defend the pass, keeps the chains moving, eats the clock, sets the tone, allows your defense more time to rest, and allows you to control the game/pace of play.

Yep, I want to run on teams and stop the run so we can get after the passer.

The Carman, Shelvin picks help us do just that.

And Evans is a damn good versatile RB behind Mixon and Perine to also help.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, you are a great poster TLL but you also thought we should just ignore the Defense cause Lou sucks.

I still stand by that, too. I don't think Anarumo can put together a successful defense regardless of what talent you draft him and FA money you spend for him. When he finally gets fired and the Bengals hopefully hire a real DC, he is going to have to get rid of some of Lou's guys anyway to better implement his scheme.

You know what is a worse thing in the world in your eyes, or should be?
[Image: Joe-Burrow-injury-Bengals.jpg?quality=90...all&w=1024]

Yet in FA they added 2 DL and 1 OL and with their first half of the draft they took 3 DL and 1 OL. Blech.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 04:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 350 lbs with 0 pass rush ability.
Hopefully he helps stuff the run though.

I really didn't like much of Day 3 picks at all, honestly.

The run defense is worse than the pass defense. He’s a rotational player with Reader who can play in a 4-3 or 3-4 in the 4th round.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I can't figure out how to embed videos from ESPN, but, in the video on our page, one of the analysts thinks Evans could have been a pick on day 2 and the guy after him says that he agrees with his opinion!

He may not be Gio, but I think he can be a great change-of-pace back and a hell of a safety valve for Burrow to dump the ball off to!

I think this could be another steal by our coaching staff and give us another dimension because I think he's a better ball carrier than Gio and not too bad in the receiving department!

I'm LOVING this team's potential!

Look at this guys highlights, he's on the team already and the Bengals have no use for him so don't get your hopes up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhfSjgdI4Vk
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
Forgot to answer to the main point of the thread when I posted earlier because I got distracted by the talk of needing 4 run stuffing DTs.

I am not sure how Chris Evans could have been a Day 2 pick. He never reached even 700 rushing yards in a season and had less than 500 total between 2019 and 2020. His YPC aren't anything to write home about, and he never showed he could handle a good workload. I am not sure what possible box he checked with his performance to have potentially been a 2nd day pick.

Last 2 Years:
Chris Evans(16gms)... 97/496(5.1)/5 rushing, 27/235(8.7)/1 receiving
- - - - -
Javonte Williams (24gms)... 323/2,073(6.4)/24 rushing, 42/481(11.5)/4 receiving (early 2nd round pick)
Trey Sermon (18gms)... 170/1,255(7.4)/8 rushing, 20/166(8.3)/1 receiving (late 3rd round pick)

Those were the only 2nd day RBs. A guy with a healthy workload while being very very productive coming off a 7.3 YPC/19 Rushing TD season, and a guy who barely squeaked into Day 2 with back-to-back seasons at 7+ YPC.

I don't think anyone is taking a RB with little production who never even led his own team in rushing yards on Day 2.

I am also all-but-positive that Chris Evans is not a better ball carrier than Gio was. Gio in college (23 games):
423/2,481(5.9)25 rushing, 92/852(9.3)/6 receiving

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 09:18 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I am also all-but-positive that Chris Evans is not a better ball carrier than Gio was. Gio in college (23 games):
423/2,481(5.9)25 rushing, 92/852(9.3)/6 receiving

I subscribe to a newsletter from and they mentioned Evans as a ball carrier (as well as the reasons why I like him:

Quote:4. CIN - Chris Evans a fit on third downs?

Source: Pro Football Focus - Michael Renner
Cincinnati Bengals RB Chris Evans averaged 9.8 yards per receptions in collegiate career and Michigan and had two drops on 51 catchable passes, according to Pro Football Focus.
[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]
Evans is a hard-charging running back. He is tough between the tackles but where he could do the most damage in the pros is the passing game. We'll see if the team can use Evans effectively as a receiver out of the backfield. There's some Rex Burkhead (a former Bengals RB himself) to Evans' game.

Gio was a different kind of runner and might have been better in the open field, but I think Evans is better between the tackles (where we won't need him much).

I don't think Evans is better than Gio (not yet, at least), but I also think he's different than Gio and could fit better with what we do here.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 03:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Establishing the run is the easiest way to win a game, even in a passing league.

Not to mention we are in a division with: Lamar Jackson, Kareem Hunt, and Nick Chubb. Pittsburgh will probably field a good rushing attack between Harris and Snell. Being gutted by the run in this division is a non-starter.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 12:56 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: Not to mention we are in a division with: Lamar Jackson, Kareem Hunt, and Nick Chubb. Pittsburgh will probably field a good rushing attack between Harris and Snell. Being gutted by the run in this division is a non-starter.

Yep.

Football basics, especially when our division is built on defense.  Steelers and Ravens were #2 and #3 in scoring defense and top ten in fewest yards allowed.
Reply/Quote
I did really like day 3 of the draft for the Bengals.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 03:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I subscribe to a newsletter from and they mentioned Evans as a ball carrier (as well as the reasons why I like him:

Gio was a different kind of runner and might have been better in the open field, but I think Evans is better between the tackles (where we won't need him much).

I don't think Evans is better than Gio (not yet, at least), but I also think he's different than Gio and could fit better with what we do here.

I can't find it anymore, but a couple years back I believe it was ESPN that used to have stats that showed RB numbers based on the direction of the run. Outside Left, Left, Mid, Right, Outside Right or something like that. Giovani Bernard was better running between the tackles than outside of them according to it. His whole strength as a runner was vision and ability to use blockers extremely well. He did do damage on the outside as pass catcher, or when they ran a real good pulling play with the OL, but he was legit running between the tackles.

I think Gio just got overshadowed because while he was good between the tackles, the Bengals kept taking 230lb RBs in Hill and Mixon so they got the bulk of the between-the-tackle work.

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Bengals killed day 3 of the draft, and when you look at it...McPherson will contribute immediately, while Sample and Shelvin will provide really nice depth and rotation possibilities, and they also have other 3 guys - Hill, Evans and and especially Smith - who could all easily fall into the 'day 3 gems' category as well. I like Hubert too, but he still needs quite a bit of technique/fundamentals work...and maybe an e-collar to keep him under control. LOL 

Depth of talent, and creating competition that won't allow incumbent starters to get lazy....perfect day 3.  Whereas last year it was all (but one) Captains...this year, it is all high-effort, relentless guys.  I love it.  
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I can't figure out how to embed videos from ESPN, but, in the video on our page, one of the analysts thinks Evans could have been a pick on day 2 and the guy after him says that he agrees with his opinion!

He may not be Gio, but I think he can be a great change-of-pace back and a hell of a safety valve for Burrow to dump the ball off to!

I think this could be another steal by our coaching staff and give us another dimension because I think he's a better ball carrier than Gio and not too bad in the receiving department!

I'm LOVING this team's potential!

It is funny.  I heard one of his coaches say his best trait was blitz pickup.  It is like a smaller, faster version of Gio....and in the 6th round.  

The smaller part is, of course, an issue if he can't stay healthy, but I like his story about how he stood there and faced the music and didn't transfer out of Michigan.  

At 4:10, he takes a little checkdown for a nice gain.  That first step is SO QUICK.  That is what has been missing with Gio.  It seems as though Taylor had been wanting this kind of player to complement the bigger backs of Mixon and Perine.  Hope he makes the most of his opportunity.  
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Bengals killed day 3 of the draft, and when you look at it...McPherson will contribute immediately, while Sample and Shelvin will provide really nice depth and rotation possibilities, and they also have other 3 guys - Hill, Evans and and especially Smith - who could all easily fall into the 'day 3 gems' category as well. I like Hubert too, but he still needs quite a bit of technique/fundamentals work...and maybe an e-collar to keep him under control. LOL 

Absolutely.  It isn't inconceivable that the Bengals get 9 guys that actually get significant playing time THIS YEAR from this draft.  The only real developmental guy I see is D'Ante Smith, and you mentioned Hubert but I like how they double dipped on pass rusher (as they have with other spots in the past) so if a guy goes down with an injury you aren't back at square one.  I also like how it creates competition.  

This past year's draft, free agency, and Burrow returning....it is all setting up very well and my biggest hope is these coaches finally show they belong.  
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 09:03 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Well there were a lot of people complaining, on here, last year we didn't have depth and the coaching staff didn't prepare for all the injuries.....
Not to mention there will probably be a couple that get weeded out. Competition is good.

ThumbsUpClappingGood PostYes
Reply/Quote