Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ESPN's coverage of our free agent signings
(03-16-2021, 07:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I just found this nonsense funny

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31010041/nfl-free-agency-grades-every-big-signing-trade-2021

He ranks Awuzie as the 30th best free agent out there, we got him for 7 million per year, and this guy grades it as a C and calls him a "cheap replacement" for WJ3, who they rank as their 31st best free agent. He says "in typical Bengals style" as a way of saying we cheaped out.

That's actually even more funny than I thought. I didn't realize they literally ranked Awuzie better than WJIII when I saw his grade.

And then, for Trey Hendrickson, this guy says "this is a very Bengals deal" and basically downplays the signing when they had him as the 7th ranked free agent whereas Lawson is ranked as 37th.

You can't make this shit up dude. It's pathetic how biased they are. They can't even realize their discrepancies even when they post links to their free agent rankings in the very free agent grading article in which they're contradicting their top 100 ranking list. It's top notch comedy.

Everything he said is 100% correct and fair. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 08:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: For the 100th time he’s not an All Pro.

Technically...any of the 3 of AP, PFWA or SN is considered All Pro. Hendrickson only made the PFWA All Pro so it's kind of like dating the Prom Queen's 2nd alternate. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 08:02 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Is the team better after free agency? No. not even close. At best it’s a C- right now, with the potential to go as high as a B or low as an F.

With the players that have left and the one's we have agreed terms with, Yes I would say we were.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 07:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I just found this nonsense funny

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31010041/nfl-free-agency-grades-every-big-signing-trade-2021

He ranks Awuzie as the 30th best free agent out there, we got him for 7 million per year, and this guy grades it as a C and calls him a "cheap replacement" for WJ3, who they rank as their 31st best free agent. He says "in typical Bengals style" as a way of saying we cheaped out.

That's actually even more funny than I thought. I didn't realize they literally ranked Awuzie better than WJIII when I saw his grade.

And then, for Trey Hendrickson, this guy says "this is a very Bengals deal" and basically downplays the signing when they had him as the 7th ranked free agent whereas Lawson is ranked as 37th.

You can't make this shit up dude. It's pathetic how biased they are. They can't even realize their discrepancies even when they post links to their free agent rankings in the very free agent grading article in which they're contradicting their top 100 ranking list. It's top notch comedy.

Other sites have different rankings.

The guy may write for ESPN but that doesn't mean he was the guy who put together the rankings. It even says the article has Multiple Contributors.

The reactions from the guy on ESPN mirror those of Joe Goodberry who has tweeted he'd rather have Jackson, would rather have Lawson and would rather have Alexander.

See here:

I'm glad to see them getting guys signed, but after all the Tobin talk of not sitting on our hands, all we've done is replace guys we lost. Not one single player that has been signed is going to be here to replace a guy who was bad last year.

Lawson wasn't bad rather or not you want to say Hendrickson is better.

WJIII wasn't bad, again doesn't matter if Awuzie is better in your eyes.

Alexander, was good, and maybe you view Hilton as better.

The problem remains that guys who were shit... are still here, still shit and still not being improved upon.

We literally are treading water as a 4 win team. That isn't how you jump to a 8 to 10 win team.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 08:51 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Hendrickson is basically on a one year prove it deal with the option to keep him 3 more years if he lives up to it.

I think he has considerably higher ceiling than Lawson, but the question is, will he achieve it?

So far he has just been a one year wonder...

True, but so far, he's been healthier than lawson. Which may be the difference maker.

Even if lawson is better (that's debatable), hendrickson has been healthier. And if you miss more than a few games each season due to injury, you're only as good as your backup.

Overall, we haven't done bad this fa. I'd have liked some ol, but there's still some decent guys out there.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 10:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Technically...any of the 3 of AP, PFWA or SN is considered All Pro. Hendrickson only made the PFWA All Pro so it's kind of like dating the Prom Queen's 2nd alternate. 

Eh, I'd say it's more like dating the homecoming queen instead of the prom queen.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 12:41 AM)Benton Wrote: Eh, I'd say it's more like dating the homecoming queen instead of the prom queen.

Both are High Schoolers so it's still kind of weird.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
I think he meant the structure of the deals were typical Bengals fashion....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 12:15 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Other sites have different rankings.

The guy may write for ESPN but that doesn't mean he was the guy who put together the rankings. It even says the article has Multiple Contributors.

The reactions from the guy on ESPN mirror those of Joe Goodberry who has tweeted he'd rather have Jackson, would rather have Lawson and would rather have Alexander.

See here:

I'm glad to see them getting guys signed, but after all the Tobin talk of not sitting on our hands, all we've done is replace guys we lost. Not one single player that has been signed is going to be here to replace a guy who was bad last year.

Lawson wasn't bad rather or not you want to say Hendrickson is better.

WJIII wasn't bad, again doesn't matter if Awuzie is better in your eyes.

Alexander, was good, and maybe you view Hilton as better.

The problem remains that guys who were shit... are still here, still shit and still not being improved upon.

We literally are treading water as a 4 win team. That isn't how you jump to a 8 to 10 win team.

Big facts.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I know everyone wants offensive linemen that's a given, but I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on Wide Receivers?

The guys I like:

Some of the younger guys
Will Fuller (Texans)
Curtis Samuel (Panthers)
Sammy Watkins (Chiefs) --> I really like this guy, offers explosive playmaking potential, but since he has never fully realized it he could come cheap. Its mostly his potential vs possible price.

Some of the older guys
John Brown (Bills)
TY Hilton (Colts)
AJ Green (Bengals) --> I'm biased and a Georgia fan but I'd still like to see Green back at the right price.
Reply/Quote
Curtis Samuel

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 02:51 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I know everyone wants offensive linemen that's a given, but I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on Wide Receivers?

The guys I like:

Some of the younger guys
Will Fuller (Texans)
Curtis Samuel (Panthers)
Sammy Watkins (Chiefs) --> I really like this guy, offers explosive playmaking potential, but since he has never fully realized it he could come cheap. Its mostly his potential vs possible price.

Some of the older guys
John Brown (Bills)
TY Hilton (Colts)
AJ Green (Bengals) --> I'm biased and a Georgia fan but I'd still like to see Green back at the right price.

I'm one of the few worried about receiver. Green is most likely gone I'm guessing to the packers or bears. And if people are right and we pick up sewell in the draft we are going to be screwed at receiver. I like samuel a lot but he's not really a burner but he's got nice hands and do it all receiver.  Also there's another receiver out there I forget his name. I don't like fuller Hilton or watkins.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 03:16 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: I'm one of the few worried about receiver. Green is most likely gone I'm guessing to the packers or bears. And if people are right and we pick up sewell in the draft we are going to be screwed at receiver. I like samuel a lot but he's not really a burner but he's got nice hands and do it all receiver.  Also there's another receiver out there I forget his name. I don't like fuller Hilton or watkins.

Uh...wut?

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 03:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Uh...wut?

Uh what? Watch his highlights ,he's not ever going long or burning anyone and he's not tall either. But what I see is a very solid posession receiver who also can play running back. If you think hes our missing piece deep threat you will be wrong. Problem is we have two posession receivers already. 
Reply/Quote
I agree with Goodberry. Our FA signings should be about the future beyond Zac and Lou, but that's obviously counterintuitive to what Zac and Lou want, since they are trying to make the team into something it's not (3-4 hybrid Zone D with an O that thinks it has the 2005/2015 shrooms).
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 03:41 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: Uh what? Watch his highlights ,he's not ever going long or burning anyone and he's not tall either. But what I see is a very solid posession receiver who also can play running back. If you think hes our missing piece deep threat you will be wrong. Problem is we have two posession receivers already. 

He runs a 4.3. He’s absolutely a burner.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 04:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He runs a 4.3. He’s absolutely a burner.

You mean he ran a 4.3 one time? I know you're probably a fanboy of his but watch his tape. Hes not burning anyone. But I will say he looks like hes made for a bellicheck system. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 04:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He runs a 4.3. He’s absolutely a burner.

I'd rather have a Kenny Golliday type of receiver, I see him catching out routes,stuff that green used to do. At least Golliday has size. He looks about the same speed as Samuel's. Now if we didn't have boyd and Higgins combo I'd be all for Samuel's. But Samuels is not tall and doesn't look like a deep threat. He runs all intermediate routes. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 04:55 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: I'd rather have a Kenny Golliday type of receiver, I see him catching out routes,stuff that green used to do. At least Golliday has size. He looks about the same speed as Samuel's. Now if we didn't have boyd and Higgins combo I'd be all for Samuel's. But Samuels is not tall and doesn't look like a deep threat. He runs all intermediate routes. 

I would be okay with Golliday I just assumed he would take too much money, which I would hope would go towards offensive line and maybe a DL or LB.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 04:43 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: You mean he ran a 4.3 one time? I know you're probably a fanboy of his but watch his tape. Hes not burning anyone. But I will say he looks like hes made for a bellicheck system. 

Curtis Samuel looks very fast and quick on the field. My biggest issue is he takes alot of slot reps especially 2020 under Joe Brady when he was used as both a WR and RB like Tyreek Hill. With Tyler Boyd in the Offense Curtis Samuel's slot reps will be limited.

(03-17-2021, 04:55 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: I'd rather have a Kenny Golliday type of receiver, I see him catching out routes,stuff that green used to do. At least Golliday has size. He looks about the same speed as Samuel's. Now if we didn't have boyd and Higgins combo I'd be all for Samuel's. But Samuels is not tall and doesn't look like a deep threat. He runs all intermediate routes. 

The Bengals already have a Kenny Golladay type in Tee Higgins and to a lesser extent in Auden Tate. What they need is that Z receiver that can threaten a defense vertically to keep the secondary from jumping the underneath routes like we've seen since 2016. John Brown TY Hilton. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote