Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN joins in calling out Zac Taylor's plays
(09-22-2021, 02:24 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Honestly, if Dalton stays in there the score may have been a bit more lopsided as he looked good on the first drive. I know, we've seen Dalton collapse before as well but it was a 1PM game with no pressure and that is usually when good Andy shows up and hangs a huge number.

Once Fields was in full time it was like the Bears went into try not to make a mistake mode. His QBR and Rating were terrible, QBR 4.4  RTG 27.7.

This was the most frustrating part about the game for me. I do think if Dalton stayed in, this would have been a lopsided victory for the Bears. He had that offense humming. This would have sucked. We'd all be questioning the defense, coaching, and the team as a whole. But to have Dalton get hurt and the opportunity for a win slip away is worse.

As soon as Dalton gets hurt, a huge door swings open and we have no excuse for not walking through it. The win was there for the taking. We just F'd it up. Should have been an easy win if they showed some patience and called some good plays.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lots of good takes in this thread.

I do think Lazor had our offense humming before all the injuries took hold. We were killing it. Then Eifert gets hurt. Then AJ. Then everyone else. I liked what Lazor did when he had all the weapons at his disposal.

Obviously lots of questions that need answering about Zac's play-calling. There was a point last year where I thought we did hit a groove. We passed it way too much, but it gave us the best chance to move the ball. I do think we need to set up the run with the pass and utiilize our playmakers more.

I'd love to see more runs out of shotgun (these were some of our most successful runs last year). Overall Zac needs to switch it up and not be so predictable based on formation. Make it look like you're gunna pass, then do a draw play. Make it look like you're gunna run, then attack through the air with some extra blocking help. Change things up. And for God's sake attack the defense. Max protect. Whatever you have to do. But attack. And target the weakness of the defense please.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2021, 11:25 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Lots of good takes in this thread.

I do think Lazor had our offense humming before all the injuries took hold. We were killing it. Then Eifert gets hurt. Then AJ. Then everyone else. I liked what Lazor did when he had all the weapons at his disposal.

Obviously lots of questions that need answering about Zac's play-calling. There was a point last year where I thought we did hit a groove. We passed it way too much, but it gave us the best chance to move the ball. I do think we need to set up the run with the pass and utiilize our playmakers more.

I'd love to see more runs out of shotgun (these were some of our most successful runs last year). Overall Zac needs to switch it up and not be so predictable based on formation. Make it look like you're gunna pass, then do a draw play. Make it look like you're gunna run, then attack through the air with some extra blocking help. Change things up. And for God's sake attack the defense. Max protect. Whatever you have to do. But attack. And target the weakness of the defense please.
I recall vividly under Lazor , 3 different players caught
TDs from.Dalton in.that Falcons game
Eifert caught a SEAM ROUTE
AJ scored on a quick out 
And John.Ross of all people scored on 40 yd simple 
Go route up the hash marks
And I think Gio scored on a run.
When 4 different guys can.score in one game
That tells me the OC is using all the  playbook 
And the QB isnt afraid to spread wealth

One thing I.noticed about Burrow so far this year
He isnt spreading the ball distrubution wise.
That INT he threw to Jaylon Johnson staring
Higgie down tells me he is locked on 2 targets at the 
Most on any given pass.
He isnt going.through.his reads.
Reply/Quote
I saw on Paul Dehner's twitter that Zac had said the Bengals identity is to be punishingly efficient running the ball to the point opponents have to bring defenders into the box and then unleash Joe. Does it sound like he wants our identity to be the Browns? Not that the Browns don't have a good thing going right now. But does he realize that the Browns have a really good offensive line and if that was what you wanted our identity to be maybe you take an oline in RD 1.
It's things like this that make me think Taylor is just completely clueless.
Reply/Quote
This is the first time I've ever actually not cared if they win or lose in 25 years. Losing means Zac might get fired, if they cover the spread I'm happy.

Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 12:25 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I saw on Paul Dehner's twitter that Zac had said the Bengals identity is to be punishingly efficient running the ball to the point opponents have to bring defenders into the box and then unleash Joe. Does it sound like he wants our identity to be the Browns? Not that the Browns don't have a good thing going right now. But does he realize that the Browns have a really good offensive line and if that was what you wanted our identity to be maybe you take an oline in RD 1.

No OL that Zac and Co have put together allow them to be a punishing running team.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
If Taylor doesn't turn it around he's going to be fired after this season. We have way too many offensive weapons to be struggling that badly offensively. We never threw a pass over 10 yards the whole first half and put up 0 points. We don't need to bomb the ball 50 yards every play but throwing some 10 yard to 30 yard passes would keep the defense honest and not sit on short routes.

I don't blame Burrow for the bad play calling because even though he can audible out of plays it isn't like he can just choose whatever play he wants. Taylor will call two plays and Burrow can audible out of the first and choose the second play, but if both plays are bad then what can Burrow do about it. He can basically choose from two bad options.

Taylors press conference was just an excuse factory as usual where he blamed turnovers, wide receivers not running correct routes, offensive line play and the defense not making timely stops. He never once mentioned his own horrible play calling

The reason we probably put up points in the 4th quarter was because the Bears went to the prevent defense and were giving up yards. It gave Taylor a false sense of success. In Taylors mind we were close and if we only clean up a few things we'll win those close games. The truth is the comeback we mounted will happen 1 out of 10 times, and if we get behind like that we'll lose more than 90% of the time.

The guy is stubborn and seems to refuse to change the game plan even when it is obvious it is not working. He can take that stubbornness out the door with him when he gets fired at the end of the season if we don't turn it around.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 12:25 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I saw on Paul Dehner's twitter that Zac had said the Bengals identity is to be punishingly efficient running the ball to the point opponents have to bring defenders into the box and then unleash Joe. Does it sound like he wants our identity to be the Browns? Not that the Browns don't have a good thing going right now. But does he realize that the Browns have a really good offensive line and if that was what you wanted our identity to be maybe you take an oline in RD 1.

I like the idea of being punishingly efficient running the ball to get them to stack the box and the unleash Joe, but we dont have the roster for that right now in my opinion. With what we have, it seems like we may be better to open it up more and pass to setup the run more. It can work well both ways. We dont have the OL to be a truly punishing run game yet, but we could build to that in the offseason. Right now lets work with what we got and scheme to our strengths. Our best bet to be that kind of offense is to hope that Carman and Hill both get good really fast and take over for XSF and Hopkins. I dont know how far along they are on that, but we dont hear much about them since preseason ended. 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals under Zac have an offensive identity that's just glaring.. I like to call it the "Zac's waste of talent offense".. That for better or worse IS their identity..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

When Zac says "punushing" running did he go to the 
NFL cliches booklet and find the section 
For adjectives describing running attacks?

He sounds so unconvincing in his interviews.
Like he is trying so hard to sound like he has
A vision and idenity.

If Zac is trying to replicate the Browns success on
The ground he is lacking some components
1. The Browns use 2 RBs with Hunt getting 7 to 12 carries behind Chubb

2. The Browns use a actual FB Andy Jankovic.
2. The Browns run alot of 12 personel. 

Zac says a punishing running game yet the player
Moves in the drafts says totally opposite.
The lack of a FB says different
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2021, 11:49 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I recall vividly under Lazor , 3 different players caught
TDs from.Dalton in.that Falcons game
Eifert caught a SEAM ROUTE
AJ scored on a quick out 
And John.Ross of all people scored on 40 yd simple 
Go route up the hash marks
And I think Gio scored on a run.
When 4 different guys can.score in one game
That tells me the OC is using all the  playbook 
And the QB isnt afraid to spread wealth

One thing I.noticed about Burrow so far this year
He isnt spreading the ball distrubution wise.
That INT he threw to Jaylon Johnson staring
Higgie down tells me he is locked on 2 targets at the 
Most on any given pass.
He isnt going.through.his reads.

I agree. Burrow needs to get better and spread the ball out more. He also needs more time to throw. Needs to get better in the pocket (like he was last year).
Reply/Quote
How about we don’t run every single first down and maybe just maybe how bout Burrow don’t stare down one WR? No matter what plays Zac are calling they’ll suck if Burrow is doing that
-Housh
Reply/Quote