Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals (/Thread-ESPN-What-If-Haskins-Falls-To-Bengals)

Pages: 1 2

ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - kevin - 03-21-2019

It probably won't happen, but if Giants or Tampa go in another direction, it could. Anything can happen in the draft. ESPN was saying that IF Dwayne Haskins is there are #11, that could be a good pick for Bengals. Yes they have Dalton who they drafted in 2011 but this is 2019 and they have new coaches. Haskins played at near by Ohio State and they all agree on ESPN that he is a good QB in the draft. So good he probably won't be there at 11, but what if he is. ESPN says this would be a hard player to pass over. I kind of agree. Haskins is Big Ben like in that he isn't a runner, but he is hard to sack and he can run out of trouble for yards as Big Ben, plus he has a strong accurate arm. This is not a typical Ohio State QB and can't be compared to any other Ohio State QB because he was a passer and not a runner and more Pro Offense as opposed to Ohio State offense. Haskins will have a stronger arm than Dalton and can throw deeper, not a Dalton strength. Dalton wins games as more of a short passing game arm. Haskins would bring The Bomb to Bengals, but can hit the short routes. It could be Dalton has got Bengals to play-offs, but Haskins could be a rare athlete to win in play-offs against best teams in NFL. There is no question his arm is much stronger than Dalton's. Dalton has to put his whole body into throwing deep. Haskins throws deep as Ken Anderson or Boomer Esiason with a strong arm not forcing his body to go deep.

So your thoughts if Haskins would fall to Bengals at #11 as ESPN discussed this morning. They thought it would be a pick Bengals would have to really consider.

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - fortyyearfan - 03-21-2019

(03-21-2019, 06:09 PM)kevin Wrote: It probably won't happen, but if Giants or Tampa go in another direction, it could.  Anything can happen in the draft.  ESPN was saying that IF Dwayne Haskins is there are #11, that could be a good pick for Bengals.  Yes they have Dalton who they drafted in 2011 but this is 2019 and they have new coaches. Haskins played at near by Ohio State and they all agree on ESPN that he is a good QB in the draft. So good he probably won't be there at 11, but what if he is.  ESPN says this would be a hard player to pass over.  I kind of agree.  Haskins is Big Ben like in that he isn't a runner, but he is hard to sack and he can run out of trouble for yards as Big Ben, plus he has a strong accurate arm. This is not a typical Ohio State QB and can't be compared to any other Ohio State QB because he was a passer and not a runner and more Pro Offense as opposed to Ohio State offense. Haskins will have a stronger arm than Dalton and can throw deeper, not a Dalton strength. Dalton wins games as more of a short passing game arm. Haskins would bring The Bomb to Bengals, but can hit the short routes. It could be Dalton has got Bengals to play-offs, but Haskins could be a rare athlete to win in play-offs against best teams in NFL.  There is no question his arm is much stronger than Dalton's.

So your thoughts if Haskins would fall to Bengals at #11 as ESPN discussed this morning.  They thought it would be a pick Bengals would have to really consider.

If he were to fall to 11,no question you grab the guy.He is a winner and would be our starter for 10 years.This is a no brainer.and I joined the bengals in 1968 as well.I would grab him super FAST. ThumbsUp :andy:

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - kevin - 03-21-2019

(03-21-2019, 06:19 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: If he were to fall to 11,no question you grab the guy.He is a winner and would be our starter for 10 years.This is a no brainer.and I joined the bengals in 1968 as well.I would grab him super FAST. ThumbsUp :andy:
I agree. I like Dalton but he was a 2nd round pick. McCarron was 5th round.  Haskins is top of first round that could end up better than young QBs for Chiefs, Browns or as good.  I'm not the only one that compares Haskins strong arm and hard to sack to Big Ben of Super Bowl rings.  Both throw first and no Happy Feet, but they are hard to sack just the same.

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - leonardfan40 - 03-21-2019

I’d take Haskins in a heartbeat if he is Taylor’s guy...and I’m a Dalton fan and don’t think for a second that he isn’t capable of getting us where we want to go. Haskins is the one QB in this draft that I would want to replace Dalton. I’m not a big fan of any of the others

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - McC - 03-21-2019

Didn't you hear? We already drafted him at 3 with the pick we got in the magic Broo trade.

Hell, Lock might not even make it to 11. These things are a lot better to talk about if there's even an iota of reality involved.

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - Big Boss - 03-21-2019

When was the last time only one QB was taken in the top 10?

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - Bengalitis - 03-21-2019

nothing wrong with have TWO good QBs.

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - psychdoctor - 03-21-2019

Yes, if Haskins is there you take him then grab best available backer in round two, then OT, backer, TE in day 3.

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - Au165 - 03-22-2019

(03-21-2019, 07:21 PM)Big Boss Wrote: When was the last time only one QB was taken in the top 10?

2014- Blake Bortles Draft....god that was a bad QB draft.

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - ochocincos - 03-22-2019

Dwayne Haskins played very well for Ohio St last year and definitely has the best pro potential out of all Ohio St QBs for as long as I can remember. My real only concern is that I wish he would have stayed another year because I'm wary of one-year wonders in college.

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - ochocincos - 03-22-2019

(03-22-2019, 08:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: 2014- Blake Bortles Draft....god that was a bad QB draft.

2013 was an even worse year.
EJ Manuel was the only QB taken in the first round.
Top 5 QBs taken in that draft:
Rd 1 - EJ Manuel
Rd 2 - Geno Smith
Rd 3 - Mike Glennon
Rd 4 - Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - Au165 - 03-22-2019

(03-22-2019, 09:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: 2013 was an even worse year.
Rd 1 - EJ Manuel
Rd 2 - Geno Smith
Rd 3 - Mike Glennon

Yea that was just an ugly run of QB's. 

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - Benton - 03-22-2019

Dalton is decent and, for a starting QB, has a pretty team friendly deal for the next couple seasons. I'm ok keeping him.

If the team thinks it's better to move on after that contract, or trade him heading into 2020, then I'd be ok with taking HAskins if he falls to 11. That would give us a season or two to let him sit and develop.

But, I'd still prefer a defensive playmaker if one is available at 11.

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - Whatever - 03-22-2019

It's really a Zac Taylor call.

However, with so many QB needy teams, if Haskins is getting passed over and falls to 11, you have to kind of wonder what's scaring them off.

I would probably try to trade back, depending on who else is there. I would totally understand if we pulled the trigger, though.

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - Big Boss - 03-22-2019

(03-22-2019, 12:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's really a Zac Taylor call.

However, with so many QB needy teams, if Haskins is getting passed over and falls to 11, you have to kind of wonder what's scaring them off.

I would probably try to trade back, depending on who else is there.  I would totally understand if we pulled the trigger, though.

If he drops to #11, I think it's a combination of 2020 looking like a stronger QB class, and the "QB needy" teams not really being that needy just yet.

Cardinals are presumably taking Kyler Murray.  
Raiders still have Derek Carr.  
Giants still have Eli Manning, are reportedly not very interested in Haskins, and have a connection to Daniel Jones.
Jaguars signed Nick Foles. 
Broncos signed Joe Flacco.
Dolphins signed Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

Granted, the Giants, Jaguars, Broncos, and Dolphins will need to draft their future QBs very soon, but in the short-term they have stop-gag veteran QBs that can win them some games, so they don't necessarily HAVE to draft a QB this year.  Meanwhile we have no clue what Gruden is going to do.  

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - psychdoctor - 03-22-2019

(03-22-2019, 09:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: 2013 was an even worse year.
Rd 1 - EJ Manuel
Rd 2 - Geno Smith
Rd 3 - Mike Glennon

Yikes.  That is horrible talent.   Freakout

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - Bengalpool - 03-22-2019

(03-22-2019, 01:50 PM)Big Boss Wrote: If he drops to #11, I think it's a combination of 2020 looking like a stronger QB class, and the "QB needy" teams this year not really being that needy just yet.

Cardinals are presumably taking Kyler Murray.  
Raiders still have Derek Carr.  
Giants still have Eli Manning, are reportedly not very interested in Haskins, and have a connection to Daniel Jones.
Jaguars signed Nick Foles. 
Broncos signed Joe Flacco.
Dolphins signed Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

Granted, the Giants, Jaguars, Broncos, and Dolphins will need to draft their future QBs very soon, but in the short-term they have stop-gag veteran QBs that can win them some games, so they don't necessarily HAVE to draft a QB this year.  Meanwhile we have no clue what Gruden is going to do.  
I have a feeling the whole Carr being traded thing is just smoke. I see them going defense #4 or trading down for more picks.

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - Synric - 03-22-2019

Dwayne Haskins would have to be in the discussion at #11.

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - PikesPeakUC - 03-22-2019

(03-22-2019, 12:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's really a Zac Taylor call.

I would probably try to trade back, depending on who else is there.  I would totally understand if we pulled the trigger, though.

Yep. I'm trading back at that point and trying to find a deal like the Browns got from the Texans or the Bills got from the Chiefs. 

RE: ESPN, What If Haskins Falls To Bengals - bengalfan74 - 03-22-2019

If Haskins is there at 11 I'm not sure how you could pass on him ? I highly doubt he will be.