Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN is losing talent
(07-18-2015, 03:50 AM)Benton Wrote: Understood. But my point is, sometimes the eye candy is as knowledgeable as the old fat guy. One of the biggest sports people i worked with was an incredibly hot 25 year old.

That's not to day ESPN has been hiring hot, knowledgeable chicks. Or recent players who cam form a complete sentence. They haven't, and they've done a horrible job there. But being pretty doesn't exclude sports knowledge.

True, looks and knowlegde aren't mutually exclusive. I guess I'm not sure if I'm even upset about this trend when I probably watch about two hours of ESPN per year that isn't MNF. I like football and hockey, and there are dedicated networks covering both of those, so ESPN coverage isn't really necessary to what I'm looking for.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 09:33 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: True, looks and knowlegde aren't mutually exclusive.  I guess I'm not sure if I'm even upset about this trend when I probably watch about two hours of ESPN per year that isn't MNF.  I like football and hockey, and there are dedicated networks covering both of those, so ESPN coverage isn't really necessary to what I'm looking for.

That's kind of where I am. I watch mnf. I watch sports center about the entire month of the draft. I watch the draft. And that's it. I dont go there for hockey news, they don't do much on it.

So it doesn't bother me too much because I dont watch it as much as I used to. Of course, I might watch it more if it was better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Someone said in another thread that ESPN is basically MTV now. I only watch ESPN for the sports. When they scroll "breaking news" on the bottom such as "Johnny Manziel to stop using the money sign..." you know it's reached a new low.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 12:27 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Someone said in another thread that ESPN is basically MTV now. I only watch ESPN for the sports. When they scroll "breaking news" on the bottom such as "Johnny Manziel to stop using the money sign..." you know it's reached a new low.

Did they really do that??

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Cowherd grew on me the last 3 years. My job starts at 10:30 weekdays, and I always tuned in for his first 20-25 minutes as I was heading to work. Personally he won me over as a fan of his because he doesnt come off as a fake, and is actually very smart. He is a moderate overall on everything which is what a national host needs to be.

That said their national radio slots will change big time this year, other than Mike & Mike starting the day off. Cowherd will be gone. Van Pelt already left his 1-4 show as what's his name is taking it over, Van Pelts's on-air partner last couple of years. Van Pelt is doing a new show on ESPN, and from what I gather will be like a late-night show (ala tonight show) with him as host and have guests etc.? Might be pretty good actually as I am fan of Van Pelt. He also has the best espn commercials too.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 12:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Did they really do that??

Yes. It's trivial in the grand scheme and it shouldn't have infuriated me...but it did.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 12:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote:  When it comes to telling it like it is though, he does that VERY well. Some people just don't want to hear it though, or are too sensitive, thats why they don't like him. 

Cowherd is nothing but a "button pusher" who says whatever he thinks will stir the pot.

I heard him rant for an hour about how NASCAR was stupid because the drivers were obsessed with revenge and retribution like all southern rednecks.  But when a caller asked him about the big city Red Sox and Yankees throwing at each other he just cut the guy off.
Reply/Quote
Losing Cowherd might not be a bad thing:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/jose-bautista-calls-out-espn-s-colin-cowherd-over-comments-about-dominicans-230723671.html

Quote:“It’s too complex? I’ve never bought into that ‘baseball is too complex.’ Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic has not been known in my lifetime as having world class academic abilities. A lot of those kids come from rough backgrounds and have not had opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have. Baseball is like any sport. It’s mostly instincts. A sportswriter who covers baseball could go up to Tony La Russa and make an argument and Tony would listen and it would seem reasonable. There’s not a single NFL writer in the country who could diagram a play for Bill Belichick. You know, we get caught up in this whole ‘thinking-man’s game.’ Is it in the same family? Most people could do it. It’s not being a concert pianist. It’s in the same family.”
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote