Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals
(03-22-2019, 01:50 PM)Big Boss Wrote: If he drops to #11, I think it's a combination of 2020 looking like a stronger QB class, and the "QB needy" teams not really being that needy just yet.

Cardinals are presumably taking Kyler Murray.  
Raiders still have Derek Carr.  
Giants still have Eli Manning, are reportedly not very interested in Haskins, and have a connection to Daniel Jones.
Jaguars signed Nick Foles. 
Broncos signed Joe Flacco.
Dolphins signed Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

Granted, the Giants, Jaguars, Broncos, and Dolphins will need to draft their future QBs very soon, but in the short-term they have stop-gag veteran QBs that can win them some games, so they don't necessarily HAVE to draft a QB this year.  Meanwhile we have no clue what Gruden is going to do.  

Obviously, it depends on who's there and who the Bengals BPA is, but we're in a better QB situation than every one of those teams except probably Oakland, not to mention teams looking to trade up for a QB.  If he's as advertised and he's there at 11, the phone should be ringing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Won't happen but, if Daniel Jones is available in the 2nd-3rd round, take him, with no questions asked. I have a feeling this guy is the next great QB in the 2020-2030 era.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 08:08 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Won't happen but, if Daniel Jones is available in the 2nd-3rd round, take him, with no questions asked. I have a feeling this guy is the next great QB in the 2020-2030 era.

I hear people say he won't get out of the first because the Pats would take him if he gets to them.  But he won't get to them.   And something else to think about--the Steelers and the Saints are both getting close to looking for their next QB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 09:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If Haskins is there at 11 I'm not sure how you could pass on him ? I highly doubt he will be.

I agree.  ESPN brought this up this week.  What IF there isn't this predicted run on quarterbacks early.  What if a team drafts a quarterback and not Haskins.  It's all a WHAT IF on ESPN's part.   Not a NO WAY IT WILL HAPPEN over and done discussion, but a WHAT IF.   WHAT IF Haskins is there at 11 ???

I would NOT trade back if we have a choice between Haskins, a top Offensive Tackle, or a top Linebacker.  The player we would get at 11 should be far better than our more limited choices trading back.  

If we take Haskins, I hope the plan would be to get him in the games.  That thing of sitting Carson Palmer his first year was stupid. They learn nothing on the bench.  Rookie quarterbacks showed last year that getting them in the game is the way to go.  If they take Haskins at 11, it would NOT be to sit behind Dalton a few years.  If you draft him, you get him in there.  Maybe try to trade Dalton. 

So, would you draft Haskins and bench or trade Dalton ??? You don't draft at 11 and sit that pick on the bench, the Bengals need players now, ASAP. I have no problem with drafting an offensive tackle, linebacker or Haskins, but pick 11 needs to start and play in 2019. Bengals are far from loaded in talent to not start pick 11.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 09:11 PM)McC Wrote: I hear people say he won't get out of the first because the Pats would take him if he gets to them.  But he won't get to them.   And something else to think about--the Steelers and the Saints are both getting close to looking for their next QB.

The Patriots now have a glaring hole at TE too. Wonder if they'll trade up in the 1st?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 07:21 PM)Big Boss Wrote: When was the last time only one QB was taken in the top 10?

I don't know, but your point is valid.  Heck Christian Ponder, Blake Bortles, and Blaine Gabbert were all drafted pretty high in Rd 1.  So was the kid from Washington...Jake Locker?  There will be a run on QBs, but it will likely be teams hoping to trade up as the really early selectors (Jets, Bills, 49ers, Lions, and Buccaneers all have their supposed QB, but the Cards, Broncos, Giants, Raiders, and Dolphins are kind of wild cards that could go after QBs.

I would say that those are the only real teams (Cards, Giants, Broncos, Raiders, and Dolphins) that are in the running to draft a QB in the first round and no one seems to want to give anything for Rosen, so...

There is a very good chance that Murray would go to the Cards and the Giants would take Haskins.  As far as who would take Lock,  I have no idea.  If the Cards don't take Murray, look for the Dolphins to try and jump in front of the Broncos to get him.  I would call them and make a trade offer for their second rounder so they would know they could get him or the Bengals could select Murray.  

As much as I would prefer Haskins, Let's not forget this is a business and they are going to want to try and sell tickets.  Can you imagine Murray in the same division with Mayfield and Jackson?  The only QB that is a traditional drop back would be Piggy.

You might say Miami wouldn't make that trade because Green Bay isn't taking a QB, but if they think the Bengals will unless they make the trade, it could be interesting.  I know Miami is all about trying to make a splash, and Murray would certainly do that.  Either way, it will be very interesting.  
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 07:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't know, but your point is valid.  Heck Christian Ponder, Blake Bortles, and Blaine Gabbert were all drafted pretty high in Rd 1.  So was the kid from Washington...Jake Locker?  There will be a run on QBs, but it will likely be teams hoping to trade up as the really early selectors (Jets, Bills, 49ers, Lions, and Buccaneers all have their supposed QB, but the Cards, Broncos, Giants, Raiders, and Dolphins are kind of wild cards that could go after QBs.

I would say that those are the only real teams (Cards, Giants, Broncos, Raiders, and Dolphins) that are in the running to draft a QB in the first round and no one seems to want to give anything for Rosen, so...

There is a very good chance that Murray would go to the Cards and the Giants would take Haskins.  As far as who would take Lock,  I have no idea.  If the Cards don't take Murray, look for the Dolphins to try and jump in front of the Broncos to get him.  I would call them and make a trade offer for their second rounder so they would know they could get him or the Bengals could select Murray.  

As much as I would prefer Haskins, Let's not forget this is a business and they are going to want to try and sell tickets.  Can you imagine Murray in the same division with Mayfield and Jackson?  The only QB that is a traditional drop back would be Piggy.

You might say Miami wouldn't make that trade because Green Bay isn't taking a QB, but if they think the Bengals will unless they make the trade, it could be interesting.  I know Miami is all about trying to make a splash, and Murray would certainly do that.  Either way, it will be very interesting.  

I would say that the Dolphins absolutely have to draft a young QB as they have basically Fitzpatrick and nothing else.

If I'm the Raiders, I stay with Carr.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 09:21 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I would say that the Dolphins absolutely have to draft a young QB as they have basically Fitzpatrick and nothing else.

If I'm the Raiders, I stay with Carr.

I agree with you on the Raiders.  The real wildcards are the Broncos and Giants.  I bet one of the two of them take Haskins.  Murray?  If he doesn't go #1 to AZ, he may fall all the way to Miami....or Cincinnati.  I think QB is the last of our worries, but Murray would sell tickets. We had our "unsexy" draft last year with lineman in Rd 1 and a safety in Rd 2.  

If Murray is there at #11, I would hope the Bengals would swap picks with Miami and get their second rounder.  
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Patriots now have a glaring hole at TE too. Wonder if they'll trade up in the 1st?

It's a really deep TE class.  If Hockenson fell into the mid 20's, I could see them giving up a 3rd to get him, but they aren't coming up to 11 for him.
Reply/Quote
Just saw the Raiders are working out Murray and Haskins, kind of interesting.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 10:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree with you on the Raiders.  The real wildcards are the Broncos and Giants.  I bet one of the two of them take Haskins.  Murray?  If he doesn't go #1 to AZ, he may fall all the way to Miami....or Cincinnati.  I think QB is the last of our worries, but Murray would sell tickets. We had our "unsexy" draft last year with lineman in Rd 1 and a safety in Rd 2.  

If Murray is there at #11, I would hope the Bengals would swap picks with Miami and get their second rounder.  

I think the Giants have to take a QB after trading OBJ.
Reply/Quote
It's an easy pass on Haskins for me. There's one thing that rules out a QB in my books - number of starts. The list of QBs that have been successful with one year of starting in college is basically zero.

Give me a Devin Bush, Taylor, Hockenson or Ed Oliver if one is there
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 01:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think the Giants have to take a QB after trading OBJ.

Completely agree.  They have been smoke signaling for weeks with "Eli is our guy", but they are just neglecting the ending "until we have his replacement".  It would be the perfect scenario for Haskins.  I think Eli has two years left on his deal.  Haskins could get reps, maybe play in blowouts (there are bound to be a few) and learn behind Eli.  The question becomes:  Does a team like Denver or Miami jump up to get him (I know the Jets would love more picks sitting there at 3).

It will be interesting.  
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 08:08 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Won't happen but, if Daniel Jones is available in the 2nd-3rd round, take him, with no questions asked. I have a feeling this guy is the next great QB in the 2020-2030 era.

Then take him at 11
Reply/Quote