Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ESPN's coverage of our free agent signings
I just found this nonsense funny

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31010041/nfl-free-agency-grades-every-big-signing-trade-2021
Quote:Trey Hendrickson, DE, Cincinnati Bengals
The deal: Four years, $60 million, including $16 million guaranteed
Top 100 ranking: 7

Grade: B

This is a very Bengals deal. They let their own guy, Carl Lawson, leave for a deal with the Jets and signed away Hendrickson from the Saints to replace him. Why not just keep your own guy? The answer lies in the Bengals' preferred contract structure. They don't like to guarantee any money other than the signing bonus, and they kind of didn't here. (The $16 million guarantee is made up of a $10 million signing bonus and a $6 million roster bonus that gets paid on Monday.)

Hendrickson will get $4 million in salary and bonuses this year in addition to that, so he'll get $20 million in the first year, but there'll be no guarantee after that, so the Bengals will have the flexibility they like to have in their free-agent deals. Having not seen the Lawson details yet, I'm left to assume the Jets put second-year guarantees in and that's where the Bengals balked.

Anyway, nerdy contract stuff aside, this basically works out to $32 million for two years for a 26-year-old pass-rusher who had 13.5 sacks last season. Lawson's career high in sacks is 8.5, and it was four years ago. The Bengals did fine here, and as always, they did it their way. -- Graziano

Quote:Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Cincinnati Bengals
The deal: Three years, $21.75 million, $7.5 million guaranteed
Top 100 ranking: 30

Grade: C

Until he signs elsewhere, it's possible that William Jackson could still return to Cincinnati. But assuming he does not, this looks like the Bengals finding his replacement on the cheap. In typical Bengals style, the only guarantee is a $7.5 million signing bonus, and the first-year salary is $1.35 million with the ability to earn $400,000 in per-game roster bonuses. So if they wanted to move on after 2021, they'll have paid Awuzie between $8.85 million and $9.25 million for one year's work.

He's a good player who turns 26 in May and missed eight games last season because of an early-season hamstring issue and a late-season COVID-protocols issue. Dallas let him walk because it basically didn't like anything about its defense in 2020, but he's fine. Just a downgrade from Jackson.

Bengals fans will feel better if the team starts applying some of the savings to offensive line help for Joe Burrow. -- Graziano

He ranks Awuzie as the 30th best free agent out there, we got him for 7 million per year, and this guy grades it as a C and calls him a "cheap replacement" for WJ3, who they rank as their 31st best free agent. He says "in typical Bengals style" as a way of saying we cheaped out.

That's actually even more funny than I thought. I didn't realize they literally ranked Awuzie better than WJIII when I saw his grade.

And then, for Trey Hendrickson, this guy says "this is a very Bengals deal" and basically downplays the signing when they had him as the 7th ranked free agent whereas Lawson is ranked as 37th.

You can't make this shit up dude. It's pathetic how biased they are. They can't even realize their discrepancies even when they post links to their free agent rankings in the very free agent grading article in which they're contradicting their top 100 ranking list. It's top notch comedy.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 07:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I just found this nonsense funny

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31010041/nfl-free-agency-grades-every-big-signing-trade-2021

He ranks Awuzie as the 30th best free agent out there, we got him for 7 million per year, and this guy grades it as a C and calls him a "cheap replacement" for WJ3, who they rank as their 31st best free agent. He says "in typical Bengals style" as a way of saying we cheaped out.

That's actually even more funny than I thought. I didn't realize they literally ranked Awuzie better than WJIII when I saw his grade.

And then, for Trey Hendrickson, this guy says "this is a very Bengals deal" and basically downplays the signing when they had him as the 7th ranked free agent whereas Lawson is ranked as 37th.

You can't make this shit up dude. It's pathetic how biased they are. They can't even realize their discrepancies even when they post links to their free agent rankings in the very free agent grading article in which they're contradicting their top 100 ranking list. It's top notch comedy.

Bengals will never get any national media respect, but whatever who cares. Once they turn things around and start winning (hopefully in my lifetime) that will change.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 07:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I just found this nonsense funny

I mean, the last paragraph about Hendrickson ^ 2nd to last about Awuzi aren't too hateful. I think the assessment is fair, to a degree. I like the signings a lot and am thrilled at how the contracts are steuctured.
Reply/Quote
Is the team better after free agency? No. not even close. At best it’s a C- right now, with the potential to go as high as a B or low as an F.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 07:58 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Bengals will never get any national media respect, but whatever who cares. Once they turn things around and start winning (hopefully in my lifetime) that will change.

Yeah, your like me. Wanna at least see a SB before you die.

Reply/Quote
We sign an O-lineman or two and we will be happy. Getting Hendrickson, Hilton and Awuzie were good signings.

Get Hudson, Gabe Jackson and Sheldon Rankins or something close all is more than well.

ESPN sucks dude. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 08:02 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Is the team better after free agency? No. not even close. 

They replaced Lawson with an All-Pro.

The hate around here is getting silly.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 07:58 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Bengals will never get any national media respect, but whatever who cares. Once they turn things around and start winning (hopefully in my lifetime) that will change.

(03-16-2021, 08:03 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yeah, your like me. Wanna at least see a SB before you die.

Kinda where we are at this point, eh?  

If you had told me me right after SB XXIII that we'd not have another playoff win - let alone another SB appearance - since 1991, I would have called you a damn crazy liar.  Silly me, as it turns out.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 08:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They replaced Lawson with an All-Pro.

The hate around here is getting silly.

For the 100th time he’s not an All Pro.

Reply/Quote
Nobody nationally gives our players any respect, then suddenly when they sign with another team they're the greatest thing ever.

The strategy is to first retain your own quality players who are free agents, or to replace them with comparable players, so you're not just opening up more holes that need to be filled. We've accomplished that. Once that's done, the next phase is to actually add upgrades to the rest of the roster. I expect them to do that. We know they've already looked at guards since they were in talks with Thuney and Zeitler, so that's likely the next move.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 08:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: For the 100th time he’s not an All Pro.

Should of been...
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 08:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: For the 100th time he’s not an All Pro.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HendTr00.htm

scroll about halfway down and it says all pro 2020 ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 08:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Should of been...

I mean, that’s probably fair, but he wasn’t. We can’t go around calling Bates an All Pro despite him deserving it.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 08:41 PM)pulses Wrote: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HendTr00.htm

scroll about halfway down and it says all pro 2020 ThumbsUp

PFWA. People seem to be confused on the difference here. AP All Pro is the top honor.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 08:03 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yeah, your like me. Wanna at least see a SB before you die.

Oh I saw them in both SB's. Was only 7 during the first one and 14 during the 2nd. 33 years later still waiting LOL..

We did have some solid years 2011-2015 regular season wise. but early 2000s and the 90s were a disaster. Last 5 years have been trending towards those teams, and Hope they turn it around again NOW :)
Reply/Quote

Well, I was lucky enough to watch the Bengals play in two Super Bowls in my youth.  Unfortunately, they lost both, but both were very winnable games.  Now, that I'm in my 50's, I'm hoping to not only see Joe Burrow lead them back to the big dance, but to seal the deal and pop that cherry.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 08:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, that’s probably fair, but he wasn’t. We can’t go around calling Bates an All Pro despite him deserving it.

Should of been... lol

Have to say it Nicomo. Don't worry, be happy. We will sign at least 1 good O-lineman I am sure buddy.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 08:02 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Is the team better after free agency? No. not even close. At best it’s a C- right now, with the potential to go as high as a B or low as an F.

Well back here in reality we actually are. WJ3, Lawson, and Alexander are not on the team anymore. That is what happens when your contract runs out and you become a free agent.

We have signed 3 starters on defense and retained a quality #3 safety who is our best special teams player.
Reply/Quote
Regardless the qualifier on Trey's ALL Pro; it's pretty good company:
2020 PFWA ALL-NFL TEAM

Offense
QB – Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
RB – Dalvin Cook, Minnesota Vikings; Derrick Henry, Tennessee Titans*
WR – Davante Adams, Green Bay Packers; Stefon Diggs, Buffalo Bills
TE – Travis Kelce, Kansas City Chiefs
C – Corey Linsley, Green Bay Packers
G – Joel Bitonio, Cleveland Browns; Quenton Nelson, Indianapolis Colts#
T – David Bakhtiari, Green Bay Packers; Jack Conklin, Cleveland Browns

Defense
DE – Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns; Trey Hendrickson, New Orleans Saints
DT – DeForest Buckner, Indianapolis Colts; Aaron Donald, Los Angeles Rams^
OLB – Khalil Mack, Chicago Bears; T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers*
MLB – Fred Warner, San Francisco 49ers
CB – Xavien Howard, Miami Dolphins; Jalen Ramsey, Los Angeles Rams
S – Minkah Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Steelers*; Tyrann Mathieu, Kansas City Chiefs

Special Teams
PK – Justin Tucker, Baltimore Ravens#
P – Jake Bailey, New England Patriots
KR – Cordarrelle Patterson, Chicago Bears*
PR – Gunner Olszewski, New England Patriots
ST – George Odum, Indianapolis Colts
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Hendrickson is basically on a one year prove it deal with the option to keep him 3 more years if he lives up to it.

I think he has considerably higher ceiling than Lawson, but the question is, will he achieve it?

So far he has just been a one year wonder...
Reply/Quote